16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  While We Are Discussing Hunting Hats
Back To 16 Gauge
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:17 am  Reply with quote

I am looking for a camouflage broad brim hunting cap to use while dove hunting. I am having too many of those nasty skin cancers burned off my face every six months. Unfortunately I have a big head and need a hat size of 7 7/8.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

BT16ga
Hootch
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:24 am  Reply with quote

LL bean has a camo hat, crown is mesh on the sides, would be hard to beat in hot weather dove shoot!

I wear a camo boonie hat in hot weather dove shooting.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:06 am  Reply with quote

Filson Crusher.

Best,
Ted

Back To 16 Gauge
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:09 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Hootch for the recommendation. I am also looking at the Henschel hats but can's find anybody that sells the hats retail.

Again, thanks.

BT16ga
Back To 16 Gauge
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:47 pm  Reply with quote

Ted:

Does the Filson Crusher come in a camo color? I didn't see it on their website.

Thanks,

BT16ga
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:49 pm  Reply with quote

The color I've got is olive drab. No pattern camo, but, not exactly blaze orange, either.
They keep your head dry, far better than anything else I've ever used.

Best,
Ted

dave bulla
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:57 pm  Reply with quote

Cabella's started carrying one last year in the store here in Kansas City. I bought one right away as I've worn an olive drab one for years but wanted something in a lighter color.

Here's a link.

You may have to click on the little box at the bottom to change the color. It comes in blaze orange, blaze camo and regular camo.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0005346942064a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=felt+hat&sort=all&Go.y=0&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0

Our store had both with the ear flaps and without.
popplecop
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:53 am  Reply with quote

Hate Hats, 30 years of mandatory wearing of either helments or hats, everything from a steel pot, riot helment, Stetson or Mountie style. One size fits all, there's another oxymoron. I also wear a 7&7/8ths, I'd have better luck in finding a tiara that fit. Now I will continue to sort through the ones at Gander or Cabellas to find one that actually fits, when I do I always buy 2.
MHinGA
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:54 am  Reply with quote

Tilley hats have always been my choice if not going with the standard ball cap. They come in an olive color among others.

Heb 13:14
XVI'er
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:00 pm  Reply with quote

I use a Columbia long billed fishing hat that has a uv-blockercloth in back that can be used or tucked back. It prevents my face as well as my neck from burning. I sorta look like a french legionnaire, but it works well. It comes in a light tan color. I got it at Academy about 4 years ago. You won't need camo for doves if you stay still. Laughing

jschultz
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:02 am  Reply with quote

I live in Wyoming and I'm seldom without a hat. I have at least one for all occasions and weather. Six months of the year I can be seen in a dark brown Stetson 4X western style hat which is used for cool to cold weather. In extreme cold, I have ear protection that fits inside of the band. In warm weather I have several palm straw hats that can be dipped in water to either re-shape or just to keep me cool. I have 3 Stetson dress hats, two of which are 1960 vintage and have had the linings replaced, cleaned and reshaped many times and they look new. I wear the Stetson 4X hunting with the necessary stampede string when hunting and cool weather fishing.
woodcock
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:03 am  Reply with quote

OK, bear with me Embarassed

Have you considered a 'pith helmet'? I have worn such headgear for sun protection/heat management in dove fields, etc. and have found it to be cooler than any other headgear I've ever tried. Many military and construction organizations have found that to be true also.
The internal suspension keeps the hat away from the head allowing air to circulate.
Offered in tan and OD, you may well have to create your own 'camo' but in so doing you would be able to replicate the precise pattern you want.

A word of warning however. The hard brim of these hats 'reflects' more sound that you might expect so you will either have to wear ear protection or 'line' the brim with a softer material to keep from deafning yourself when you shoot.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:29 am  Reply with quote

woodcock wrote:
A word of warning however. The hard brim of these hats 'reflects' more sound that you might expect so you will either have to wear ear protection or 'line' the brim with a softer material to keep from deafning yourself when you shoot.

Pith on that Wink !

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:15 am  Reply with quote

Back To 16 Gauge wrote:
I am looking for a camouflage broad brim hunting cap to use while dove hunting. I am having too many of those nasty skin cancers burned off my face every six months. Unfortunately I have a big head and need a hat size of 7 7/8.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

BT16ga

I've not seen any for a while, but I'm betting a surplus Vietnam era Kit Carson Boonie hat would do. It's ventilated, canvas camo, widebrimmed, and comfortable as an...well an old hat. Laughing They usta be cheap and easy to get in any GI surplus store. I wore one for Florida flats fishing. I'd soak it in the water and the evaporation would keep my noggin cool. It was perfect. Even had a chin strap for windy days that could also be used to hold the rolled brim up on the sides if wanted. A kerchief around the back of my neck and a long sleeved light weight flats shirt did the rest. No carsinoma for me.
Ash Goodwin
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:45 pm  Reply with quote

I can attest to 16gg buying a new hunter orange hat at the beginning of the season. He bought himself one on the South Dakota opener. He also bought one for each of the guys riding with him....Thanks GG!

But I have to admit I still like those felt hats! Maybe a hunter cap for the field and a felt one to wear between the coverts and the lunch place.

Ash

Because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well- Diary of Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery Munjor, KS 1902