16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Headed to Kansas
Rooster
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:03 pm  Reply with quote

Pulling out this Friday for SW Kansas. Got lotsa pruple hulls loaded with NP 5s and 6s. Dog is jumping up and down, SXS is greased up and M37 is ready for backup duty.

Life is good!

Rooster

bustingclays
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:42 pm  Reply with quote

Good luck Rooster. I am heading for Russell KS on Dec. 11th - for 3 days of R&R.

Dr. 16 Gauge
rudyc
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:03 am  Reply with quote

Good luck Rooster, shoot straight.

We are headed back to South Dakota this Sunday for a few days of grins & giggles.

rudyc

Brad6260
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:55 am  Reply with quote

Rooster,
Make sure you get us a trip report. I'll be Hunting the Russell area the 10th and 11th and then on to Ulysses for a few days.

Bustinclays, maybe I'll see you around Russell somewhere. Meridy's for Breakfast or a steak is a good bet!

Good luck fellas.

Brad
rca
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:53 pm  Reply with quote

I am leaving Sunday for a week in the Great Bend area. We hope to get some white-front geese plus pheasant. Couldn't get away before duck season closes. Hope the weather holds. Good luck to you all.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:40 am  Reply with quote

Getting ready for 2 days of quail chasing around Amarillo, then on to Ulysses, KS to meet up with Brad6260 and some long time hunting buds from KC who are all Benelli totin' philistines Confused

Plenty of sand burrs and cockleburrs in SE AZ but I've never needed to boot the oppositional setter dog. Boots are apparently mandatory in the Panhandle SO thought I better go through a few practice sessions. The first was before jogging the other morning. Hilarious watching the histrionic drama king try to run without touching his paws to the ground Razz but it went OK once we were off.

Today I took Dirk up I-17 to Black Mesa. It's 4000 feet so no cholla and was 30 this am. I booted him up at home and stuffed him in the dog box where he sat paralyzed and drooling for the 45 minute drive. When I let him out, he wouldn't move then alternated doing his best trying to kick off the boots and running on 3 legs. Finally got some bird scent and he suddenly FORGOT ABOUT THE BOOTS Rolling Eyes Hunted around for only 45 minutes and loaded him up with the boots still on.
Got home and the drama torture act started again Laughing

"I'm Soooooo Ps....d"

"How could you do this to me?"

Last edited by revdocdrew on Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total

gunsrus
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:44 am  Reply with quote

You're a mean man rev . Poor dog hasn't figured out the alternative .
Rooster
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:43 pm  Reply with quote

My setter is going to get his first boots tomorrow. Should be interesting. Never ran them on him before but got in a lot of sandburrs last year in one area so thought I'd give it a try.

Rooster

PatrickB
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:27 pm  Reply with quote

I tried the rubber dog boots years ago with a similar reaction from the dog. Someone gave me the tip to try these http://www.dogbooties.com/dogbooties.html and bingo after a few steps the dog was just fine for hunting all day. I use the 330 Denier Cordura but if you're really concerned I found the 500 works fine in more difficult conditions. Just slide the boot on and wrap some tape at the top and you're good to go. Also works well when hunting crusted snow conditions. Nice thing is if the boot falls off it's easy (and cheap) to slide a new boot on the dog.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:47 pm  Reply with quote

Well boys, I can't speak for SW or central Kansas, but I just got back from 4 days of FINE shooting in northwest Kansas. Lots of pheasants and quail, and hunting as good as I've seen it it in MANY a year!! Let's just say that our families will be eating game DEEP into the winter Very Happy !

Last edited by fin2feather on Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
bustingclays
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:36 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Drew too funny that setter dog with boots!

Hey Brad - I stay at the Days Inn across from Meridy's in Russell. Good food also at Log Cabin and Santa Rosa (mexican) in Russell. The good revdocdrew can vouch for the steaks at Log Cabin - we ate there several years ago.

I will leave here on evening of the 10th to drive to KC and then on to Wichita for Lady Cougar bball game at noon the 11th and then to Russell Friday night.

Report of MANY pheasant and some mallard and geese in area - looking forward to getting away from posse, lynch mob, and tar-and-feather gang for sure! Weather appears to be set for COLD days, but can be tolerated with wool gear. 3 days of hunting should be fun - will go back Jan. 1st for second trip.

good luck all....

Dr. 16 Gauge
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:05 am  Reply with quote

Say 'hi' to Stuart for me Dr Bill, and tell him that Dirk sorta turned into a quail dog Rolling Eyes

Everyone be safe; serious weather predicted for next Tuesday. It should push the birds into the thick stuff and if it moves out quickly the hunting should be primo, but cold for these AZ desert bones Razz

bustingclays
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:17 pm  Reply with quote

Will do Drew. Stuart has some new pointers for me to "try" out - along with the pointing labs, should be great fun.

Last time I was there and there was snow, we stopped at one plum thicket on the way back to town with limits and there were 35 roosters underneath with about 50 hens. Very Happy

Dr. 16 Gauge
last dollar
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:41 am  Reply with quote

It started snowing here about 8AM, and is still coming down. There is no question that this is the best Pheasant season we have had in years. We are lifting hundreds of birds per day. Some geese arrived this week, bunch of mallards came and went. My deer hunters all left happy, I havnt taken my 2 yet but am in no hurry. I have another deer hunter arriving today, he should have ideal conditions tommorrow, Me? Iam going duck hunting up on the Republican in Nebraska (21 miles)...
BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:48 pm  Reply with quote

bustingclays,

Are you hunting on private land around Russel? How long a drive is it from St. Louis? My friend and I have done a couple of "Blast and Cast" outings from Great Falls, MT,--Upland birds on the Fairfield Bench and water fowl and trout fishing on the Missouri River. However, both times we walked our a**'s off as there were not that many birds compared to what you and the others are describing.

A combination waterfowl and pheasant hunt sounds interesting. Any sharptails or Huns in that area?

Regards,

BarkeyVA