16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Beretta 16 Ga. SXS w/Single Trigger?
timberdoodler3
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:45 pm  Reply with quote

Can anyone please tell me what models and model years Beretta made a 16 GA. SXS with SINGLE Selective Trigger? I believe they made a 409 w/Double Triggers but the 470 Silver Hawk Featherweight was made with either a sing or double trigger? Were there other models?
Thanks!
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:40 pm  Reply with quote

You may find there is no 16ga made with a single selective trigger. The 409, GR2, 426, and 424 all had double or single non-selective triggers. As of yet I do not posess or have I seen a selective trigger on a 16ga. This doesn't mean that Beretta has not made one just I have not run into one yet. The 7 16ga SxS Berettas I have span the years from 1933 to 1972 and so far no selective triggers.
Best,
Ron
timberdoodler3
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:16 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for your response, Ron. Of the models you've listed, which have the single non-selective triggers? Single-Selective is not as important to me, but I do want a gun with a single trigger. Could you possibly bear the pain of parting with one so that a wannabe could become a member of the club? Or could you give me a few tips on where I might find one?
Thanks for your help!

Last edited by timberdoodler3 on Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:13 pm  Reply with quote

The only single trigger I have seen recently is on Champlin Arms sight. I have liquidated all my single trigger guns and have only double trigger for birds. I normally use single trigger for target shooting in 16ga or 12ga. There is a Charles Daley SxS which was made by Beretta and they show up once in a while on gunbroker.
Best,
Ron
timberdoodler3
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:07 pm  Reply with quote

Ron: I wish I'd seen the Beretta posting on Champlin's site. Hey, I read and got a chuckle out of the banter that you had going back and forth re: single vs double trigger guns. I have to agree with Mr. McQuail. A single trigger is easier (and safer) for those of us with larger hands or when wearing gloves in cold weather. I have a Griff as my hunting companion. Last Sat. we took a nice bag of pheasant and chukar. I'm looking forward to opening day next week for wild birds.
Hunt 'em up!
Paul.
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:06 pm  Reply with quote

My standing rule is all trigger configurations are ok as long as the dog doesn't complain. Wink
Best,
Ron
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:57 am  Reply with quote

Spoken like a wise and true diplomat. I'll have to remember this one Ron. Perfect. Very Happy
Spike McQuail
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:51 pm  Reply with quote

I appreciate your support timberdoodler, but I can't agree with your choice of a gun with a non-selective trigger. I consider selecting which choke to fire first one of the principal reasons for using a double gun, but that's just me. I also find that 90% of the time I fire the more open barrel first when given a choice so I know you would not go wrong buying the Beretta which is a fine gun. To each his own.

I prefer the selectors on the side of the trigger because I learned to shoot SKB and Winchester model 21 double guns so I am accustomed to that configuration. I also think the selector button on the side of the trigger has a more positive feel than selectors that are integral with the safety or placed in front of the trigger.

Unfortunately, I find there are few choices in 16 gauge double guns with single selective triggers. I own an AYA Matador II (SxS) in which a previous owner graciously installed Precision choke tubes and a Valmet Lion O/U in which I had Mike Orlen install choke tubes. Both guns have single selective triggers with selector buttons on the side of the trigger and plenty of room between the trigger and guard for large or gloved hands. The Fausti Real 16 (O/U) has a single selective trigger *switch" in front of trigger and the 16 gauge CZ Ringneck and Spanish made BSA "Classic" have selectors built into the safeties. There is also the 16 gauge Winchester model 21 with a button selector on the side of the trigger (wish I could afford one). There are also occasionally LC Smith, AH Fox or other American or European 16 gauge SxS on the market that have single triggers special ordered or retrofitted but I have never handled one and couldn't say if they are selective or how the selectors work.
timberdoodler3
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:17 pm  Reply with quote

I'd love to find a 16 ga. sxs Beretta with a w/single-selective trigger, and am still trying to confirm that they made one. I read an article on the web by Chuck Hawks which indicates that Beretta did make a few, but not many. I currently have 2 Beretta sxs for upland hunting... a 20 ga. 626E and a 12 ga. 627EL. Both have single-selective triggers and IC/M chokes. I love them both. When I was a kid I used a 20 ga Ithaca Model 100. Again, with single-selective trigger and Loved that little gun on Woodcock. Did Ithaca-SKB make a 16ga. sxs w/single-selective trigger? If so, perhaps that's the way I should go. We're in the same position with regard to the cost of the Winchester 21.
Have a good weekend and Hunt 'em up!
Paul.
timberdoodler3
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:26 pm  Reply with quote

I have to correct myself. Beretta did make a few 16 sxs with single triggers but not selective. Most were with double triggers. Have you had any trouble with your AYA? Last Fall I shot sporting clays with a friend who had an AYA 16 sxs who had trouble with the firing pin just dimpling the primer but not enough to set it off. And I see that SKB never made a 16 sxs.
XVI'er
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:51 pm  Reply with quote

T-doodle, Postoak owns a 16 bore 470 Silverhawk with single non-selective trigger. I have never seen one with single selective trigger.
Reasearcher can probably answer this one. Laughing

postoak
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:17 pm  Reply with quote

I have a 16 Ga. Beretta model 409 Silverhawk with a single non-selective trigger. I have been thinking about selling it. Let me know if your are interested in it.
Spike McQuail
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:59 pm  Reply with quote

I have had internittent failures to fire (FTF) in my 16 gauge AYA and Valmet shooting 1oz Remington Game loads (RGL), but no problems with any other shells or reloads in the RGL hulls. There is a more complete discussion of this issue in other threads on this forum, but it seems that some lots of RGLs either have "hard" primers or "dished" shell bases or both which seem to produce FTFs for many of this forum's members in many makes of double guns.

The firing pins in my AYA do not apply as much force to a primer as the Valmet so the AYA does fail to fire RGLs more often than the Valmet, but the Valmet also has intermittent FTFs with RGL shells and both the AYA and the Valmet have functioned flawlessly with RGL reloads and all other factory shells. Your friend might want to try different brands of shells in his AYA before he tries to do any work or trades it. I mentioned on an earlier thread that I probably traded a perfectly good Marlin 90 due to intermittent FTF which in retrospect may have been due to the RGLs I was using at the time.

Sadly SKB never made a 16 gauge.
timberdoodler3
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:51 am  Reply with quote

Poastoak: Yes, I am interested. I sent you an email.
Thanks.

Spike, Thanks for the information re: the experience with your AYA. I'll pass that along to my friend.
Have a great weekend everyone.
postoak
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:22 am  Reply with quote

Very good talking with you timberdoodle !