16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  My shotgun "home dent repair" attempt.
dave bulla
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:43 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words guys. In the past I've done some stock refinishes, polished a trigger or two and did some wire inlays on a muzzle loading pistol but this it the first thing that I would call a true gunsmith repair that I have done.

This repair was surprisingly easy and the metal in the barrel moved better than I had hoped. There was a little bit of a "fear factor" starting out but I knew I wouldn't make it any worse. My biggest concern was the possibility of getting the tool stuck in the barrel which was why I had it made with the hole bored in the front end.

One thing for sure, in the future if i see a nice shotgun with a similar dent in the barrel that is marked down but otherwise in real good shape I'll certainly look at it differently. Who knows, might end up with a whole set of plugs made up someday.
deer hunter
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:47 pm  Reply with quote

There's a beautiful little rifle/shotgun ditty over at the gs near me . Except for 3 dents . This would be a great project for your tool to work on as it's a great gun otherwise - the dents look as bad or worse than yours . I need to copy your picture and get it to Clyde .

sandor27
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

A while back I had the same problem with a clay thrower.

It NEVER stayed staked into the ground.

So I took an old truck tire (on the rim ) and bolted a piece of plywood through the lug holes and bolted the the stakes to the plywood.

Worked great since I could reposition it to throw in any direction. And the tire was heavy enough to keep it in place. Only had to reposition maybe every 10 throws or so.

Beautiful job on the barrels. I have a small dent on a Stevens 335 16ga that doesn't affect shooting, but it is there and I knw it so it bugs me. I might try to do what you did. Pretty clever, Thanks.