16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Riverside arms
saserby
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:05 pm  Reply with quote

Anyone know anything about them? Quality? Not?
fin2feather
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:02 am  Reply with quote

According to Hinman's Golden Age of Shotgunning, Riverside Arms guns were made by Stevens, the name first appearing in 1915 or so.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:21 pm  Reply with quote

In response to my post requesting information about my dad's 16 ga. Springfield, J. Stevens Arms Co., No. 215 SxS hammer gun, Researcher01 said that Stevens began using the Springfield name around 1930. Prior to 1930 Stevens used the the Riverside name for their lower priced line of guns which included the No. 215 SxS hammer gun.

putz463
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:46 am  Reply with quote

Just like a Stevens. I've got one in 16ga disassembled if someone is looking for a project. Hammerless box lock, the butt stock cracked around the base of the action body. I epoxied it back together + sanded the stock English style then lost interest in the project; just not a sxs guy. PM me if interested be glad to email pictures, any reasonable offer would take it. All parts are present and accounted for; the gun is/was in used hunter/shooter not collector conditon.

XVI'er
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:19 pm  Reply with quote

I own one in 16 bore. It is rather heavy but it is definitely a "shooter". It is a Joshua Stevens Gun that was marketed by Savage after their aquisition of Stevens. If you want additional information, just Google RIVERSIDE.

I purchased mine from a dear friend and shooting buddy that knew I wanted it. It was missing the front bead, but I never missed it. Laughing I can get a replacement easily enough. I've shot it at clays for the last two years, but I'm going to use it on game this year. I will post pics later this year when my schedule is less hectic.

I almost forgot- Model 215 is a SXS Hammergun, 315 is what I have. It is a boxlock with no external hammers. Also marketed under EASTERN and SPRINGFIELD names. There is an article in one of my old DGJ's about workingman's guns, that has pics. I will try and reference it here when I can find it.