16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Wall-Mart & 16ga Shells
fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:00 pm  Reply with quote

clayflingythingy wrote:
Forget Wal Mart and establish a good rapport with your local gun shop. Ask the local shop to order you 16's by the flat in whatever flavor you want. Just give the dealer enuff advance notice that he can order it in with his regular orders. That's how I get my ammo for the 16.

I can't disagree in theory, but here even the gun shops carry few if any 16's, and always at full list. As for ordering, I don't always want to buy a flat. I want to be able to buy one ot two boxes of whatever I want, whenever I want it. Not very realistic, maybe, but that doesn't mean I can't want it.

I'm old fashioned, I guess, but there's something I like about stopping off for a couple boxes of shells or a sleeve or two of golf balls or a tin of pipe tobacco. Not very efficient, but that's just me.

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
nossman
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:50 pm  Reply with quote

Do you think that if the Wal-Mart corporate office was to receive a few thousand formal requests (phone calls, emails, & written letters), encouraging them to make a standard (chain-wide) stocking change, would they listen, and respond respectively?

How about the following, for all stores?
Remington
GL166 16 Gauge Lead Game Load Shotshell, 2-3/4" Shell, #6 Shot, 1 oz., 1200 fps
GL168 16 Gauge Lead Game Load Shotshell, 2-3/4" Shell, #8 Shot, 1 oz., 1200 fps
PL166 16 Gauge Pheasant Load Shotshell, 2-3/4" Shell, #6 Lead Shot, 1-1/8 oz., 1295 fps

Winchester
XU16 16 Gauge Super-X Game Load Shotshell, 2-3/4" Shell, #6 Shot, 1 oz., 1165 fps
XU168 16 Gauge Super-X Game Load Shotshell, 2-3/4" Shell, #8 Shot, 1 oz., 1165 fps
X16H6 16 Gauge Super-X Game Load Shotshell, 2-3/4" Shell, #6 Shot, 1-1/8 oz., 1295 fps
brdhnt
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:44 pm  Reply with quote

I don't know how many of you have access to a K-Mart or Super K-Mart but I have been able to find the Winchester 1 ounce loads there quite often. At the end of the season, they will have a row or two of hunting accessories and ammo at discount prices. Last year I found two flats of the Winchester 1 ounce loads of # 8 marked $3.49 a box. I asked the Sporting Goods Manager if she could give me a better price if I bought all that she had. She told me that if I bought those two flats and the two flats of one ounce #6's
(whcih I had no use for, but will shoot them up fo the cases), she would sell them all to me for $32 a flat. I gave her my business card and asked her to please call me if she got any more 16 gauge ammo in. Last July, she called me when she was making up her order for dove season. She told me that she could order 16 gauge ammo made by Federal, Remington or Winchester but she needed a minimum of five flats but they could be mixed. I called some other 16 gauge shooters I knew and we bought 2 flats of 1 ounce Winchester # 8's, two flats of Remington # 7 1/2's and two flats of Federal 7 1/2's. The price was $33 for the Winchester, $ 34 for the Remington and $ 35 for the Federals. She was also kind enough to tell me that anytime we needed ammo, if we could get a five flat order together that she would order it for me. She told me that the Sporting Good managers in the K-Mart stores should be willing to do this for 16 gauge shooters in other parts of the country, so if you have access to a K-Mart, it would be worth the time to go in and get to know the manager of the Sporting Goods section.
Just thought I'd let y'all know about this.

TMB
________
Autism Advice

Last edited by brdhnt on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
sparky
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:05 pm  Reply with quote

brdhnt,
You live in a climent where is it correct and approiate to make those typeof requests of your local Mart.. Out West you might get a response of "Would you like fries with that."Or I don't think they make those anymore do they? It is difficult to put your trust into that anfd get the right order. Sparky
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:37 am  Reply with quote

brdhnt, that's great service--and a great price--from your K-Mart.
tjwalker
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

The Wal-Mart in Pleasanton, Texas at this time has a few cases of 16 ga shells. They are one ounce loads of 8s in a light field load and one ounce loads of 6s in a high brass, high velocity load. The 8's sell for 4.77 or so and the 6's are 7.49. I guess we have enough 16 ga shooters down here to get them to stock them regularly. I was told by the sporting dept manager that they should be able to order them at any Wal-Mart store, but they are discouraged from ordering what they don't think will sell or move out in a timely manner. They are in abundance on the shelves during dove and quail season. Wal-Mart used to have a complaint letter that was sent to the VP of the company if you were not happy. Just asking for one usually would make the store manager comply with any reasonable request.
rayb
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:38 am  Reply with quote

brdhnt wrote:
I don't know how many of you have access to a K-Mart or Super K-Mart but I have been able to find the Winchester 1 ounce loads there quite often. At the end of the season, they will have a row or two of hunting accessories and ammo at discount prices. Last year I found two flats of the Winchester 1 ounce loads of # 8 marked $3.49 a box. I asked the Sporting Goods Manager if she could give me a better price if I bought all that she had. She told me that if I bought those two flats and the two flats of one ounce #6's
(whcih I had no use for, but will shoot them up fo the cases), she would sell them all to me for $32 a flat. I gave her my business card and asked her to please call me if she got any more 16 gauge ammo in. Last July, she called me when she was making up her order for dove season. She told me that she could order 16 gauge ammo made by Federal, Remington or Winchester but she needed a minimum of five flats but they could be mixed. I called some other 16 gauge shooters I knew and we bought 2 flats of 1 ounce Winchester # 8's, two flats of Remington # 7 1/2's and two flats of Federal 7 1/2's. The price was $33 for the Winchester, $ 34 for the Remington and $ 35 for the Federals. She was also kind enough to tell me that anytime we needed ammo, if we could get a five flat order together that she would order it for me. She told me that the Sporting Good managers in the K-Mart stores should be willing to do this for 16 gauge shooters in other parts of the country, so if you have access to a K-Mart, it would be worth the time to go in and get to know the manager of the Sporting Goods section.
Just thought I'd let y'all know about this.

TMB

Thanks for the information. This is the Lubbock K-Mart? I think it is on the South Loop 289 someplace?

rayb

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:14 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Revdoc, try going into the store, getting the staff to follow you in a group prayer for a decent profitable season, and while doing so, slip in an indirect request for more and cheaper 16 ga. ammo. Can't hurt. Might work. But stay spry and ready to dodge the lightning bolts on the way to the car if the big guy gets offended. Laughing
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:38 pm  Reply with quote

16GG: One of my bird hunting/preacher buddies once pastored a Baptist church in Bentonville and had some disturbing stories about the Corporate culture there. Don't think I'll be wasting any prayer (and I'm not regarded that highly by the Diety since hanging with the likes of you so better not use any of my very limited answered prayer credit! Laughing)
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:54 pm  Reply with quote

Hey fella, don't blame me for your deteriorating status with BG. I'm having my own troubles staying one step ahead of the bolts he's been tossing my way as it is. Laughing Don't forget what happened to me the last time I fell off the wagon. If he gets too put out with me, Ole Godzilla Zits might finally catch up with me, spawn in tow. Then I'd be forced to move to AZ and start another new identity, maybe this time as a 16 ga. totin' Baptist in need of serious saving. Let me tell you, I'm light years ahead of any government witness protection program you could think of. Might even take the name of "Guy Gage." Hey, that has a snazzy ring to it. Whaddaya think? Laughing
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:16 pm  Reply with quote

We'd take you but afraid it might involve some SERIOUS hand laying-on! Laughing Laughing
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:56 pm  Reply with quote

The Wal-Mart in LaPorte, IN had quite a deal going today: The Remington tins of .22 cal. Golden Bullets, 300 cartridges in a decorated tin, had a Christmas-time list price of $9.82. Today at the LaPorte Wal-Mart I bought them on sale ---4 tins @ $4.00/tin. Let's see, if I wanted to shoot them and just keep the tins as "collectibles", that's 1200 shells for $16.96 incl. tax, or $.0141 per shot fired. If I bought these shells in their usual cardboard pack of 525 shells for $11.65 incl. tax, that's $.02219 per shot....so it looks like that wasn't a bad deal....sorry, can't help it, it's the banker in me.....ANYway, I finally found something good to say about our buddies from Bentonville....

MGF
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:00 pm  Reply with quote

I think it's purely a Midwestern chain, but if you've got a Meijer near you, check them out. They've got the Super X -- only in #6 and #8, though, if memory serves me correctly -- for $4.49 a box.
bigric
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:57 am  Reply with quote

My local Walmart always has 16 ga in stock in Winchester for something like $4.89 a box. However, I go to Academy instead and can get Remington for $4.27 or Federal for $4.47; they usually have a few cases of each and I try to buy some often enough to make them keep stocking it. They also just got some Remington Express in 16 ga for about $9/box.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:52 pm  Reply with quote

revdocdrew wrote:
We'd take you but afraid it might involve some SERIOUS hand laying-on! Laughing Laughing

I don't mind the laying on of hands part. It's the laying on of baseball bats and broom handles that makes me a might edgy. Laughing

By the way, the last time I was baptised in the New River back in Grayson County, VA., many years ago, the preacher kept forcing my head back under and quoting more passages from the good book. It was a good thing for me I was a tad more long winded than him. I'll always wonder if it had anything to do with the way his oldest daugter kept smiling at me and nodding her head towards the choir loft. I think she had her cap set on performing a duet with me. I'd been told she could hit a few high notes that weren't in the hymnal.Wink