16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Opinions Needed - Off Topic
Foursquare
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:43 am  Reply with quote

I'd appreciate any experience/opinion on the Franchi M48 in 28 ga.
The local gun 'n bullet emporium has one that I've been slowly falling in love with over the last 6 months.
I'm very familiar with John Browning's long recoil system in the A-5, but concerned about the Franchi's AL receiver. Anything else I should be aware of?
Thanks
Pete
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:24 pm  Reply with quote

A buddy had one as his quail gun and loved it but recoil, even with 3/4 oz. loads, limited his ability to do alot of low-gun skeet pre-season work.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:20 pm  Reply with quote

Too light for anything but carrying all day and shooting VERY little.I would lean toward a lightweight Citori
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:41 pm  Reply with quote

I had a friend who I used to hunt with until he passed away. He had both an AL-48 28Ga. and a 20 too. He swore by them...but never at them. Wink He wasn't bad with either and rarely missed a bird. i felt the 28 was a tad whippy but never let on. Each to his own.
brdhnt
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:14 pm  Reply with quote

Pete,
I have had one for about eight years now and I love mine. However all of the comments so far have been true. It is so lightweight (5 1/2 pounds) that it carries great for days of chasing desert quail or chukars. When birds do flush though, I have to concentrate and make sure and swing through and not stop the swing with the lightweight barrel. A couple of rounds of skeet pre season usually give me enough "muscle memory' with the gun to hit though. I use Fiocchi high velocity 7 1/2's for all of my quail hunting and go to a handload with 3/4 ounce of # 7's at 1250 FPS for chukars or grouse.

Mine has been from Arizona to Minnesota and has taken a lot of birds. By the way, I don't know what Franchi uses to finish their alloy receiver, but it has stood up better than any others I have seen.

If you're not using a 16 a 28 is a good second choice. There's a picture of my Al-48 28 gauge with some desert quail on page 29 of the February 2006 issue of Shotgun Sports Magazine ( and pictures of 16 gauges on the next pages).

Enjoy!

TMB
________
Tv Discussion