16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Winchester model 1897 16 ga.
fourtrax
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:11 pm  Reply with quote

I have been "eyeing" up several different Win. model 97 16 ga, & even a 12 ga. or two. Would like to / am thinking very hard on purchasing a 16 ga.

Anyone own one here and / or hunt with one? I thought one in a 28 or 30" full or modified choke would make a decent Pheasant gun. I shot a round of trap last year with an 1897 model manfactured in 1898. It shot well for me and it had a "good feel"
to it.

Anyone have some thoughts, observations, opinions, stories regarding a Win. 97?

last dollar
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:58 pm  Reply with quote

We have a client/hunter who can afford the best, and sometimes shoots a Boss. He often carries a 16 Model 97, and kills a lot of roosters with it. I love it. When I treat him nice ,he lets me use it, An American classic! If i ever find one thats talks to me like his does, I'll buy it...Hard for a died in the wool double gun guy to admit...
Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:46 pm  Reply with quote

There is one for sale on the Cowboy Action Shooting Classifieds.

http://www.sassnet.com
deer hunter
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:06 pm  Reply with quote

had a lot of them over the yrs - have several right now . safety's right under you thumb , point great , have much heavier barrels than m-12's & onand on .make sure the action stays locked when you giggle the foreend as the lock bar can break (rare) and the breach block is nicely up - if not marked 23/4 . it's probably 29/16 but can easily be chambered out - shoot the crap out of it and ENJOY !

kgb
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:00 am  Reply with quote

Have only one but really like the gun! A 26" Cylinder barrel makes it about perfect as an opener for doves in September and closer for rabbits in February.

It's a pretty hefty gun, and felt heavier than another 16ga 28" barreled gun at Flatwater so am thinking the stock may be pretty dense on mine. Trigger pull's pretty heavy as well.

struff55
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:55 am  Reply with quote

I have hunted with a 28'' full choke version for25yrs handles fine they are built on the 12ga. frame so are not the lightest 16ga out there but if that is not an issue they work fine.
Mod 97
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:19 pm  Reply with quote

Uhhhhhh, model 97 16ga is very definitely not on a 12ga frame.

They are all steel and built like a tank, so they are by no means light, but they are very sleek and have a rather low profile / compact receiever for a pump gun. They point like a dream, at least for me.

I've been shooting my great uncle Irving's 16ga m97 since I was 14 and have loved every minute of it. It's 28" full and they weren't kiddin when they used the "full" stamp. I've made some great shots with that old gun.

I've used it for everything up to geese and while a m97 takes some getting used to for most people, it's second nature for me at this point.

On the other hand, the model 97 is also known as the "widow maker" due to the exposed hammer, and there are people who have made it clear they were uncomfortable hunting with me when I used it. I have never had any issues with the exposed hammer, although the risk is real.

NR

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:52 pm  Reply with quote

I've owned a couple in the past, I liked them both, cowboy action shooting has driven up their prices in the past few years, and originals are getting harder to find. Good used shooters are still affordable, but with wear they have the nack of shooting open, meaning they will fire the shell before the action is completely closed causing major problems, so if you find a deal, be sure to have it thorughly checked by a competent Winchester experienced smith before shooting it much.
Two issues I experienced:
1. Getting used to keeping my hand out of the way when cycling the action, the breech is very close to the wrist of the stock when opened all the way to the rear and it will bite you each and every time, after a bit of practice ( and reminders) you learn how not to get your hand in the way.
2. The hammer can fall on a loaded chamber, always carry with the chamber empty until you are ready to shoot, I have witnessed quite a few accidents of novices trying to lower the hammer on a loaded chamber and have it slip off their thumb and discharge. This, of course, is a given safety rule of long ago, but with an exposed hammer, the issue becomes paramount.
They are fantastic guns, well made, and will last generations, they are one of the most slickest operating pump guns ever made, I have witnessed experienced users getting off two shots as fast as any gun made. The later models command the highest asking prices, but it pays to keep your eyes open, there are literally thousands of these guns out there.
MOPARMAN1979
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:00 pm  Reply with quote

I thought the 1911 Winchester semi-auto shotgun was called the widow maker? I could be wrong. I have never heard of a 1897 being called this. Also I could be wrong but does'nt the 1897 have a half cock that is a safety? Like I said I could be wrong. I own a 1897 Winchester 16 gauge made in 1907 that is my favorite shotgun. Also own a 1897 Winchester made in 1909 that is a 12 gauge. I should sell it or trade it. I have no use for it. I basically just shoot 16 gauges now. What got me interested in 1897 Winchester's was the movie with Burt Reynolds called Gator. Jerry Reed is in it. And he sings the song at the start of the movie. Hammer pulled back on a 12 gauge pump. Starting looking and found 1897 Winchesters. Just have no use for the 12 gauge now. Also let me know about that widow maker.
Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:51 pm  Reply with quote

The 1893 Winchester was called the "Widow Maker" It had several safety issues. It was recalled by Winchester and the replacement 1897 was given in exchange. many 1893 still exist and were not turned in for the exchange/recall.

The Original 1893 was designed by J.M. Browning and sold to Winchester. Winchester engineers, Value engineered Browning's design. They eleminated some important safety features of the original design. Also the Browning 1893 was a Black Powder piece, and such would not handle the pressures of the new smokless powder being adopted at the time.

All 1897 Models are safe to shoot with current factory field loads, no magnums tho. The forcing cones are short as they were reamed for 2 3/4" paper shells which when fired are shorter than the current plastic shells because of the crimp length. I had my 97/16 forcing cone lengthened, this reduces the chamber pressure on the old girl, and also reduces recoil when I use plastic star crimped shells.
My current 97/16 "E" model was made in 1941. This is my fourth 97/16. The oldest was made in 1905 a "C" model. The other was a "D" model, 1914, then an other "D" model 1924. All are take-down models.
The last 97's were made in 1957.
The 1897/12 was used by the U.S. Army in all Wars including Vietnam. The Army's shells were all brass, loaded with B/S or Slugs. Plastic shells were introduced some time during Vietnam.
MOPARMAN1979
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:02 am  Reply with quote

I still say the Winchester 1911 semi auto was known as the widow maker. Not the 1893 or 1897. Browning improved the 1897 over the 1893. Just liked he improved the 1900 colt 1902 colt, 1905. etc... that gave us the 1911. Like I said never heard tell of the 1897 or 1893 being called the widow maker. Look up the 1911 Winchester semi auto and u will c. Bet Winchester is still sorry they did not get the A-5.
Kivaari
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:31 pm  Reply with quote

So....is it or isn't on a dedicated frame size???? Exclamation Question

sks trigger master...www.kivaari.com
over 3,000 trigger tunes one at a time
NRA Endowment Member
Life Member Texas State Rifle Assoc
My best friend: tri-color Fr Brittany
Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 3:29 pm  Reply with quote

Not !

12 ga. frsme only Sad
Mod 97
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

Anybody can "nickname" any gun anything. I'm sure there are dozens of models known as widowmaker.

Can the guy that still owns both a 12 and a 16ga m97 (moparman1979) please chime in and inform the crowd that the frame of a 12ga is bigger than that of a 16ga?

Post some pics or something?

The frame sizes aren't even close.

NR

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:37 pm  Reply with quote

Only one Model 1897/97 frame 12- or 16-gauge frames all the same.