16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  remington peters
Jgoodman1933
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:36 pm  Reply with quote

Can somebody help me identify this as a reload or factory? 6 crimp black shell with only a number 6 on it. I counted 220 pellets looked like size six. The powder was large flakes. The wad was light green with 4 holes on top of 3 oval chambers. There was a green ring at the bottom of the shell. the powder was 17 GN on a rcbs 5.0.5 scale. I bought 5 boxes. Is it safe to shoot? Is it a old shell? Thanks for any help.
Tom.

Bill Layman
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:49 am  Reply with quote

You have an older version of the Remington Game Load (RGL). The shot count is correct for a 1 oz. load of 6 shot. The wad is the old R16 1 oz. typically used in factory shells. The powder sounds like a non-canister (unavailable to reloaders) flake powder. Should be safe to shoot in any modern gun.

Bill Layman
Jgoodman1933
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:38 pm  Reply with quote

Bill Layman thanks a lot for your help with these shells. I used them at a hunt club on Sunday. They worked great at 20-30 yards Phez were sitting tight for our labs. I went back and bought all the 16 ga shells he had. Rem Power Piston 3 boxes 10 boxes of Express Long Range brass says Peters. Western 10 boxes. We are leaving Wed AM for White Lake SD I'll take them out there with me. Thanks again. Tom

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:00 am  Reply with quote

Properly stored shotshells (or any modern fixed ammo) can last for many years with little to no deterioration. All they require is a cool dry place. Heat and dampness can and will ruin even fairly new ammo in a season or two.

That said, you would better better off trying a couple of loads from each box of any ammo older than a few years unless you know for certain how they were kept. This is especially important if you are travelling and can't stop for a couple of boxes of fresh ammo. Since you are a 16 gauge fan, you probably already know how spotty sources for ammo can be. Better off safe than sorry when the birds flush. Have a great hunt.
Jgoodman1933
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:38 pm  Reply with quote

16 guage guy
thanks for the advice on the ammo. I also brought a bunch of fiocchi gf#5
I am the only one in a group of 7 who shoots a 16ga. I was using the rem ammo and my stevens 5100 sxs 28" ic and mod. I missed the first ten birds. Not even a feather. My confidence was really low and my buddies were giving me a lot of shit for using a 16ga. I put the sxs away and loaded up the marlin dt 90 28" mod and full with the fiocchi. Killed the first three roosters I shot at. The next two days were great. SD birds are a lot different than the club preserve we warmed up at. Those birds are sooo fast.
PS I have been asking to pattern any 16 ga I am thinking of buying. Most everybody says no problem.