16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Wad for steel
johs
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:18 am  Reply with quote

I have used the VP80 wad for steel, but i would like a wad for steel with a "damping" part. The wad Clever Mirage use in their 16 ga 7/8oz. steel shot seems nice. I have asked they for the possibility to buy the wad from them, but they don't sell only the wads. Do any one now what kind of wad they use and if it possible to buy that wad from some where? Is it others wads for steel in 16ga on the marked?
putz463
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:41 pm  Reply with quote

Hello, welcome aboard.

CM makes a 7/8oz 16ga steel load with a wad that has a crush section? I'd like to see that. Can you post a link (I couldn't find one) please?

Why the need for a "damping" part? Would a felt, styro or cork spacer in the VP80 dampen the load for you?

Mike

rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

Gualandi makes steel shot wads with a cushion section. The crushable section isn't there to help the shot. It helps keep the pressure down with lighter steel loads and allows the use of medium burn rate powders, at least in a 12 gauge.

I only worked with the 12 gauge wads. I don't think that Gualandi makes a 16 gauge version. B & P makes both 12 and 20 gauge steel shot wads. Been awhile and I don't remember if I ever tried the B & P's.

Good luck trying to find out who makes the 16 Gauge steel wads. Buy some of the steel loads, cut them apart, and start looking for telltale signs of which company might have made it. The company that makes the loads WILL NOT tell you. I would bet, on Fiocchi, B&P or Gualandi.

You might try someone that pressure and velocity tests ammo (not the powder companies). Those folks have some good sources.

johs
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:28 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry it took a will. I'm training a new dog so my time is spend with him Smile

Here is the wad:

Here is the shell:

The wad is short so it will only hold 17 grams of shot, so some of the shot is over the shot cup on the wad. I have put a black line on the shell to show where the shot cup ends. I have shot a lot of this shells and like them very mutch but would like to have the wad to load it my self.
putz463
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:08 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the pictures; from what I've read it seems a bit difficult.

Is this a 16ga load? I could not find a 16ga steel load on their web site.

What is the posted speed? If my math is correct 17gr= just a hair over 9/16 oz of steel. Is 5/16oz +/- of unprotected shot going up the barrel? Is there a mylar wrap in that load? Are you seeing any barrel scrub from unprotected pellets?

What shot size are you using and on what game.

Sorry about all the questions but I've been doing ALOT of home work and experimenting with steel shot and would like to know all I can about this load. I have an email in to them also.

Thanks for bringing this ammo Co. to my attention, they offer a 24ga load that I'm always interested in learing more about. Mike

johs
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:32 am  Reply with quote

This is a 16ga load. It's not spesified on their web site but it's called 16ga T1 24gram steel US 7.
In this catalog from a shop in Norway you will find it on page 7: http://www.gresvig.no/upload/3159/Jakt%202008.pdf

It's a trap load but I have used them on crows with good results (need to shot the bird on less then 30 yards)

It's not posted any speed on them.
I have not see any barrel scrub from unprotected pellets. Mayby they all compress into the wad when fired.?
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:06 am  Reply with quote

Johs, thanks for the info; really appreciate it.

A 24gm load is closer to 3/4oz leaving only 3/16-1/4oz of shot above the cup. You may be right that upon set back the shot is contained in the cup. Don't know just a guess.

It looks as though the T1 designation is a "dram eqiv" type rating giving reference to speed. Again just a guess.

Funny they dont list speeds or this load on the web site?!!

Good luck finding that wad, I'll keep my eyes open and let you know if anything comes up. Thanks again, Mike

topcat
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:13 am  Reply with quote

The Europeans seem to rate their target shells for quality as T1,entry level,T2 better and so on. Regards Tom