16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  16 Gauge Shells at Dick's Sporting Goods
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:54 am  Reply with quote

I found a couple flatys of the black Remingtons at my local Dick's for $3.79 less a 5% case discount. I had to ask the ckerk to check in the back room and that is where he found the two flats. $35.00 a flat didn't seem too bad. These were 1 ounce of 7 1/2's and will work for my clay target needs. It doesn't hurt to ask!

TJC
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:49 am  Reply with quote

That's where I usually get them too. If you get really lucky you can get them on sale plus the case discount. Last 2 cases I bought were under $3 a box. It don't get much better. Very Happy

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:27 pm  Reply with quote

Not a bad price-here in Illinois-Rural King has the best price$3.09 a box.These hulls load forever with a decent charge of Universal Clays.Regular price on the 16's is $4.69 Evil or Very Mad It pays to watch the ads and stock up when they are on sale Wink
canam
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:58 pm  Reply with quote

I called my local Dick's and got this: "We don't have any" and "We get it sometimes but I don't know when" Duh.
I will keep looking and reloading.
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:55 pm  Reply with quote

I had to ask my young clerk to go look in the back room for some 16 gauge shells--whecih he found! It is too easy to say no over the phone.

Wolfchief
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:17 pm  Reply with quote

Just this morning I visited a Dick's store at South Bend, IN and the young clerk there had "no idea" when they would get more 16 ga. Game Loads, or what the shot size would be on that good day when they did get resupplied. The implication being, "not only do I not know; I also could care less".....another classic case of "highly skilled, intelligent personnel who eagerly await the opportunity to serve you"

RuffBuff
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:18 pm  Reply with quote

Hey guys. I mentioned in another post that I used to sell guns in a retail store. Well guess where it was - yep, Dicks Sporting Goods.

I know my guns and ammo and have several 16s, so I'll just ask you to trust my veracity on how Dick's does business. I don't come around here much so many don't know my experience level. I get most of my 16 ammo in case lots from Kent in Kearney, WV. Dynamite stuff that diamond shot. Reasonably priced too.

Dick's buys from their suppliers and sells to the customer whatever they can either get really cheap or whatever's on "close-out". That's why you buy something at a Dick's and go back later for another of the same thing to find that they're out and won't be getting anymore. Remember those nice Beretta White Wings and those nice little Verona LX501/LX502 20-gauges? When's the last time you saw a 16 at Dick's? I worked there for 3-4 years and couldn't get one into stock for love nor money. Ever see a 28-gauge gun at Dick's?

At any rate, that's the way it is with 16-gauge Remington Game Loads. It's usually either feast or famine depending on whether they can get 'em real cheap or not. The fact that someone had some in the back room was just a stroke of luck most likely. Our store never got a whole lot of 16s and, if and when we did, what we got were either 6s or 7-1'2s.

Not every Dick's Lodge employee is someone who's a dud ... there are quite a few still there who really know their stuff and have a lot of knowledge to share in terms of hunting and fishing, who love dealing with outdoor-loving customers just like you and me, yet who are totally frustrated as heck as to what cheap and/or non-existent product is put on the shelves at the Dick's store with no rhyme nor reason - hit and miss. It's all about the P&L statement that the stockholder sees - to hell with what the customer needs/wants. If they find product dirt cheap somewhere they'll bring it into the store and take your money at regular price. That's business, right?

Don't mean to come off like a jerk of a "know-it-all"! As you can tell, I'm not the biggest fan of Dick's and the way they do business in terms of taking care of their customers ... I just know for a fact that the Lodge Sales Associates are the last ones to pound on. I used to be one. Heck, even the Store Managers' hands and the Corporate Buyers' hands are tied. Take a look at all the Mossbergs, Stoegers and Rossi's and you know what the stocking objectives are. Talk to the "bean counters" and the Corporate Officers that have to face the stockholders ... they're the ones that have the clout to make the difference. Customers take a backseat WAY behind the stockholders nowadays.

Sorry about the rant folks, but I've been there and done that and I've got the stacks of emails that I sent to Corporate telling them about the people that I've seen walking into the store with money in their fists ready to spend it and we didn't have anything to sell them and couldn't even order it.

“Hunting is one of the last genuine, personal adventures of modern man. Just as game animals are the truest indicators of quality natural environment, so hunting is the truest indicator of quality natural freedom.” … John Madson
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:33 pm  Reply with quote

RuffBuff: I take your point that not everyone is a "dud" at Dick's. But I have to call it as I see it too....as a senior vice president at a major regional bank, as you might imagine, service levels and methods of motivating employees to better service are a frequent topic at our management staff meetings. We hire independent "shoppers' to visit our branches and give us feedback on the levels of service perceived. We need to hear the bad with the good if we are to make meaningful improvement for the betterment of our clients ! And so does Dick's.... I do know for a fact that there is a right and a wrong way to handle the situation when your institution does not carry a requested product or service.

The Dick's clerk I encountered handled it the WRONG way. No meaningful effort was made to empathize with the client, ask what else we might need/want, and no offer was made to check "in the back" or anywhere else. No offer was made to ask for my name/number to call me when the 16's come in---which I'm sure they eventually will....I leave you to judge the employee's performance in this particular instance; which is not necessarily an isolated instance where this store is concerned.

I'm done with my rant now too....

fred lauer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:01 pm  Reply with quote

Dick's recently opened a store in my area with the usual store opening SuperBuys on ammo.Their poeple were nice but they got me the wrong shells . When I realized it I was half way across the parking lot and went right back in.When I explained that a mistake had been made (without blaming anyone),I was informed that I was shit out of luck because it's a BATF regulation that once you pay for them they are yours.Apparently that regulation is unknown at our local gunshop,as I have on rare occasion, exchanged steel rounds for a different size before I left their parking lot.Needless to say I refuse to shop at Dick's.I guess their name says it all for me.

TJC
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:52 pm  Reply with quote

I've been to the Dick's in E.Hanover, NJ a few times for ammo. They've had 16 ga. almost every time. Maybe not as much as I wanted a couple of times, but they had some. Each time when I asked the clerk checked the back room. 2 or 3 times they had cases in the back that I bought. I can't really complain. I will say though that the shot size in the store has always been 6 or 7.5's, that's it.

Scolari
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:28 pm  Reply with quote

I generally have had the same luck at most local stores. Not much selection if any at all.
I have visited a Gander Mountain store about 50 miles away in Kentucky. They have a lot of 16 gauge ammo. They had Remington and Federal steel, Fiocchi in a number of sizes, Winchester, Federal and Remington slugs and even Bismuth in 16 gauge. Now they didn't have but one 16 gauge gun on the shelf but I can't complain about their selection of ammo.
I've been to the Bass Pro Shop in St Louis and they had very little 16 ga ammo. Maybe it is just a matter of who is managing the store.
jchandler
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:09 pm  Reply with quote

Scolari, Is that the Gander Mountain in Paducah?

Jeff
Scolari
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:00 am  Reply with quote

Yes Jeff, thats it. I never did get any real bargains but the prices are less than ordering them. I did get a good deal on steel shot at the end of Duck season.