16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Gun, and owner, age
3DocPop
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:28 am  Reply with quote

I recently bought my first 16 gauge, a Model 37. Very limited research shows the gun was built in 1956 - the same year I was born. Just a freak coincidence, but it gives the gun a little more meaning. That started me thinking, and brought me to a question.

Does anyone else have (or are you looking for) a gun built in a year, or date, that is significant to them? Why, what brand, model, etc.?

3DocPop
311A 16ga
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:57 am  Reply with quote

Congradulations, good gun. I and my two brothers were started on Win 37s in 16 ga. Picked cherries with determination the summer of 1950 at the tender age of 14; mother said that if I had enough money left over after I bought my school duds that I could buy a gun (my first real lesson in fiscal responsibility from a mother how had survived the 'great depresson').

Only hunting-to-birth related thing I can relate to was born same year that first waterfowl stamp was issued: 1936.
3DocPop
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:07 pm  Reply with quote

Oops! Shows how much I still have to learn. I didn't realize there were multiple types of Model 37's. Mine is an Ithaca. I bought it because I wanted a 16 gauge pump (but I am getting a double, I promise! Very Happy ), and want something to leave to my son when it is time. He is a lefty shooter, but wouldn't you know it, at 6' 5", he is a bit too big for the gun, or so he thinks now Rolling Eyes Time will tell.

3DocPop
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:58 pm  Reply with quote

Pop, regardless of the tweed and knickers BS you see flying around this lunatic asylum, doubles are not manditory. Rolling Eyes They are nice, but hardly necessary. That pump shucker will do just fine. you got the pick of the litter too when it comes to 16 pumps IMO. Welcome aboard. 16GG
Foursquare
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:00 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, about 5 yrs ago I began trying to buy guns made the year I was born.
Have several now, including a SAA, Sweet 16, 870, and Sav 99.

Pete
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:28 pm  Reply with quote

I am always on the lookout for a good deal even if it's not a 16---it can be traded for one Twisted Evil
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:25 am  Reply with quote

I bought a 16ga 870 off the internet recently that was born about 6 months after me, same calendar year. Wasn't really looking for that, but it's kinda cool.
Bronco
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:16 pm  Reply with quote

I'm an old guy, but my 16's are way older. One 16 hammer double will be 106 next month, the other turned 100 last month. My English box lock was made the year of the great depression, 1929. I haven't checked the birthday for my M12, but since my grand father bought it used, my guess is that it's older than me Smile
fred lauer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:48 pm  Reply with quote

Bronco, Next time you take you're model 12 apart, shine a flash light in on top of the magazine tube. There will be a two didgit number stamped in it. This will be the year of manufacture.I can't say if thats true on all of them, but I know it is on guns from the 40's and 50's that I've verifyed by the original owners.

Birdswatter
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:40 pm  Reply with quote

Happened just last week.......I tried to buy a very nice Browning Sweet Sixteen, coincidentally manufactured in my birth year. It was already SOLD! Oh well. I figure a gun that's been around as long as me must be reliable!!! Wink

Last edited by Birdswatter on Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Square Load
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:10 pm  Reply with quote

I have a standard Auto 5 and Rem 870 both 16ga. mfg. in '52, the year I was born. Didn't know that when I bought them, just got lucky.
Grousen
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:43 pm  Reply with quote

Just a couple months ago, I bought an Ithaca Mod/37R (solid rib model) in 16 gauge. I already have a 16 gauge Sissytori Lightning Feather which is my primary upland gun. But with Ithaca having gone out of business (I am pleased but surprised are now back in business), I got a big bug to get an older 16 gauge pump as Ithaca Pumps were my first love in shotguns. I guess its true you never forget your first!!

Anyway, I was delighted to find out shortly after purchasing it that it was made within a month or two of my birth, late 1952. I guess out of sentimentality I sent it off to Les Hovencamp to be restored. He just shipped it back to me today, should have it back by the end of the week. Too bad I can't have the same done to myself!!

Now I am struggling with whether to have Briley thin wall choke tubes installed or to leave it as is, 26" modified. I primarily hunt grouse and pheasant over my britanny and would prefer an IC choke. I am interested in what you fellows would suggest. Thanks in advance.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:08 pm  Reply with quote

52'- great year: Square Load, Grousen, and me Very Happy Once had a 12g. J.C.Higgins Model 20 with the Pachmayer Power-Pak cage/choke tubes with all 3 tubes. With alot of old Sears catalogue research (they didn't have serial #s but there were some model code changes) was able to determine it was made in 52' also. Once again, like an idiot, it's long gone. Embarassed
Would love to have an Ithaca M-37T (trap) from 52'-beautiful wood on those great old guns!
3DocPop
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

OK, now I'm a little more curious. Grousen, how can I go about finding something closer than year of manufacture? I would also be curious to see if the gun was made somewhere close to my birthday (early April, have about a week before I am 50 Shocked ) My Model 37 is serial # 608,238. Information I have seen shows 602,xxx through 632,xxx in 1956.

And I wonder about the statistical probability of the majority of respondents to this thread being born in 52 Confused

I also talked to Les Hovencamp, but about getting a new barrel fitted, mine is 28" full. I did talk to Briley briefly, and was told they needed 0.070 6" from the muzzle to install tubes in my barrel.

3DocPop