16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  47E straight grip.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:32 am  Reply with quote

I just bought a merkel 47E straight grip.Shot some skeet with the gun I am missing alot of easy targets hitting the tough targets. My FOX,LC and citori all have pistol grips. Was wondering if anybody ran into this type of thing before. I patterned the gun it does seem to shoot a little higher but not enough to totaly miss the gimme targets. Choked tighter too maybe over reacting but something seems different. Any suggestions ?
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:45 am  Reply with quote

PP, your Merkel is almost certainly stocked higher (less drop) than a vintage Fox or Elsie. You might have some difficulty going back and forth. You'll probably need to ride the targets over the top of your barrels with the Merkel, where covering them might work with the older guns.
TJC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:58 am  Reply with quote

I've had only 2 straight stocked guns. Couldn't shoot either one with any degree of confidence. Got rid of both of them and have nothing but pistol grips now. Very Happy

I really wouldn't be able to go back and forth with one.

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:59 am  Reply with quote

Would you suggest removing some wood I bought it to put rounds through and save my old girls for hunting. I need to be able to switch back and forth. Or I could sell it and try again that sounds like more fun.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:27 am  Reply with quote

PP, most folks are always looking for a gun that fits, when what they should be doing is fitting the gun to them. Of course, you can sell the gun to me if you really must and if the price is right. Wink Laughing

I shoot both the Citori Superlight straight stocked models and Lightnings about equally well. However, LOP and drop at comb and heel as well as cast off are identical between the two. Plus, the Citori Small frame models fit me to a T. However, the two XS Sporting models I bought a month back were too long. I trimmed them about 9/16". Now they are fine and shoot just like the others, because their drop to comb and heel are also the same.

Why not have the stock bent to fit and adjusted for LOP if needed after you establish the gun's Point of Impact as it is now when you mount and shoot the gun naturally and normally. I posted last week on how its done. Its fairly easy to do too. Then you will know for sure what adjustment is needed before you perform any stock surgery. 16GG
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:59 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice 16gg any sugestions on a who I can use to get this done? I don't know of any body in PA that would have the expertise to accomplish this task of bending and fitting stocks. I would like to show up with all my guns and get them adjusted correctly. It would be worth a ton to me to have 5 guns that shoot the same.But I would only entrust a very capable professional for this task.All the gunsmiths in this area work on rifles and modern shotguns there backlog is very long.
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:22 am  Reply with quote

Pudel: 16gg is right on about the fit. I purchased my first SxS with my first straight grip just recently. I was sure to get one that was extremely close to the same dimensions of my citori's which fit me very well. I think I shoot it as well, and hope to shoot it better, than my brownings.

I'm not sure where you are in PA but check out http://www.woodcockhill.com/
They are in Benton PA and they will do gun fitting. I've not used their services but they offer shooting schools as well as a host of other services and I'm sure they could help you out.

If you do decide to get rid of it, forget about 16gg. That gun is too light for him! Give me a call first!

Matt
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:24 am  Reply with quote

I personally don't know where to have a stock bent locally. My Brownings all fit me perfectly. My trap guns have adjustable stocks or have been converted years ago. THe AyA Matty also fits me perfectly. I do all of my own LOP adjustments and recoil pad fitting/refitting as needed. However, I'm certain there are some folks here who know who can do the job. I'd also try to be there personally when it is done with the POI pattern sheets for each gun, so the stock fitter can have you check the POI or at least fit you to a try gun to get the right dimensions for you.

Perhaps the folks who import and distribute the Merkel can help you here too. I'd also call or email any stockmakers/fitters who advertize. Also, try Joel Echen in PA. He specializes in trap and other target guns. I'm almost certain he can point you in the right direction. Trap shooters are very fussy about stock fit.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:18 am  Reply with quote

Hey pudel-guy, got an idea. Come out to Montezuma with us in Nov. It's shaping up to be a Merkel vs. Sterlingworth challenge. Stop by Jim Greenwood in Augusta (by Wichita) 316-775-0161 for a day of gun fitting then bring the gun that fits on out to Western KS (or maybe the Merkel that doesn't fit Wink)
Thanks CitoriFeather16: Woodcock Hill does have an impressive website-anybody out there with personal experience?
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:18 am  Reply with quote

Perhaps this shebang you guys are getting up should be refered to as the "Montezuma's Revenge Pheasant Shoot." Laughing

PS: You had to know that one was only a matter of time. Wink
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:11 pm  Reply with quote

I have a merkel and a sterlingworth but I would side with the fox crew nothing like american made sxs. Last I checked I was an american with an honorable discharge from the USAF.I bought the merkel for clays to replace my citori its barrels are solderd on the wrong way.I wouldn't shoot a good old american grouse with a foreign gun but i'll break clay with them. Called woodcock hill they have 2 british Trygun fitters and stock benders I think I will head up there and have the Fox,LC and merkel bent to the same dimensions.Thanks for the help.
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:25 pm  Reply with quote

I have no such hang ups! I have shot many a grouse, pheasant, duck and quail with a fine old Belgium Sweet 16! For some strange reason, however, I have decided I will not shoot a pheasant with a black hull!

Let us know how Woodcock Hill treats you.

Matt
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:30 pm  Reply with quote

Woodcock hill does not insure againts stock breakage in the bending process. Is that normal ?