16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Model 37 Chamber
ColoradoPaul
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:39 am  Reply with quote

All:

In another thread on this site I noticed a comment concerning ejection problems in the Model 37 when the chamber got hot. I’ve had this problem also, usually about 60 rounds into 100 rounds of sporting clays. My friends have gotten used to me whipping of the barrel to get a shell out and I assumed it was just the nature of the beast. It is a 16g made in 1948 or1949 I believe.

In the other thread, someone mentioned polishing the chamber to help with this problem. I’ve given the chamber the once over with a chamber brush every now and again. Any thoughts one how to do a better job of it? Maybe emery cloth or steel wool over the chamber brush or something.

You’ll be instructing someone who took 2 years to rebuild his 1978 BMW motorcycle because he’s so mechanically disinclined (but it came out real nice), so please be specific about grit or steel wool type.

Thanks
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:39 pm  Reply with quote

Probably the easiest way is to simply cut a 3/4" slot in a wood dowel, and insert a 3/4 inch strip of wet-or-dri paper with a bit of light machine oil, or tapping oil on it, and wind it up, abrasive surface out (duh). Then, chuck it into a drill of some sort, and polish away, moving the drill up and down about a 3" length at the end of the barrel. I started with 400 grit, moved up to 600, and finished with 1000, after which I used a strip of rag in the dowel slot with a bit of plain old automotive polishing compound. I used the above stuff because it is what I had about the shop. The only ammunition I had trouble with was Winchester (the shells from Australia) everything else worked fine. You could also cut a little piece of inner tube to use as a backing on the polishing fixture of dowel and wet or dri paper, but, thats optional.
Mine wasn't that rough, but, the "primative Pete" polish system I used on it worked just fine. Don't get too carried away with the 400 grit, you don't need to remove metal, just clean up whats there.
Oh, and by the way, you don't have to disassemble the gun to remove a hung up shell-use a longer dowel down the barrel with the action open to just push the stuck empty out into the action. The dowel needs to be a bit longer than the barrel, and my club keeps them at every station for this purpose, and pushing stuck wads out from "blooper" handloads.
Good luck. My 16 is a recent production ultralightweight, with choke tubes, and needed the polishing. I woulda' guessed the old guns weren't prone to the trouble, but, guess I'm wrong.
Best,
Ted