16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  new gun
larry
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:19 am  Reply with quote

I have a new Charlin on the way. I am happy. Very Happy Very Happy It has 2.5 inch chambers. Who is a good supplier of these cartridges? I wa nt to use it for chukar hunting and eventually want to reload the hulls. Has anyone on the forum had the chambers lengthened on a Charlin or any other gun? Regards, Larry
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:15 am  Reply with quote

Kent sells 2 1/2" 16's in their Gamebore line. B&P also makes short 16's, but they've changed distributors here in the States, and the shells have been hard to get of late. Eley also makes short 16's.

Join the 16ga group. You can reload for the 16, using standard 2 3/4" hulls but maintaining low pressure, and shoot those shells in your Charlin. They're neat guns. You'll have fun.
larry
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:23 am  Reply with quote

Larry Brown,
Thanks for the info. I am a member of the low pressure group. Do you mean that I can shoot 2-3/4 shells in the gun if they are low pressure? I am somewhat confused. Larry
offhand35
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:43 am  Reply with quote

Graf's has Cheddite 2 1/2" [65mm] primed hulls in stock. It certainly saves cutting down 70mm hulls.....

http://www.grafs.com/

I just received 1k of them, and am very pleased. I have 3 1oz. loads that have done well for me using IMR PB and IMR 800X with 65mm [cut] Fiocchi hulls.
I made up a set of each with the Cheddites to send for testing, to confirm what I now already know. Each load with the Cheddites chrony'd within 10-20 fps of expectation......

BTW, I do not seem to have the problem so many on this forum seem to have re: crimping virgin hulls......as someone had stated on another post, if you use a load that perfectly fills the hull to the crimp line, and operate the loader a little gently at the crimp station....it seems to work out well..use 6 point crimps....
The only problem that does occur with these new hulls, is that a FEW of them open up a little after a few days. This is easily rectified by putting them back on the last crimp station, and holding down for a few seconds.

larry
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:01 am  Reply with quote

offhand 35, Thanks for the reloading info. I too have had few problems reloading new hulls. I am still awaiting the arrival of my new gun. Larry
larry
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:34 am  Reply with quote

I still am unable to post the photo of the charlin barrel flats. Does anyone have any other ideas. If I sent the photo,via email, could someone more computer literate than I send it to this group? Thanks for your info. Larry
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:56 am  Reply with quote

Larry, if you want to e-mail me the picture, I should be able to help you out. asphaltdave@comcast.net
Bronco
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:10 am  Reply with quote

Larry, Go to your friendly ACE hardware and pick up one of their tapered stones that is just a touch larger than the new 16ga Cheddite hull. Just a couple of thou larger. It's a stock item. Chuck it up in your drill and start to skivvin'. With the adaptor for your MEC and six point crimp starter, you will get perfectly crimped loads that look just like factory. Just as easy as loading once fired 2.75in hulls.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:04 am  Reply with quote

Picture of Larry's Charlin barrel. Proof Marks. Photobucket automatically resized it. If you'd like a larger view, e-mail me and I'll send it to you.
asphaltdave@comcast.net

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y54/bitman/proofmarks.jpg
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:28 am  Reply with quote

That's the one we discussed over on gunshop. Chambers have already been lengthened to 2 3/4", reproof done in England. That gun must have an interesting history.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:29 am  Reply with quote

Larry, yes I posted the picture here for the other Larry. Then I figured he'd get better response from the " other site " on this type of gun and question.
jkingrph
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:48 am  Reply with quote

Picked up a fairly nice Charlin a couple of months ago from a gun show. Had to do some dealing, they had it initally priced like a nicer Darne, about 3800, finally got it for a little less than half. They did not really know what it was, thought it was a Darne "knock off" . Stock has nice grain, had numerous dents which responded well to steam. Fortunately it had no gouges or deep scratches, Refreshed checkering with fine riffler from Brownells, then finished with low gloss oil. Receiver is engraved in a scroll pattern. Case hardening almost completely gone, Now looks like a well used old gun. Had chambers checked and lengthened per Ted. S's recommendation. Shoots well and that sliding breech is smooth beyond comaprison. Absolutely love it. Have a much prettier Darne 28, but think I am going to like this 16 much better.

Jeff

larry
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:55 am  Reply with quote

jkingrph,
I too like my charlin. The action is smooth as silk. I am still trying to hit with it. It has a drop at heel of 3" and it kicks pretty good. I will load up some light loads and try some more. larry