16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  El Fasain Spanish double?
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:52 am  Reply with quote

There is a Spanish double on one of the auction sites named as an "El Fasain." It looks like it was made for the European trade. It looks like a basic boxlock w/ case hardened finish, and some fundamental engraving. the wood looks like basic solid walnut, nothing fancy. It's listed as having a double underlug and cross bolt type action with twin triggers. It weighs at just under 7 pounds. Can anyone I.D. this gun? Is it a good make? Thanks. 16GG
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:48 pm  Reply with quote

'Faisan' is Espanol for pheasant. The other spelling could be Portuguese. Very likely a 'no name' gun which might best be avoided.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:22 am  Reply with quote

Well, "the pheasant is'nt too bad a name for a bird gun. I suppose it could be worse; they could have named it "the Turkey." Rolling Eyes
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:21 am  Reply with quote

I've handled a couple of those at gunshows. Not terribly impressed. Not sure who made them, but a whole bunch of small Spanish makers (and even some larger ones) went out of business in the 80's when a government-sponsored gunmaking conglomerate went under. Could be one of those, or it could be Zabala. Zabala's proprietary mark is a ZH on the barrel flats. I've never been very impressed by the guns they make (they're still in business) and I'd stay away from them.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:24 am  Reply with quote

OK, what's buzzard in Spanish? Laughing Anyway, thanks for the head's up. Does Ugartechea have a proprietary mark too? Heck, just tell me what they all are. Its good for me to learn about these Spanish guns before I step into something not too sweet smelling, not to disparage the good ones. I like my AyA Matty. If my next one shoots as well, I'll consider myself fortunate. Thanks again Larry B. As usual, you are always a help. 16GG
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:25 pm  Reply with quote

I seem to recall that all the Ugartecheas I've seen are so marked, maybe on the water table or barrel flats if they're imported as something else (like a Parker Hale, Precision Sports, Dickson Falcon, whatever). AyA uses a lion over AYA in a circle. Those with Spanish guns by other makers may be able to add more.
16crazy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:05 pm  Reply with quote

16GG,
I really recommend SPANISH BEST by Terry Wieland. The El Fasain name is not listed in there but many others are. The book has saved me money in the long run. Chances are if you can not find info in his book it may be hard to find it anywhere.
16 crazy
jchandler
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:11 pm  Reply with quote

for Spanish gunmarks Google "punzones espanoles" will get you Spanish gunmarks. Ugartechea's mark is a crest containing I over a U (Ignacio Ugartechea) ..........of course IU has a completely different meaning here in Hoosier land.
Jeff
Gary G
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:30 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?item=42078557
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=45307079
Now Im not sure, the current sale doesnt mention the s/n, so
maybe its not the same gun... but the seller of the current
gun did purchase a gun of the same make and gauge on the
auction Ive listed first. The gun he purchased seems to be
described as being "loose".
The one being sold isnt.
I only noticed this because I was looking at the gun myself,
so I looked at his feedback, which is A+.

Just an observation.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:13 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Gary. It appears to be the same gun with a new recoil pad added. Anyway, I've passed on this one. Folks in the know here on our site have given me a much needed and much appreciated heads up on these guns. Plus, this seller seems to have his own ideas about integrity and fairness. He wants to hide behind a PO box and a keyboard. I would not put too much stock in so called posted feedback. Its usually too easily manipulated and always slanted pro seller. They're the money makers for the site. Better to be safe than sorry. It's always buyer beware.

J. Chandler, thanks a heap. your info is much appreciated. I will go to school on this to be sure. I've come to realize that for me, when it comes to Spanish guns, its better to go slow and careful.

There are some fine ones. Then there are the others. My recent experiences have taught me how little I do know about them. I've always shied away from them based on former experience. Things have not really changed much in thirty years it would seem. This is not meant as a blanket condemnation. Its just an observation that there is a huge gap between the good ones and the bad ones. Price is not a reliable indicator either.

It is not so easy to tell either, at least not for me. My AyA Matador seems to be a good gun. Other folks have told me its not so good. Maybe I just plain got lucky and own one of the rarer good ones. Based on its good handling characteristics, I'd like to find another Spanish 16 of maybe a better quality. So I'm venturing out into what is unknown territory for me.

I also realize just how lucky I've been and how spoiled to have been a Browning Citori fan for so long. Maybe they are just " cookie cutter," mass produced guns. But they have proven to be extremely reliable and and well supported 'cookie cutter" guns. That means something to me.

Anyway, so far, you folks have kept me out of hot water a number of times. It is much appreciated. Its nice to have friends. 16GG.
driggy
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:31 am  Reply with quote

I was opening bid on the first one. Did some research and was glad when I got outbidded. My research came up very negative. There were alot of bad reports on these guns. Went through a Stevens 335 that was bad and now picked up a 11-48 and a Rem 31 with a dial a duck. The 11-48 didn't work right but a good cleaning fixed that and now I know why they call 31s ballbearing guns. Good luck.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:51 pm  Reply with quote

driggy wrote:
I... picked up a 11-48 and a Rem 31 with a dial a duck.

Sometimes the jargon you guys come up with just slays me. That one is a doozie Driggy. Laughing