16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Loose on face
prettyfoto
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:48 pm  Reply with quote

I guess we pretty much know that using late vintage shotshells in prewar doubles leads to premature looseness or worse. ( I didn't do it) That being the case, what is the componant that is causing the problem? hingepin wear? And what would be the approximate cost to fix?

Thanks in advance.

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:43 pm  Reply with quote

Can be wear to the pin or the lump. Many gunsmiths work on the lump if they can, because some hingepins are fixed rather than removable, and even if removable, making a new one isn't cheap. Winchester had an interesting solution with its Model 21: the factory made pins in increasingly larger sizes, so all you had to do was order the next larger size and have your gunsmith go to work.

The two typical ways of working on the lump either involve TIG welding (you have to be a very good TIG welder), or cutting a section out of the lump and replacing it with a slightly larger section.

The repair, depending on the method used and whether it involves the lump or the pin, will likely run somewhere in the $200-400 range.

There is also a very cheap and pretty effective home remedy, which is to get some shim stock and cut a piece to fit into the lump. Some people have had luck gluing the shim stock to the bite of the lump, but I never have. It will stay in place anyhow as long as you don't disassemble the gun. Makes sense on inexpensive doubles when you don't want to pay for the more permanent fix.
prettyfoto
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:15 pm  Reply with quote

Larry - I would imagine this would be a project that one would entrust to not just any gun smith? Would you happen to know somebody in the greater LosAngeles area that does good work?

hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:55 pm  Reply with quote

Don't know how far away this is but it is a starting place for ya'll
American Gunsmithing Institute
Napa,Ca
800-797-0867 707-253-0462
FAX 707-253-7149
clamgi@americangunsmith.com
They sell videos but should have a lead to someone what can help---
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:20 am  Reply with quote

Tom, I'm in your area (Orange Co.). Try Bolsa Gunsmithing in Huntington Beach.............. http://www.bolsagunsmithing.com/

If they can't help you, I'm sure they can refer you to someone who can.

Square loads for an unsquare world......... Wink
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:05 am  Reply with quote

Nope, definitely not a job for the village gunsmith. Don't know of anyone in the LA area that does it. Maybe one of the above suggestions will help.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:33 am  Reply with quote

Its almost never the pin, as this was a part that was hardened along with the rest of the guns frame parts-suspicion falls to wear on the lump, which isn't hardened.

Several gunsmiths advertise soldering a shim on the lump, after the wear has been squared up. If I owned a Boss, or a Granger, I wouldn't likely consider it, but, I have a Tobin 12 (that is, a cheapie) that Mike Orlen soldered a shim on.

Works great! Restored the lever to right of center when the looseness was cured. $100 or so make the gun ready to go.

Mike can be found over on Gunshop.com and a few advertise the same service, (Similar cost) in The Double Gun Journal.
Best,
Ted
Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:01 am  Reply with quote

I send all my doubles to Keith Kearcher in Bend, Oregon. He's fast, fair and very skilled.He put my Parker VHE back on face for a very reasonable price. It only costs $15.00 in postage to send your gun to one of the best; you can contact him by going to Parkergun.org and clicking on the links for gunsmiths or at keithkearcher@toast.net
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:42 am  Reply with quote

Well I'll be hornswoggled! Ted and I have common ground. Laughing I've been up to Mike Orlen's facility in Amherst, MA quite a few times for barrel work and such. He's good, reasonable, dependable, and friendly. He is also a Vintager and understands these old guns quite well. I'd say he's a darned good bet. Good tip Ted!!