16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16 gauge for Trap ?
Hammer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:12 pm  Reply with quote

If a Browning Citori 12 gauge with 1-1/8 ounce of #8 at 1,150 fps is more than adequate for 16 yard line singles trap...

Why wouldn't a Browning Citori 16 gauge with the same load also be adequate ?

Are there things I am missing or ignoring ?

Perhaps gun weight over 100 targets ?

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:21 pm  Reply with quote

I see no reason to use 1-1/8 oz. loads.
I don't shoot allot of trap, because I don't like it.
But when I do, I shoot low gun, and use 1 oz. of shot in my 16 gauge SxS's.
I don't think you're shooting regestered trap, so just go do what you want and have fun. I even shot trap with my 28 gauge Parker Repro a couple times. Not the greatest scores, but it was a hoot doing it.

birddog
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

Hammer,
I've purchased a 525 sporting clays 16ga this yr that has used for trap shooting. Have shoot several 25 straights with it so far and I love the gun, last practice rounds at 100 targets netted me a 96. Not bad for a 13/16 oz load of #8's. Ya that is not a typo, these loads a light and a pleasure to shoot. Down right pisses the trap shooters at our local club. 16's aren't supposed to perform to this level especially with a load that is lighter than factory 20ga ammo.
Shoot away and don't back up
Charlie Wink

Winchester Mod 12 16ga. 30" full
Sears mod. 30 Ranger 16ga.
1 NEW Citori 525 Sporting Clays w/30"tubes
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good woman" D. Boone
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

When I first got the Marlin 90 I went to the Kansas Summer Handicap , shot the handicap broke a 94 , shot the doubles broke a 99 and won that event all with the 16 bore 21 gram loads using premounted gun .

Missouri State Shoot shot the 16's with 21 gram loads broke a 99X96 on singles for a 195 using premounted gun .

Went to the Tenn . State shoot this summer broke a 95X96 for a 191 on singles this was shot low gun with 19.5 gram loads missed the first 5 targets out and ran 95 second hundred missed the first 4 targets out ran a 96 didn't have my act together at all .

I only wished when I was shooting for real back in the 80's I would have had one of my Marlin 90's that I currently have and the 21 gram loads that I currently have , I would have won a whole heap more and had much more fun doing it with LESS RECOIL AND BETTER GUN MOVEMENT .

One of these days " when time permits " I might get serious again and show everyone what the 16 bore can do .

Regards , Charles
bustingclays
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:41 pm  Reply with quote

I shoot in the trap league at Edwardsville Gun Club (Oldest in the Nation) with a 16 ga model 1100 (one of the new classics). 28 inch barrel with Mod choke tube. I regularly run a straight at the 16 yard line and break 22-25 at handicap (ranges from 19-22 yards depending upon team score previous weeks).

At the 16 yd line I shoot rem game load 8s - back further I shoot rem game load 7.5s - factory loads - still have 10 cases left bought at Rural King 3 years ago for $32.90 per case Very Happy all 1 oz loadings

Anyway - I am the only 16 ga shooter in the league Cool . For fun some nights I shoot a Savage Fox 16 sxs 28 inch barrels - m/f chokes and dt. Same loads as above. Also have shot straights regularly at 16 yds with this gun.

my $0.02

Dr. 16 Gauge
BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:48 pm  Reply with quote

Charles,

What barrel length and chokes were on the Model 90 that you used to shoot 16 yd and Handicap events? For the Handicap, what yardage were you shooting and did you shoot the bottom or top barrel?

BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:21 pm  Reply with quote

Bustingclays and Charles,

During my high school years when I was shooting a lot of trap with my dad, like a lot of folks, I used a 12 ga. Winchester Model 12 Trap gun with 30" barrels choked Full. My best competitive round at 16 yards was 194 in at the 1960 Illinois State Shoot at Mathers Gun club in Springfield. (good enough for High Junior) While I did win several small, regional registered shoots with 48-49/50 (never shot 50 straight registered handicap), my best round at a major event was a 95 from 20 yards shooting the 1960 Grand American handicap. Not good enough for a trophy, but my winnings paid for the trip. Stopped shooting competitive trap when I started college (by then I was shooting from 22 yds.)

You two are obviously doing very well shooting trap with your 16 ga. guns. After reading these posts, I probably could have been more successful shooting with a modified choke, especially at 16 yds. Even as a teenager, showing up with a 16 ga. back then would have had folks questioning my sanity and wondering if I were really taking the sport seriously.

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:06 pm  Reply with quote

Heck yes--I use 7/8 oz for the 16 yard line with a mod choke with great results Wink
TJC
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:16 am  Reply with quote

First, I'm not a competitive trap shooter. That's my disclaimer up front.

But I do shoot trap every Sunday from around March until Oct.
All I use is a Browning Citori 16ga with 1 oz of lead. Mostly Rem Game Loads. (I haven't started to reload yet)

I do just fine with the above combo and more importantly, I have fun doing it.

bustingclays
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:54 am  Reply with quote

Hi Barry and all.

I shoot trap with 16 ga almost every Thursday evening from April through August (miss a few for necessary travel). Up until this year I had to quit in the 3rd week in August as the idiot (me Shocked ) in charge of scheduling my fall semester course kept putting me in a Thursday night class (6:30-9:30 pm). Thank goodness after 10 years, that administrator changed his mind Very Happy - I will be able to shoot in the fall league at Edwardsville Gun Club (EGC) until the end this year as no Thursday night class Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Anyway, I am not a registered (trap or skeet) shooter - although at EGC we have won the league a couple of times in the last 7 years. I am a MUCH better skeet shooter - our team having won the industrial league in 2009 (I shoot 28 ga) and the 410 league in 2008 (I shoot 410 Wink ) at the Olin facility in West Alton

Dr. 16 Gauge
bridgeburner
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:12 am  Reply with quote

Hammer,

Nothing wrong with the load. In a 12ga those numbers have been the standard singles and doubles load for the past 50 years. Though you can shoot recreational trap with anything, shooting other than a gun designed for the game is a handicap "if" you get serious about it. That said, a 16ga "TRAP GUN" would be a hoot for singles, but that 28" Citori is simply too short, too light and stocked too low for trap. I too have a 28" Citori in 16ga. Though I do OK with it by putting a slip on pad and comb pad, it's still too light and the bbls are too short "for me" to shoot trap. Perhaps it's too big of an adjustment from a 9# 34" SBT.

It would interesting to sleeve or bbl a BT99 to 16ga...... or to find a Model 12 in 30" Full and build it into a trap gun with the proper stock and a rib.
deer hunter
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:39 am  Reply with quote

break as many with my 410 as I do with my 12 - anything'll do if you believe in it and practice with it and ENJOY it .

rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:29 am  Reply with quote

I have and do use my 1100-16 Gauge for trap now and then. It is fun for a round or 2 but it is tough to beat a full blown trap gun, on a consistent basis. I guess I have a different mind-set, I like to do as well as I can. Fun for me is doing my best, anything less is just a frustration.

As far as the loads go, not much different out of a 16 than a 12 for 7/8 thru 1 1/8 oz. loads.

BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:36 am  Reply with quote

So, do any "serious" trap shooters who shoot "full blown trap guns" use Mod. choke?

rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:45 am  Reply with quote

Back when I shot trap for serious, .020 choke was what more than a few guys in the New England area were using for singles. So that would be a yes. That choke will leave black clouds where the target useta' was.