16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  16's, looking and buying
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:44 am  Reply with quote

Saw a Krieghoff Essencia 16 sxs at Cabela's in Owatonna yesterday. Gorgeous gun, but $19,000 is a lot for a boxlock, even one as nice as that.

Did some trading and came home with another FAIR 400, this one with a straight stock. (Most of them are round knob.) Sold my last one to Charlie Rose while quail hunting with him down in TX. He fell in love with it, and I figured I could get another one. A friend is also interested, so I asked how many 400's are left at all the Cabela's outlets. Total of 5 . . . they've sold a bunch of them.

Also recently acquired a Francotte 25E, gorgeous gun although the barrels could probably stand to be redone--a few scuffs and a couple very minor exterior pits. But if that gun were new, I'd put it up against the Krieghoff as far as quality goes. And the price was slightly less!
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:09 am  Reply with quote

What in the world do you gun riter' guys get paid anyway?!? Or have you been paying with some of the King of Morocco's long missing jewels?? Laughing And tell us more about that Russian KGB lady Wink
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:31 pm  Reply with quote

K-guns,etc too rich for my blood Evil or Very Mad
fred lauer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:07 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for checking out the pricey ones for the rest of us Larry. It's good to know which ones are worth their price. I for one,will never stop dreaming.

KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:09 am  Reply with quote

Larry Brown wrote:
Saw a Krieghoff Essencia 16 sxs at Cabela's in Owatonna yesterday. Gorgeous gun, but $19,000 is a lot for a boxlock, even one as nice as that.

Did some trading and came home with another FAIR 400, this one with a straight stock. (Most of them are round knob.) Sold my last one to Charlie Rose while quail hunting with him down in TX. He fell in love with it, and I figured I could get another one. A friend is also interested, so I asked how many 400's are left at all the Cabela's outlets. Total of 5 . . . they've sold a bunch of them.

Also recently acquired a Francotte 25E, gorgeous gun although the barrels could probably stand to be redone--a few scuffs and a couple very minor exterior pits. But if that gun were new, I'd put it up against the Krieghoff as far as quality goes. And the price was slightly less!

Is this prima facie evidence of that "gun writers" disease you were talking about Larry? Seems like you have been trying new guns once a week... *GRIN*

Seriously though, the FAIR 400's are nice guns. I was sorely tempted by one up at the Cabelas in WV last week when I was on the road. Hmm...

Cheers,

Brad
prettyfoto
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:26 pm  Reply with quote

Larry - check my last post on the Francotte 25 E thread. I finally figured out how to upload photos. Let me know if your's looks anything like mine.

Best,

Tom

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:25 am  Reply with quote

I wish gun writers got paid what we're worth. On the other hand, some people think we're overpaid already! I do tend to swap guns around a lot, but the value of my inventory does seem to be creeping upwards. Might have something to do with the fact that I recently hit the big 60 and Uncle Sam is now paying me for my 30-odd years of service. (Reservists don't draw retirement until we hit 60. But I'm not complaining--great benefit for a part-time job!)
RuffBuff
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:09 pm  Reply with quote

Considering the superior quality of Larry's writing, Larry's writing is its own reward. Anything over and above that is "icing on the cake". Right, Larry?

When I was still in the throes of my career, I had a discussion about my salary with the man who the company viewed as my superior. I told the man, much to his shock and dismay, that I was very pleased with the amount that I earned. Once his smile was firmly positioned on his face, I finished my sentence by saying, "now if you only paid me that much I'd be happy!"

“Hunting is one of the last genuine, personal adventures of modern man. Just as game animals are the truest indicators of quality natural environment, so hunting is the truest indicator of quality natural freedom.” … John Madson
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:18 am  Reply with quote

I started out as an enlisted kid in the National Guard--and I mean "kid", still in my senior year of HS. Spent almost 10 years in the ranks, never thought I'd be a "lifer". Then someone decided I should be an officer, they waved a magic wand, and a sergeat first class one day was a captain the next. By the time I got to be a colonel, the retirement was looking pretty good. And I had the best job of any colonel in the Army: command of a 9-person detachment (twice, in fact) with almost no equipment except a couple safes full of classified documents. It was so much fun I almost should have paid them!