16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Funeral guns and other rambelings
hunshatt
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:06 am  Reply with quote

So after following the thread on the funeral guns on the ssb page, and reading the article in the mag(ssb), here's my question. I have in my safe a Lc field in 16, that I have no real attachment to. Bought it off a friend for short money cause he was broke. The case color is wore from neglect, as is the finish of the wood. the screws are buggered. Why wouldn't I want to send it out for restock, and have the action blued, perhaps have the Lc on the reciver done in gold. should be out for 2500ish I'd think. Now I know I'd never see the cash back, but it's not that much(I've made way worse investments in the market, and boats).. so I guess I've answered my own question. What kinda of wood?? American Walnut ??, claro??. Everything else I have is straight grip so it will get one of those. Probably not screw in chokes, stay fixed.

Tim

Oh no, I forgot about the other article. 16 bore is dead, I must either get rid of the 4 other 16's or buy a reloader.
The funny thing about the bash the 16 article, in my opinion is the last 2 paragraphs(which I don't have in front of me so if I get it wrong sorry)

1st they are making 12's and 20's just as lite NOW, cause of modern metalurgy(sp?), so you don't HAVE to pick a 16. what a joke, euoropian game guns have allways been lite, my 16 hammer from 1898 is 5 3/4lbs, and I'm sure you can go on any auction site and see similar weights for 12's.Plus I allways thought 20 were lite right out of the box(unless it was a ruger, or Hugla)

Second he says something about gauge selection is a matter of choice, and you don't have to pick a 16 just for weight savings or some such crap. I picked a 16 cause I like them, and not everyone and thier brother has one.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:23 am  Reply with quote

As I've told some other guys: Follow your heart brother (boy, has that worthless piece of advice gotten ME in big trouble Rolling Eyes)
There is a re-done 16g LC at the KCK Cabelas #365463 for $2700.
Then again you could get a VERY nice Sterlingworth for $2500! Very Happy
hunshatt
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:37 am  Reply with quote

Rev, now you want me to down grade my colection with one of THOSE??
I'll pm you on the Ks thing this after noon.
thudddd
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:10 am  Reply with quote

We all need a hunting in the rain-falling in the creek-dog stepped on my gun-holding the top 'bob-ware' wire down bird gun. Sounds like the LC is about perfect. You sure don't want to actually HUNT with one of those fancy german guns-might get a scratch on the stock or something!?! Wink (Just do what you need to do so it fits and points like the Merkel)
There-just saved you $2500. That oughta help convince your wife you 'NEED' to go to Montezuma.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:47 am  Reply with quote

Tell you what. I'll take that old American plowhorse clunker piece of doo-doo Smitty off your hands. That will save you even more money, and it won't be hanging around the gun cabinet embarrassing those high-falutin' kraut grinders you've got in there Laughing !

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
hunshatt
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:52 am  Reply with quote

WIFE?????, don't tell the g-friend about her, or visa versa.
Fancy german gun wasn't much more than that 2500 clunker your trying to get me to "invest" in.
and why does ever post with you, degenerate into a my clunker Sw is better than your citori, a-5 or phesent killin laser beam Merkel??? LOL and I forgot the your stupid lab is better than my squrial pointing setter.
After rereading this, I'm rethinking the Ks thing to the positive, it would be a time. Just need to figure out the rest of the trip.
thuddd
hunshatt
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:17 am  Reply with quote

Fin, I've got a couple of Sw's my g-friend is using to as posts to keep her tomato's from falling over, haven't been in the ground for more than a year or so. I could be convinced to part with one of those. But before Rev gets all defensive, they are 12's
thudddddd
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:29 am  Reply with quote

SQUIRREL POINTING SETTERS Shocked Actually had two setters that loved to point squirrels when things in the field got boring. Another one was partial to field mice. BUT THEM SETTER DOGS SURE R PURTY ON POINT Laughing (especially looking up into a tree) and never had one puke up a long dead carp (on the drive home) or roll in cow pie like my buddy's lab!
No squirrels in Phoenix but my new pup likes pointing the 'air rats' we run into on our morning jog-yet to show any interest in all the Gambel's quail however Confused
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:33 am  Reply with quote

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the "ssb" page?

Matt
hunshatt
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:12 am  Reply with quote

Shootingsportsman.com

You want to see some real hot under the collar guys, look at the what happened thread(dog cat), or the pointing lab one(dog cat) . Even the gun cat gets heated(20ga for dove). These guys get WAYYYYYY wound up, and at people they havent even met. Seems like most of the guys on this board are just out for fun, well xcept that Tjc guy.
Thuddd
Rev, i'm thinking if Beau puked up carp(don't even think we have those up here) or rolled in cow pies(I know we don't have those in Ma, as Fat teddy out lawed them all), the g-friend wouldn't let either of us in the house. BTW it's tuff to tell the difference, at least for a Norther boy, between air rats and dove as they dive the fields. See we don't have a season for them so the only practice I get is at a weekend thing I do wtih some friends in Tx.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:08 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Thuddd: Be sure I tell you the story out in Montezuma about by doc buddy's trip, in his stinkin' hunting clothes, to the ritzy neighborhood store to buy Massengil disposable baking soda douche to get the skunk squirt off his lab...and the turkey burger meatball quail head puke story...and the toad in the throat story...and the tried to wash the S. Dakota gumbo off the Golden in the motel shower and the dog got loose, jumped on the bed, and shook story...and the thought I'd try some new dog food for the hunting trip pooped in the dog box INSIDE the suburban all night story...and the ate the whole mole story...and the retrieved the over-limit ducks they threw out the back of the truck when they saw the game warden story.......
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:10 pm  Reply with quote

revdoc,

I may have to show up in KS just to hear those stories!
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:52 am  Reply with quote

OK 16ers: Ol' hunshatt's been over on the SS BB Forum seeking a second opinion as to what to do with his LC. Most of these high rollers enthusiastically support turning his gun into a 'hunshatt M-21 Grade IV Special' They probably figure he'll have less money to compete with them next time a nice Sterlingworth becomes available Wink
COME BACK FROM THE DARK SIDE THUDDD Laughing Laughing
hunshatt
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:38 am  Reply with quote

yea, I admit it. Just wanted to see if those guys had any better advice than turn it into a M21, shees. they didn't.. If I was going to do that (turn it into a m21)I'd plant in the garden, next to the 12ga worlingworths. then the g-friend could have runners for the greenbeans.
Much as it pains me to say this, the worlingworth barker(Rev) has had the best input.