16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Winchester primers
hoashooter
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:49 pm  Reply with quote

For the last five months or so the W209 was next to impossible to locate--now they are everywhere.Any comments????I have heard some dandies and would like to get to the skinny on this.By the way the whole time the local dealers were really pushing Cheddites.....HMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!
sparky
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:47 am  Reply with quote

hoashooter,
I've been shooting the Winchester Super X game load hoping to get a better hull to use. Loading it I had miserable results much like the Cheddite hulls I got through BPI. Crusing through other forum entries I found that hese cases were supplied by Cheddite. I am still awaiting my Fiocchi and Remington flats hopefully for better results. Sparky
Sorry, At least on the West coast I have no problem finding W209's
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:51 pm  Reply with quote

Sparky-the Super x are next to impossible to load-three or so run fine then everything goes south---they are not made for reloading.The black Remington game loads give excellent results however.
RWG
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:47 pm  Reply with quote

sparky wrote:
hoashooter,
I've been shooting the Winchester Super X game load hoping to get a better hull to use. Loading it I had miserable results much like the Cheddite hulls I got through BPI. Crusing through other forum entries I found that hese cases were supplied by Cheddite. I am still awaiting my Fiocchi and Remington flats hopefully for better results. Sparky
Sorry, At least on the West coast I have no problem finding W209's

Sparky:

The newer Win Super X hulls are cheddite hulls. Wink

If you are crushing the Cheddite hulls in your press, you may need to tweek the crimp stations to get the right settings. I rarely crush mine. However, most of them don't last past 4 loadings because the folds tear too badly from multiple firings. Russ
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:46 am  Reply with quote

I have the same problem as Russ. They don't crush, but the ends split after just a few reloads.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:25 am  Reply with quote

The newest WW hulls have the thinnest case mouths Ive ever seen. They appear to be overskived. Since Winchester does not offer any 16 ga. componants., I'm sure they could care less. I've found Fiocchi and Federal/Estate hulls to last longer. I like the Fiocchi case better because of th plastic base wad. I use it for all my heavy hunting loads of 1-1/8 to 1-1/4 oz.

The Remington black or newer Green hulls (same hull, different color) all tend to load one or two times more. However, I've heard that the newest ones aren't quite as good as the ones from past years due to thinner case mouths. I hope this is just for this particular lot. I'd hate to think the Remington hull has been ruined by more stupid decision making on Remington's part.
canam
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:35 pm  Reply with quote

Since I am new to reloading I don't know if I am messing up or its the hulls. My Remington green hulls have a lot of splitting after the third time they are reloaded. In my area(NE Georgia) I haven't been able to find the cheaper black hulled game loads with smaller shot. After I get a large pile of split hulls I will look into how to turn them into shorter rounds.
RF