16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Remington 1100 newer vs older models
gwpw16
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:00 am  Reply with quote

I have seen some newer 16 gauge Model 1100 on Gun Broker.com lately. They have the screw in chokes and raised ribs. Are these guns proportioned as a true 16 gauge? Or are they 12 gauge frames with a 16 gauge barrel? What is the weight of these 16 gauge guns compared to the 12 gauge guns? I like semi-auto 16 gauge shotguns and I am wondering if this newer Model 1100 is of the same class as the older versions of the 1100.
Scolari
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:42 pm  Reply with quote

I like autos too but I'm not sure the newer 1100 is for you. A friend of mine had an older 1100 26 inch bbl and it felt very ballanced. That made me think that I should buy one of the newer ones. Now there are two types of newer 1100's. There is the nice blue model with a "contoured" barrel and there is the cheaper one with a synthetic stock and only came in 28 inch barrel. I have not seen one of the better "classic" ones. i bought the cheap one. I remember picking up the gun and thinking they must have included a few boxes of shells with the gun because it was so heavy. There were no extra shells in the box, just the gun. I swear that thing must have weighed at least eight pounds. i measured the barrel and it was .080 inch larger than my 16 ga Ithaca. It looked like a gas pipe. They simply took a 12 ga barrel and drilled a 16 gauge hole in it. The only good thing I can say about the gun is it had no recoil. I could not believe that Remington could do such a thing. It should have been called the 1100 12/16. I finally was able to sell it, but at a loss.
ckirk
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:36 pm  Reply with quote

Scolari,

That is unfortunate to hear. I purchased my first Remington 1100 this year. It is a 12 ga. (oops) and it is an older gun (circa 1980). It seems well made and I like shooting the 1100. So, I have considered purchasing a 16 ga. 1100. It seems that all 16 ga. 1100 are not created equal.

gwpw16,

Thanks for posting your question. I have a follow up question. In the opinion of the members here, which vintage of Remington 1100 is the most desirable?

rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:54 pm  Reply with quote

I have a 1978 vintage Remington 1100 in 16 Gauge 28" barrel. It weighs in at 7 lbs. 12 oz.. I did have Simmons put a rib on it and I added a KickEez recoil pad, so I probably added 3 oz. or so to the gun.

All 16 Gauge 1100's were built on 12 Gauge frames, so the elitists shun them. I haven't met too many people that can't just pickup a 12 ga. 1100 and not shoot it fairly well. The 16 Gauge is no different except that the recoil is a bit less.

My gun is pretty well modified with the exception of being backbored. Choke tubes, ported, rib, long forcing cone, Tru-glo sight, Timney trigger, action completely hand deburred and slicked up, KickEez pad and it was fitted to me by a professional.

I haven't held a new one, but mine is pretty well between the hands, maybe a touch muzzle heavy. My gun reliably handles 7/8 to 1 1/4oz. loads. and I am talking ALL the time, this gun never hiccups. I did not touch the gas ports. I have hunted with it since 1993, almost exclusively, and use it for a fair amount of skeet and Sporting Clays. Has about 30,000 rounds thru it.

I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Last edited by rerundogchaser37 on Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:54 pm  Reply with quote

They are 16 ga guns built on an 1100 12 ga frame. I have 2(wood and synthetic) of them and both of them have shot flawlessly for me. I use the synthetic 1100 for alot of the waterfowl hunting (short range) I do. If your a purist than look elsewhere for your 16 ga this isn't it. However using steel and hevishot in these guns is a real joy and they handle it quite well. I can also push the limit with my reloads with these guns and know they are modern guns capable of handling 11,000 psi loads....I wouldn"t do this with any of the older thin barreled 16 ga guns I have...and yes I do seperate my loads out so as to avoid confusion..!!!
putz463
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:39 am  Reply with quote

[quote="ckirk"]
Thanks for posting your question. I have a follow up question. In the opinion of the members here, which vintage of Remington 1100 is the most desirable?[/quote]

IMHO, I'm partial to any of the ones that shoot shotgun shells Very Happy never met a Rem semi-auto I didn't like.....a 3 inertia and 3 gas op's...currently.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:56 am  Reply with quote

I several 12 ga 1100 models with VR barrels, plus several accessory barrels. Some have Rem Chokes. The rest have Colonial chokes installed by Mike Orlen. 12 gauge 1100 autos are well balanced, weigh right around 7.8 pounds which is fine for a 12, and are a joy to shoot.

I also own two LT-20 small frame 1100 models. They weigh right at 7 pounds and are also a joy to shoot. Love 'em. Don't shoot 'em much now. Won't sell them either.

I've also picked up more than one of the new 16 ga 1100s with VR, Rem Choke barrels. Heavy? You bet. They are heavier than the 12 ga guns by what feels like a 1/2 pound or so. Too bad Remington does not want to build a 16 on the LT-20 frame. That would be one sweet gun IMO. Ain't gonna happen.

Maybe some of you remember the old Burger King commercial with the old lady who yells, "Where's the beef!!!" Well, I think I know where it all ended up. Wink
mike103
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:33 pm  Reply with quote

I went on a newer Remington 16 gauge gun spree two years ago. I bought the classic field 1100 16 gauge with a 26" barrel, Wingmaster 16 gauge 26" barrel and a Express 16 gauge with a 28" barrel.

The good news is that I bought all three NIB very cheap in three different deals on gunbroker and gunsamerica. All three guns were brand new and the Wingmaster and Classic Field have very good wood.

The bad news that the guns are front heavy but they do swing smooth. I don't carry a gun very far in the field and I attend a lot of tower shoots so weight is not a big issue. If I shoot birds over dogs I use a 28 or 410 anyway.

I posted this in another thread:

Ok I borrowed a fishing scale from a friend. Here are some results:

1100 16 gauge classic field 26" barrel - 7 lbs 10 oz

1100 12 gauge sporting 28" barrel - 8 lbs even

1100 20 gauge sporting 28" barrel - 7 lbs 3 oz

1100 28 gauge sporting 27" barrel - 7 lbs even

1100 .410 bore sporting 27" barrel - 7 lbs 2 oz

So it's 6 oz's lighter than the sporting 12 but the sporting 12 is 2" longer.
XVI'er
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:13 pm  Reply with quote

My first shotgun that I actually paid money for was a 1968 1100 16bore. I didn't have the prejudices about weight and balance that I do now. I would recommend the earlier guns to anyone wanting an all purpose auto in 16bore. Sure it's heavier than 7#-closer to 8. I shot quail,doves, squirrels,ducks, and geese with that gun, Once you got it swinging, it was pure death on crossing shots.

Don't get the later models with the "Light Contour" barrels. I shot a vent rib 28" barrel. You could get a 26"vent rib bbl, but they were pretty scarce.The earlier guns had better finish and were lighter in weight than the last 16's Remington sold.

timberdoodler3
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:57 pm  Reply with quote

I have 3 left-handed Remington 1100's in the "other" gages, and have used them for duck hunting. Does anyone know if Remington made the older 1100's in a left-handed 16 gage?
Thanks.
timberdoodler3
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:48 pm  Reply with quote

Ok. I'll answer my own question. According to Blue Book of Gun Values Remington did not make the 16 ga. 1100 in left hand.
manofthewoods
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:38 am  Reply with quote

I picked up from pawn shops, etc. 3 1100's over the years.

2 of them were built in '64. Serial numbers only 260 apart. The third was built in '67. All w/VR barrels. 1 full choke 28", 1 mod choke 26", 1 IC choke 26" plus an extra "new style" 28" full barrel and an extra "new style" 28" mod barrel.

The wood on these guns is nothing special w/pressed checkering. Typical Remington for that era.

I love these guns. I don't use 'em much now that I have Citori's to shoot, but realistically I might be better off. That 26" mod is just awesome on roosters. I'd go full in the last few weeks of the season w/snow on the ground and use the IC early season.

I'm not a good enough shot to notice a few ounces, and, for now, I'm in good enough shape to be able to carry that weight all day - day after day.

Can't speak to the new ones, but, thick barrels would dissuade me from seriously considering one.

Nearly a grand$$$ for a old 1100 might be worth it if it's brand new but only for an old model - but it'd have to be a vent-rib. I say this because compared to the cost of a new pump - where else are you gonna get an auto? Amortize the difference in cost across the many days in the field and that's like a half a gallon of gas each trip for... like two seasons!

Um...

I love pumps too - have 3 870's similarly configured plus '37's too. But a semi-auto 16 is indeed unique.

Best of luck with your search. Enjoy the hunt for your desired gun, I always anticipate the good times to come in the field.

keith