16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Who are the 2 Gentlemen on the Home Page?
DougK
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:38 pm  Reply with quote

I know this is the mother of all questions. So who are the 2 Gentlemen on the home page? And 16Ga can not answer....
Thanks,
Doug
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:53 pm  Reply with quote

I'm glad somebody finally asked that question.

The wizened "wirey" fellow on the left is 16gaugeguy. The saintly looking fellow on the right with the boyish good looks is none other than myself! This photo was taken several weeks before I picked up my new Citori Feather 16.

If I remember correctly, my 3 spaniels were working exceptionally well that day and I limited out shortly after taking this picture. 16gg was struggling somewhat but managed to bring down a small rangy rooster after about 1 1/2 boxes of shells. It was hit poorly but my favorite Springer (aptly named "Rooster") quickly brought it to hand. Laughing

Regards,

Matt
offhand35
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:13 pm  Reply with quote

Question Question Exclamation Exclamation

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:35 pm  Reply with quote

I thought those were foxhounds?!? (The dogs, not the guys)
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:17 am  Reply with quote

Are you sure? Rolling Eyes they could have been wirehaired foxhounds, or haywired foxhounds. By the way, what are these two guys stuffing in the pipe? Shocked
mod11rem
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:09 am  Reply with quote

I've asked this question before and never got an answer either. If those are springers, I've got a pointing Lhasa Apso for sale! Rolling Eyes I'll bet these gents aren't smoking any fancy pancy pipe tobacco. My bet is on something substantial like Prince Albert or Sir Walter Raleigh. However, the packaging doesn't reflect either. If it's really 16GG and Citorifeather, you guys wear well over the years. The boots and hats alone speak of pre WWII days. Glasses aren't exactly modern either. I've got some family pictures similar to these in vintage and content. Anyway, it's a fitting picture for this group. pass the SWR. mod11rem

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:47 am  Reply with quote

Well, I don't know about wearing well. The photo was taken only last week. I'm not 60 yet and I look to be over 70. Its from having to run after and trying my best to finish off all the birds poor Feather dusted. However, I couldn't stop the dogs from running off and eating them as fast as I could ground sluice them. The the duds were sold to Feather last fall by an Abacrombie and Fitch salesman as the latest in fashion. I thought they smelled of moth balls a bit when he gave me an outfit to wear just for the photo.

The worst part is I think he also got slickered out of his nice 16 ga. Citori for a 12 ga pump. It looks like model 12 but has Chinese caligraphy instead of the Winchester logo and a stock made out of crushed and pressed bamboo dyed to look like walnut. Feather thinks its a very rare and highly valuable variation made exclusively for the last Chinese emporer just before WWII. The salesman let Feather have it (Boy! Did he ever!) for his gun and 2.5K. The funny thing is the steel smells like it was made out of old tuna cans. I'm beginning to think something is real fishy here besides the smell, but just can't bring myself to let Ole Feather know I think he's been sold down the Yalu.

The stuff Feather is puffing in the pipe was sold to him by an old Kiowa medicine man. Its supposed to calm him down and keep him from baying at the moon along with his hounds but smells more like oregano mixed with old ground up buffalo chips. By the way. Please don't let on they ain't bird dogs. He was sold them as fully trained, steady to wing and shot Tasmanian pointers by the A&F salesman's cousin. After what he paid for them, I think the shock might tip him over the edge.

By suggesting a smoke break, I finally got him to stop running around with a dead pheasant in his mouth, digging holes with his hands, and trying to bury the one bird we finally did get. You notice I'm in the act of passing on his kind offer to try his magic blend. I think it would make my pipe stem melt just from the fumes. 16GG.
RuffBuff
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:06 pm  Reply with quote

It might be Old Joe Kennedy on the left taking the pipe tobacco from Robert Oppenheimer on the right. Maybe they are discussing the latest "goings on" at Los Alamos, NM.

“Hunting is one of the last genuine, personal adventures of modern man. Just as game animals are the truest indicators of quality natural environment, so hunting is the truest indicator of quality natural freedom.” … John Madson
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:37 pm  Reply with quote

16gg tends to exagerate a little bit. And, don't let him fool you about his age. This picture was taken a little over a year ago. We were in the field celebrating 16gg's 26th. birthday! His fondness to over imbibe on apricot brandy is what gives him that somewhat grizzled appearance.

We were hunting in southern Wisconsin and I did order the clothes from A&F. I thought it would be best if we fit in with the rest of the locals.

With regards to the gun, what 16gg took for "Chinese caligraphy" was actually an inscription written in Manderin. Being fluent in the language, I quickly interpeted: "Ithaca 16 ga. Featherweight Bamboo Special" on one side of the barrel and "Presented to Emporer Chow Mein 1911" on the other. A fantastic historical find from the end of the Qing Dynasty! I only fired that gun thrice! All on that day. The gun currently resides in the Chinese Historical Arms Museum in downtown Beijing. Perhaps if any of you are travelling there in the near furture you can stop in and thereby collaborate my story!

As Mod11Rem was keen to point out, my dogs are not "pure" Springers. In fact, they are of a special breed I developed several years ago. They are a cross between an English Springer Spaniel and a French Brittany. I call them "Springittanys"! If I notice that the birds are running hard, I give the dogs the command "Flush!" and they hunt and flush like Springers. If the birds are holding solid in good cover I give the command "En Venir au Point" in French and the dogs will hold a rock solid point as the "Epagneul Briton is wont to do!

16gg is somewhat right about my tobacco. But it is made by a Navajo medicine man, not a Kiowa. I get it on the Navajo nation on my frequent trips between Nevada and Colorado. It is a special mix with some strange side effects but it does work to "sharpen the eye and steady the hand". That's why I was offering some to 16gg that day, although, he politely refused and continued to sip from a large flask throughout the day. The picture was taken as we sat to rest and wait for my favorite dog "Rooster" to fetch up the poor cripple 16gg knocked down.

I hope this factual recollection puts to rest any lingering questions about the picture in question.

Matt
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:03 pm  Reply with quote

I can only say one thing to this line of palaver, "Buffalo chips!" I remember how the day ended. Me and ole Feather got seperated in a corn field on our last pass. I eventually found him perched on the peak of the nearest barn, flapping his arms and claiming he flew up there after his last bowlful of his magic blend, which I clearly said was Souix. I had to take another pull of brandy to fortify myself so I could fly up to get him down before he hurt hisself.

PS, I don't care for apricots. It was plum and got us both about a 1/2 bubble off. By the way, Rooster promptly located that last bird... and ate it. I'm sure he finally "brought it to hand" the next morning on Feather's neighbor's front lawn. Laughing Laughing Laughing
prettyfoto
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:14 pm  Reply with quote

You guys outta take that show on the road. (COMPLIMENT)!!! Very Happy

woodcock
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:59 am  Reply with quote

"take it on the road"? Lordy, after all that, those pictures should be revised to resemble Pinocchio and they should take it on the LAM..............

Author! Author!