16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  FYI Claybuster wads
ars1876
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:06 am  Reply with quote

The November issue of Shotgun Sports magazine has a write up on this wad along with 9 loads for it.
KolarDan
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:27 am  Reply with quote

They work great with the RGL hull Exclamation Exclamation
KolarDan
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:44 am  Reply with quote

I've been loading and shooting many of these at skeet lately and man they are great. The powder blue claybuster seals well in the RGL and I have not had even one "pooof".

I am loading a 1,200 fps load of 1 oz. of 8's and they just smoke they clays. They look like factory shells coming out of my P&W 375 Duro-Matic Cool Cool
Flytier
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:37 am  Reply with quote

KD,

I am loading 7/8 oz #8 in RGL's with my PW375, but it consistently throws light. I am actually shooting a 24 gram load (might as well be shooting international skeet with that weight). Does your bushing throw a true 1 oz load and if so, did you modify it to do so? I recently picked up bags of 8.5 and 9 to test with and see what I like best for skeet.

flytier
BigCreekMI
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:46 pm  Reply with quote

What powder, how much and what primer ?? All appropriate disclaimers acknowledged. Thanks in advance, Erik in MI

KolarDan
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:16 am  Reply with quote

I am loading 19.7 Grains of Universal Clays, CB Wad, Rem. 209 Primer, RGL hull. I actually had to order another bushing from P&W because the bushing they sent with my 375 was dropping 21 grains plus ++++ (Too Hot). I believe, if my memory serves me right that I went to a "G" bushing. Don't quote me on that though. I follwed the Hogden recipe for a 1,200 fps load which is very consistent with my regular skeet loads velocity wise.

I haven't weighed the shot drop to see if it is dropping a full ounce, but it is suppoed to be a full ounce. That being said, it does fill up the wad to the top of the shot cup as it is supposed to.

This load completely fills the hull to the exact crimp level and looks as good as or better than the factory shells I shot to get the hulls.

They shoot great Exclamation Exclamation

Hope this helps Wink
top_cat
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:52 am  Reply with quote

Hornady bushings fit the P-W presses (and RCBS Grands). Hornady powder bushings are numbered according to their internal diameter - a .435 numbered bushing has an internal diameter of .435. If you can't find the exact P-W bushing to fit your load, you can measure the internal diameter of your P-W bushing, then get a Hornady which is smaller or larger internal diameter as you desire.

I have also used electricians tape in the cavity of a bushing to make a small adjustment in the internal volume. Good for working up loads.

Tom
KolarDan
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:09 am  Reply with quote

top_cat wrote:
Hornady bushings fit the P-W presses (and RCBS Grands). Hornady powder bushings are numbered according to their internal diameter - a .435 numbered bushing has an internal diameter of .435. If you can't find the exact P-W bushing to fit your load, you can measure the internal diameter of your P-W bushing, then get a Hornady which is smaller or larger internal diameter as you desire.

I have also used electricians tape in the cavity of a bushing to make a small adjustment in the internal volume. Good for working up loads.

Tom

Thanks for the info Tom. Your wife's nail hardener will also work to reduced the volume within a bushing. It also works great for skeet tubes that are a tad loose, but you have to be careful not to get too much or you will never get the tubes back out after driving them in. Laughing Laughing
Citori_16
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:29 am  Reply with quote

Is anyone able to scan the information and email it? I'd be interested in seeing it.

Please PM for email address. Thanks!