16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Federal 209a primers
L Kenney
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:23 am  Reply with quote

I'm just getting back into reloading and plan to use a mix of old AA and Federal purple hulls, plus some RGLs I've been saving. I 'll certainly check the appropriate reloading data before starting up, but I'm curious if anyone has any low pressure 1 oz. loads that use Federal 209a primers. A friend gave me 1000 of them and I understand they're somewhat hotter than the Win 209s I used to use.
megafatcat
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:37 am  Reply with quote

The hogdon website was a lot of loads listed with the pressures and various primers. I use their powders because they put out the effort to give the data.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:05 am  Reply with quote

Definately hotter than a WW209. One of the hottest on the market. The Federal 209A is a favorite of the black powder crowd for lighting off heavy charges of hard to ignite replica BP in their inlines.

I use the Federal 209A for all my cold weather heavy hunting loads calling for hefty charges of slow burning powders like Blue Dot. I adjust the powder charge downwards a couple of grains if the load recipe calls for a milder primer. I'd not use them in a max load that calls for a milder primer though. I also never use heavy loads in old guns either. So I'm not putting myself or my guns in jeapardy.

If you are loading mild and more moderate pressure loads for use in a modern gun, the swap should not be a problem. It will probably raise pressures a bit, but you won't go into the red zone.

There is also no reason why you can't adjust the powder charge of most loads downward to compensate. Read the recipes in a few manuals to compare the effect the 209A has on similar loads. This will help you figure out what is safe and what could cause problems.
KolarDan
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:40 am  Reply with quote

16GG is correct. They are hotter! Shocked Shocked
L Kenney
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:21 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks gents. I'll do my homework.
Larry