16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Kansas day 2 and 3
bustingclays
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:16 pm  Reply with quote

Sunday morning got up and went out of Russell to some private ground - pushed one piece of CRP between green wheat and milo and between the 3 of us shot 6 roosters (saw about 15 roosters and about 30 hens). Good thing we did - saw several hundred birds the remainder of the day, but only managed to get one more. The reason - weather change. The first several hours were about 20 degrees and sunny - later major changes, 1st fog rolled in, then temp started to drop. As soon as the snow got crunchy, the birds got spooky - running out of the field as we were going in. Even the thick stuff - hasta la vista baby. Dogs worked great and pinned some hens, but roosters avoided us.

Today - COLD Shocked about 9 degrees this am with 20 mile per hour winds. Stayed bitterly cold all day. Hunted some public ground near Lake Wilson - saw several hundred birds again. On one push in cattails/johnson grass between corn fields I had about 10 hens go right over me - no roosters came close. Hunted the small, VERY VERY thick covers in the afternoon and we ended up with 6 birds between the three of us. On one property (where we can't shoot quail) got up two coveys - one with 30 birds and another with 18.

All in all great FUN! I ended up with 4 roosters and a mallard hen Saturday, 2.5 roosters Sunday (split one with Stuart) and 2 roosters today. I cannot wait until Jan. 1 when I come back.

Several things on this trip different than previous trips:

1st - no quail shot (snow 8 inches deep and crunchy) and birds not in the fields with us. saw some in some milo where we could not hunt and also the 2 coveys mentioned above

2nd - FEW geese in the area. I took a sidetrip to Wichita ont he way out and drove up to here from there - FEW geese along the ponds/waterways on the interstate. Reports of many on the Platte, but none here yet. Hopefully Jan.

3rd - snow fell last week - this week icy and crunchy. Was here last year in 16-18 inches very fluffy. Tough to get around, but the birds did not hear us in soft snow - unlike crunch, crunch, crunch on this trip so were able to get close and shoot limits.

Anyway - great fun. As stated above can't wait to come back after Christmas. All that is left is long drive with stop at Cabela's and lunch at Famous Daves on way home.

Dr. 16 Gauge
caplock
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:29 am  Reply with quote

Sounds like you had a great time. I don't see no mention of dogs. I'm just back from my third trip to KS & looking forward to a trip in Jan as well.

bustingclays
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:56 pm  Reply with quote

caplock - am hunting with Stuart Young of Last Chance Wings and Labs. GREAT pointing labs - always excellent dog work. And I am REALLY looking forward to going back next week. thanks.

Dr. 16 Gauge