16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  SHOT Show Report
brdhnt
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:12 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I spent much of my time at the SHOT Show checking out the list I posted prior to the show. Here are the results:

1. Browning - They will continue to make the 16 gauge Citoris as special runs only. They have no other plans for 16 gauges in any other configuration.

2. The L.C. Smith (not a 16, but people were interested)
Made for Marlin by Fausti-Stephano. In the SxS configuration it has:
Automatic safety
Ejectors
Choke tubes
Non-selective single trigger
Available in straight grip or pistol
Available now.
Price range - $1399-$1599 MSRP

3. Ruger
No plans for a 16 gauge Red Label. 16 and 20 gauge Gold labels on comparable frame sizes are in R&D right now but production is AT LEAST three years away.

4. Fiocchi

Fiocchi HAS expanded their line of Golden Pheasants in 16 gauge. They will be offering them in #4, # 6 and # 7 1/2 in addition to # 5's. I spent quite a bit of time talking with my contact at Fiocchi AND the VP of their R&D department. They were very interested in expanding their 16 gauge line and sometime in March, I will be sitting down in a meeting with them about the following:

Making their game and target line of 16 gauge ammo available in a 7/8th ounce loading of 7 1/2's, 8's and 9's.

Making their one ounce wads available for reloading and if they start making a 7/8th ounce load they will also make those wads available for reloading.

Fiocchi was overwhelmed by the reaction to their 16 gauge original Golden Pheasants (they can't produce them fast enough) and they are expanding their 16 gauge facilities so they are very promising for expanding their 16 gauge line also. I will report back after I talk with their top people.

5. Tri-Star

Tri-Star has expanded their line of side by sides. They are now offering their Brittany model in 16 gauge. It is an English stock with choke tubes and ejectors. It is made by Zobola.

6. Beretta

As 16 ga. reported, Beretta is considering using a 20 gauge frame and building a 16 gauge. Their VP of R&D and their VP of Marketing told me that they doubled their production of SxS's in 2004, doubled it again in 2005 and will double it again in 2006 sincethey are still running almost a year behind in orders. They assured me that when they get the production of SxS's up to a "fill the order when it comes in" level, that they WILL be making the 16. Hopefully within a year. They have no plans for a 16 gauge O/U or semi-auto.

7. Franchi

Franchi is now under the Benelli group. They have dropped the Alicone and Velocci line of O/U's and are making the new line called the Renaissance. I was told that a 16 gauge is "a definite possiblity" but is at least two years down the road. It will probably be done on a 12 gauge frame, but will be in their titanium framed ultra-light series to make the weight right for a 16. Franchi IS considering doing a 16 gauge semi-auto in their Benelli clone. The Benelli Montefeltro can be done in a 16 gauge, but it will be done under the Franchi line. Since Franchi has quite a following in 28 gauges, this is also a possibility in a 28 gauge. Their big meeting for next year's R&D is in June and I will be talking to their R&D people before then.

8. Remington

The Big Green is going strong. They changed companies with their sales contract last year which is what resulted in all of the reps getting fired. Unfortunately, Remington is not interested in changing anything in their 16 gauge line or bringing out anything new. They are "disappointed" with the sales of the 1100/870 in 16 gauge. I told them why, but they won't change it!

9. Winchester

I couldn't get a straight answer from anyone associated with Winchester. I did find out that the New Haven plant is scheduled to close on March 1, 2006. Browning will "probably" absorb the Model 70 and Model 94 into their line and have them made in Japan. Winchester ammo is still going strong but has no plans for expanding their 16 gauge line of ammo or making anything new available for reloaders.

10. CZ's

CZ has almost doubled their production of their SXS line. The new 16 gauges will be available in March and they are being produced right now and they hope to have enough on hand in March to meet the initial orders. In conjunction with Huglu, they have increased production and decreased the bag log on orders from eight months to currently two months. They hope to have it up to filling orders as they come in by August of this year.

11. 16 gauge wads

Claybuster is not interested. As earlier stated, Fiocchi may be increasing their production. Jim from Downrange Wads is going to contact Winchester about buying their molds for the WAA-16. When he gets into the negotiating stage with Winchester, I will be posting it on this board for an e-mail campaign to let him know the interest out there. Duster Wads was not at the show.

12. Round body 16's

I could not find Tony at the show.

13. 16 gauge ammo

B&P is increasing their 16 gauge line and will "probably" be introducing a 1 ounce hunting load in 5's and 6's. They will contact me when it is a reality and I will report back.

Hevi-Shot is planning a line of 16 gauge ammo under their new 'upland' line. I was told that it will probably be in production this year. I'll report back when it becomes available.

Now, I have saved the best for last.

Kimber is importing a 16 gauge side by side made in Turkey under the Hatfield banner. It is an exact reproduction of a Holland and Holland 7 pin sidelock. It is built on a 20 gauge frame and weighs in the 6-6 1/4 pound range. Currently avialable with straight stock and double triggers only. Grade I has extractors and a price of $ 3900.00 and Grade II has ejectors and a price of $ 4700.00. My editor at Upland Almanac said that in describing this gun that I was "obviously a man in love" and I agreed. This gun is gorgeous, practical, beautiful and I am getting one!!!!!

So, that's the SHOT show report. You will notice that KBI/Daly is not mentioned. PM me and I'll tell you the story about them.

The 16 is REALLY SWEET!

Terry M. Boyer
________
Babimac

Last edited by brdhnt on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
TJC
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:14 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the great update.
Great news as far as I'm concerned about Fiocchi adding 4's to their lineup of Golden Pheasant loads.

Also good encouraging news about Beretta. I'd love to see a Silverhawk in 16 as long as they offer a pistol grip and double triggers. Very Happy

Not sure about the Kimber deal. For that kind of money I would look at the Merkels where I can get more options in the stock and triggers. Just my $.02 on that one. I'm not a single trigger, straight stock kind of guy.

offhand35
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:19 am  Reply with quote

Terry, even though I did not participate in responding to your request for input re: the SHOT show, I want to let you know that I appreciate your report.

Your news of the Beretta sXs 16ga being about 2-3 years away and the Ruger Gold Label about 5, are most interesting. I had been hoping that Ruger would have planned for a 16 a little sooner ...
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:17 am  Reply with quote

If Ruger is serious about a 16 gage GL then I may just hold out for one even if it is 3 years away. After all, I waited 4 or 5 years (I forget) for my current GL. (I placed an order with my local dealer within a week of my first reading about the GL.)
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:08 pm  Reply with quote

Agree with everybody. Wanted to buy American but 5 yrs to wait for a Ruger GL (and not a sure thing) is a long time. Might even consider the pseudo-Marlin-LC which is sorta buying American if they can get a 16 out first. Me, the dog, and the bird gun all look pretty beat up after one bird season in Ks and S. Dakota mud and brush and I need a 'shooter' (that I have confidence in) rather than a 'looker'.
Foursquare
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:51 pm  Reply with quote

brdhnt wrote:
No plans for a 16 gauge Red Label. 16 and 20 gauge Gold labels on comparable frame sizes are in R&D right now but production is AT LEAST three years away.

I may be missing something, but the para above seems to contradict itself.
Should it read "28 and 20 gauge Gold labels on comparable......"?

Great news about Fiocchi, both ammo and wads, and Heavy shot.
Thanks for the update.

Pete
Scolari
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:04 pm  Reply with quote

Well, I'm ready to buy some Fiocchi's in #6. I already use the 5's and like them.
I'll take a look at the CZ in 16. I don't have a SxS currently but then again I never did shoot one well.
My big hold out will be for the Benelli clone. I don't care who makes it as long as it is a good auto.
Remington, what can you say. I guess they will never get it. Thats probably why other companies are beating the pants off of them. I predict they will go the same way as Winchester in a few years.
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:11 pm  Reply with quote

brdhnt wrote:

3. Ruger

4. Fiocchi

Fiocchi HAS expanded their line of Golden Pheasants in 16 gauge. They will be offering them in #4, # 6 and # 7 1/2 in addition to # 5's. I spent quite a bit of time talking with my contact at Fiocchi AND the VP of their R&D department. They were very interested in expanding their 16 gauge line and sometime in March, I will be sitting down in a meeting with them about the following:

6. Beretta

As 16 ga. reported, Beretta is considering using a 20 gauge frame and building a 16 gauge. Their VP of R&D and their VP of Marketing told me that they doubled their production of SxS's in 2004, doubled it again in 2005 and will double it again in 2006 sincethey are still running almost a year behind in orders. They assured me that when they get the production of SxS's up to a "fill the order when it comes in" level, that they WILL be making the 16. Hopefully within a year. They have no plans for a 16 gauge O/U or semi-auto.

7. Franchi

Franchi is now under the Benelli group. They have dropped the Alicone and Velocci line of O/U's and are making the new line called the Renaissance. I was told that a 16 gauge is "a definite possiblity" but is at least two years down the road. It will probably be done on a 12 gauge frame, but will be in their titanium framed ultra-light series to make the weight right for a 16. Franchi IS considering doing a 16 gauge semi-auto in their Benelli clone. The Benelli Montefeltro can be done in a 16 gauge, but it will be done under the Franchi line. Since Franchi has quite a following in 28 gauges, this is also a possibility in a 28 gauge. Their big meeting for next year's R&D is in June and I will be talking to their R&D people before then.

8. Remington

The Big Green is going strong. They changed companies with their sales contract last year which is what resulted in all of the reps getting fired. Unfortunately, Remington is not interested in changing anything in their 16 gauge line or bringing out anything new. They are "disappointed" with the sales of the 1100/870 in 16 gauge. I told them why, but they won't change it!

10. CZ's

CZ has almost doubled their production of their SXS line. The new 16 gauges will be available in March and they are being produced right now and they hope to have enough on hand in March to meet the initial orders. In conjunction with Huglu, they have increased production and decreased the bag log on orders from eight months to currently two months. They hope to have it up to filling orders as they come in by August of this year.

Now, I have saved the best for last.

Kimber is importing a 16 gauge side by side made in Turkey ...

(Terry gushing over this Kimber deleted...)

The 16 is REALLY SWEET! (I think he likes this one guys... LOL)

Thanks for a great report Terry.

3) About Ruger, I hope they can get those 16/20's out soon, but if the production problems they had with the 12ga GL's are any indication, then 3 years may even be optimistic. I hope I am wrong, but I am not holding my breath. However, the fact that they are interested is a good sign. However, that is disappointing that they won't consider a 16 for the RL. They need a niche for the RL since they are getting killed in the 12/20 because it is too heavy and $$ compared to the other guns in its class. Now, the 28ga RL is far and away the best of the RL's. They could have similar results with a 16, but oh well.

4) Great news about Fiocchi. That should say something about the strength of the 16ga market that they can't make the golden pheasants fast enough. Looking forward to your report on the June meeting. The 7/8 target load and some wads would be super.

6) Very cool about Beretta making the 16 ga sxs again. Looking at the auction prices for the used ones I am not surprised at all. They are commanding some astonishing prices for how new the guns are. A year away on a 16 sxs Silverhawk sounds great. I am saving my $ already.

7) Franchi has always struck me as making shooters, by which I mean good solid field guns. I am really really pleased to hear them wanting to make a 16ga auto. I have one of their AL48's in 28 and it is a great little gun. I would love to see what they could do with a 712/720 type model in 16ga, a 716 if you will. Would be a fabulous upland auto if done right.

Cool Not surprised by Remington, given their lack of responsiveness to changing consumer trends. Disappointing really, but not surprising. Having had some real issues with their customer service department over a replacement barrel for an old 12ga 1100, I am not surprised at their lack of responsiveness on this issue. They just don't seem to be responsive to the details of guns or service. Weight makes a BIG difference for a 16ga, so to totally ignore that issue with their 16ga 1100/870's and then wonder why it doesn't sell is just ignorant. SIGH...

On another Remington issue, I wonder how the new 1100 Comp and the new 105 CTi will do. I hope well enough to allow for some sub-gauges other than 12, but I am not holding my breath.

10) May have to check out one of those new CZ's. I handled a couple of the 20 and 28's last fall and wasn't exactly blown away by the quality for the $. Hopefully these will be better. I really wish Yildiz made a 16... *GRIN*

As for the Kimber, I would love to see one. I don't know of any dealers that stock Kimber and that is alot of $ to purchase one sight unseen. Although, I have to say Terry singing it's praises has made me very curious to check one out.

thanks again for a great report.

Brad
Foursquare
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:54 am  Reply with quote

Foursquare wrote:
I may be missing something, but the para above seems to contradict itself.

Obviously what I was missing was my reading glasses, and maybe a few marbles. Smile It never occurred to me that they would even consider an O/U in 16.

Time to start saving for a Gold Label, and a Franchi/Benelli. Both in 16 of course!!

Pete
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:03 pm  Reply with quote

Having this conversation again so moving the thread back to the current 'General Discussion'