16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  New arrival soon
TJC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:25 pm  Reply with quote

Just finished the deal on a A H Fox Sterlingworth, Utica gun, 16 ga. Gun is 95% orig cc and 99% orig blue, with orig wood finish.
Should be here Tues. I have the standard 3 day inspection but unless something is seriously wrong with it, it's staying. I've been looking for a nice Fox 16 and even missed a couple where I waited the extra day to decide. Not this time.

Can't wait to get it, just too bad the bird season is coming to an end. Might have to take a trip out to the preserve to give it a try. Very Happy

XVIgauge
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:33 pm  Reply with quote

TJC,
Sounds like you will have a great gun. I envy you. Tell us all the details when it arrives. You will love it for a long time I am sure.
XVI

fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:38 pm  Reply with quote

TJC,

Gotta love them SW's!! Hope it's what it claims to be be and that you love it. I love mine, and this one sounds a little better. Nothing like a Fox double! Good luck with it...

Fin

Last edited by fin2feather on Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
TJC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:15 pm  Reply with quote

fin,
I'm sure hoping it's everything it appears to be. Only thing that might be in question is the wood and only because it has the orig finish on it. May have to look into having it restored. The metal all seems to be fine. We'll know Tuesday.
Now I need to find some 2.5" shells. So far the ArmUSA stuff seems to be the least expensive. I've got some RST 2.5" shells but can't find them anywhere to purchase.

Anybody have a source for those? Sad

XVIgauge
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:41 pm  Reply with quote

I have found Westley Richards 2 1/2" shells to be great. They are not terribly expensive and you can order them direct. I believe their site is www.westleyrichards.com
You might need to think about loading your own. I use a cheddite hull and trim it down to 2.5" I close them up w/ a roll crimp die. They work great.
Ballistic products has all the stuff and the info. www.ballisticproducts.com
XVI

fin2feather
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:32 pm  Reply with quote

TJC,

What year is it? Mine is a 1935 Utica gun and takes 2-3/4". Are you sure yours is 2-1/2"?

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
TJC
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:02 pm  Reply with quote

fin,
Not sure of the year but the chamber measures 29/16ths. I assume that is 2.5" for all intents and purposes.
I'll have the serial number Tues when I pick it up.

So far it would seem the ArmUSA ammo is the least expensive and actually has the highest vel listed of 3 or 4 different brands. $130.07 for a case of 500. I just hate to buy 500 and find out it doesn't shoot well. Sad

Probably would make much more sense to have the chambers extended for 23/4" shells. I just hate to take a gun that is all orig, esp if it's as nice as it's suppose to be and then change it. Confused

dannypratt
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:18 pm  Reply with quote

Hey there TJC,
I gotta say, I would take the $ plunge and buy at least one box of even expensive 2-1/2" and try it at the local trap club. I have to say that I would agree strongly w/ you about alteration. It's similar ( yours is a more extreme case, being a Fox ) to aquiring a Browning 3 Shot 16ga Auto-5 and having it altered to take 2-3/4". I mean, it's practical, but if it's 95% or better, I say keep it original and enjoy it's beauty and perfection as what it is , a true vintage 16 ga.
enjoy it!
-danny
TJC
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

danny,
Thanks for the input. That is my intention for now. I can't see altering it when the shorter ammo is available. I will only be using it for upland so a case or 2 will hold me for the season. Especially when I use the Merkel 16 for most of the field work anyway. Very Happy

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:09 pm  Reply with quote

Agree completely with DP. As nice as this gun sounds, it's probably going to be your fun/preserve/nice weather 16 since you've got the Merkel for bustin' brush, getting rained on, and wild late season pheasants that need to be hit hard. My quail gun is a 1922 20g. Trojan with 2 and 1/2" chambers that shoots like a dream with 3/4 oz short loads of 71/2s. Have fun and post pics when you can!
TJC
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:34 pm  Reply with quote

Gun has arrived and I'm going to keep it. Very Happy
It's a later year Savage Fox Sterlingworth. Good news is the chambers are not 2.5" but 23/4". Not that I was worried about the short chambers but it is nice not to have to have 2.5" shells.

There are a couple of small marks in the blueing on one of the barrels. I would rate the blueing at about 95% and not the 99 I was told. The CC is every bit of 95% that I was quoted.

Wood has very minor dings from handling in the stock and the forend shows a bit of the orig varnish type finish wearing where it has been held.

The bores are a nice bright shiney condition. Not a mark or dull spot in them.
They are choked just over LM at .012 and just over IM at .023.

Serial number puts it towards the end of the Fox Sterlingworth runs.

All in all a very nice orig Sterlingworth.

fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:14 pm  Reply with quote

Awesome, TJC!!! I had a feeling that if it was a late Savage SW as you suspected that it would be 2-3/4. Sounds like it has condition, too. But, as I'm sure you know: Fox guns are made to be hunted. You'll never feel better afield than when you've got that Fox gun in the crook of an elbow. Enjoy, my friend!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

TJC
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:23 pm  Reply with quote

fin,
Thanks. The gun is sweet. I thought I might have to wait until next year to take it afield but I may have one more outing this year.
I just got an email about heading out to the Griffin and Howe Farm the end of this month. If I make the outing, I can guarantee that the new Fox SW will be one of 2 guns that is going to down some pheasants. Very Happy