16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Help Robt Yochim
16ga.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:41 am  Reply with quote
Site Admin
Site Admin

To whomever can help me, please:

I'm posting this for Robert Yochim. I hope Russ Gray will find this. Everyone is welcome to chime in.

--Doug

I would appreciate some help in finding recipes to reload Winchester Super-X and Remington game load 16gauge hulls. I have the Sixteen Gauge manual from BPI and almost all of their recipes are for Fiocci hulls and some of their own hulls. I have acquired quite a collection of Winchester Super-X and Remington hulls, and would like to reload them. There is very little information available (to my knowledge and research) for reloading these hulls. Please advise.

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,
Robert Yochim
1329 Kings Coach Circle
Grand Blanc, MI 48439-7628
robert.y@comcast.net

Semper Limitae
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:49 am  Reply with quote

All kinds of info for both hulls here:

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:16 am  Reply with quote

16 ga data is available online at almost all the the various powder company web sites. Complimentry Alliant and Hodgdon manuals are available for the asking. I think Olin also still publishes data for their ball powders. Older company manuals can often be found stored in the back of older established gun shops as well. Ask for them anytime you are visiting. The shop owners are often more than glad to hand them out to you. I've also found manuals dating back to the 1970's in the accumulated stuff at many gun clubs. Older shooters who reload also are an excellent source for spare manuals. Just start a conversation bout reloading, and you'll often get morwe help than you might think or even handle.

The Remington Gl16 black hulls and light green (non-translucent) 16 ga Express hulls are identical internally. They have remained the same for at least a decade now and can be be interchanged for all available data. However, they have a smaller internal volume than any other available 16 ga hull and will reach higher pressures and velocities with less powder. They require their own recipes. Use only the data published specifically for them. Along with the Remington R16 and SP16 wads, the new 16 ga Claybuster AA type wads and the new Downrange wads are about ideally sized for Remington hulls. So you can easily use any of them. Alliant/Hercules data published after 1994 has been designed for these hulls. Green Dot, Unique, and Herco are all good powders to use for specific loads. 16 grains of Green Dot will do fine for any 3/4 or 7/8 ounce load using the Remington hull and the Down Range wad. Use Unique and Herco for any heavier load up to 1-1/8 ounce, and Blue Dot for the real heavy stuff.

Olin/Winchester has not been using or producing the WW 16 ga compression formed hull for nearly two decades. Consider them obsolete for all data developed after 1990. They are not interchangable with any of the WW polyformed hulls. They have a smaller internal capacity, and like the Remington hulls, will reach higher pressures and velocities with less powder. They are not interchangeable with the Remingtons. Alliant data is still available for the hull. The 1995 reloader's manual includes some. Alliant might have oner available. You can call the 1-800 number or email them for one.

Olin has also been contracting its 16 ga ammo production offshore for over a decade. The newer hulls are all red, polyformed, and have WW SUPER X stamped on the hull. However, the contracted factories have changed and so have the hulls' internal configurations in subtle ways. These WW polyformed hulls can look almost identical externally, but the plastic base wads can vary in thickness and shape. Sort them carefully by base wad type and do not interchange them. Mild and moderate pressure data from the latest published sources can be safely used for any of them, but velocities and pressures will vary to some degree between the various types. Stay on the safe side by avoiding max pressure data and heavier hunting loads for any of them until you know exactly which WW SUPER X hull was used in developing the recipe.

Fiocchi 16 ga hulls are a near match internally for many of the newer WW hulls and for Cheddite type hulls as well. Bisect a couple of each type vertically down to the steel base rim and trim one side away to expose the base wads. If the thicknesses and shapes are about ther same, then the mild to moderate data for the Fiocchi loads can also safely be used in the WW polyformed hulls. Again, don't swap the hulls to load any heavy or max pressure data developed for a specific hull.

Nearly any of the imported 16 ga wads like Cheddite, Gualandi, or the B&P Z wads will fit the roomier hulls very nicely. These European wads are all imported by the various reloading specialty stores under various made up names. However, it is fairly easy to learn to identify which is which if you first investigate the online store fronts. You can also use the Remington, Claybuster, and Down Range wads as well since they have a slightly smaller diameter. However the bigger European wads can be too tight a fit in the Remington hulls.

Your loads will also perform more uniformly if you sort the hulls by type and do not mix them, even if the data for one is safe for another. Doing so will also help you keep track of the number of times each batch of hulls has been used. This will also help you know when that specific batch is used up.