16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Anyone got any red dot 16 loads?
Bronco
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:44 am  Reply with quote

16GG, I just sent off a set of bbls to Trulock to have them opened up from full/extra full to skeet and IC. The gun is a 106 year old Husky hammer gun with steel bbls. I am thinking about sending off the English gun bbls to have the left full choke bbl opened up to IC to match the right bbl. I use the guns mostly for informal skeet, sporting clays and the occasional dove/quail and don't have the skill to utilize the tightly choked bbls.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:32 am  Reply with quote

Bronco, if you do this, make sure the folks doing the job will absolutely guarentee no POI shift. Rechoking or having Choke tubes installed in older guns is a lot trickier than doing it in modern guns with nice straight hammer forged barrels.

Most older doubles were regulated by shooting them in with wedges spaced between the barrels to change the POI of each until they both coincided. This meant the middle of the barrels are curved slightly outwards so the barrel mouthes point inwards a bit. They also sometimes are slightly bent upwards or downwards slightly to put the patterns on the same horizontal plane. Many had the choked section of the barrel tweaked for final regulation by several methods, like eccentric boring the choke to steer the shot column, jug choking and lapping away more of the off side of the bore behind the choke to guide the shot string in the opposit direction. They also often bent the last few inches of the barrel, etc.

Just simply guiding the cutting tool to ream the choke or the threaded end in line with the bore as done with modern barrels can and often does actually deregulate the older guns. That is why any number of gunsmithes who work on these older guns warn against monkeying with the choke end of the barrels unless the guy doing it knows exactly what he's doing.

Get the guarentee first and have the guy doing it varify the POI for each barrel before reaming it. Otherwise, you might get a gun back that no longer shoots where it is supposed to. 16GG.
Bronco
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:59 am  Reply with quote

16GG. Too late for the first set as the little brown truck will be delivering them to me this evening. Will pattern them tomorrow with fingers crossed. Although after a couple of rounds of skeet with full/extra full bbls, I was ready to try anything. I would have done as well shooting slugs. I will certainly talk with Trulock, as you suggested, before sending the other two sets. Thanks for the info. Bob
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:24 pm  Reply with quote

Well that was the bad news then. the good news is that even if barrels are now slightly divergent, you won't notice it on the skeet field. Even poorly regulated barrels won't show it until the range is past 30 yards or so unless they are way, way, off. Just shoot the skeet chokes and don't worry about it.

Its the same for birds inside 30 yards too. The truth is, I kill far more birds on the near side of 30 than the far side. I use a skeet and IC choke for most of the first half of the season and can't ever remember loosing a bird because of the choke choice. Tighter chokes only come into play once I need to go to bigger pellets and fewer of them. the range factor still doesn't factor in much as few birds hardly ever get further out than 30 yards before the shot overtakes them.

I raise a lot of hell about poorly made and poorly regulated barrels, because I'm a consumer. I won't give the supply side any excuse to start slacking off in quality to save some bucks or make more. If I did, I'd soon end up with a gun with barrels that look like a curlyQ. The manufacturers will only give us what we axpect and demand of them. Why settle for less. I want straight, well regulated barrels, because it is easily possible with today's technology, and because I can use the extra range and accuracy to good effect if I need to. I don't shoot at many birds out at 40 yards or beyond. however, when I do, I like to hit them cleanly. Its nice to know the gun can do it too.
Bronco
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:07 pm  Reply with quote

You da man Cool Will post results from skeet and clays range. Will either be
Very Happy or Crying or Very sad