16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  weekend shoot/tjc look at what you missed
hunshatt
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:23 pm  Reply with quote

thats at work, not on this page, now the ssb page and the PL thread, they might need me to babysit
TJC
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:15 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds good. Let me know. Like I said, I'm off Friday, Sat and Sun. With Sun being a no go. Even if you come down Late Fri and we do Sat hunt.

The "German pincers" are ready to rock and roll. I had them out last night running and they are full of themselves.

Also, got an email back from Ohio ref the Merkel .410. I asked about pistol grip as well as double triggers. No problem but they don't stock them and it would take approx 6 months to get on special order. But no extra cost involved to order. If I ordered it, I could also get F/F on the chokes which I think I would want. IF, they have a .410 with pistol grip and choked F/F it wouldn't matter about double triggers as either barrel would be the same as the other. My guess though is that they don't ship them F/F. The one they have on Gunbroker is I believe M/F or IC/F. M/F wouldn't be too bad but I think given the limited amount of shot etc I would want the F/F.

Any ideas or suggestions on that? I would value the imput from anyone.

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:59 pm  Reply with quote

TJC: Just my personal experience but when I was younger, filled with myself and my bird shooting, I had a .410 SxS. Not a Merkel, but a decent gun choked M/F. I shot a lot of low gun skeet with it and could usually hit 22- 23. Tried to make it my quail gun using 7 and 1/2s. Hunted hard with it for a season and gave up in disgust with myself because I KNEW I had hit birds that I was losing despite very good dogs. Couldn't live with my braggadocio, knowing I was leaving those birds, that gave me such pleasure and deserved much better, to die in the field.
If you want a 'show off' gun for preserves, that's fun and OK, but I'd still go with a 28. Just my thoughts brother and hope you take them in the right way.

Last edited by revdocdrew on Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total
TJC
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:35 pm  Reply with quote

rev,
I appreciate all the info I can get. I was just checking out the 28 ga ammo and all that good stuff. I believe the .410 might be a bit light even over "The Girls" holding point. The 28 would probably do me better.
The Merkel dealer has the 28's at the same price as the .410's so that's a nonissue. The 28 is also about a lb lighter than my 47E although contrary to hunshatt's idea that I'm getting too old to carry my 16 ga around, I don't really need the lighter gun.

Do you think the heavier 28 ga ammo is too close to the 16 ga ammo to make a difference? In other words, why?

TJC
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:42 pm  Reply with quote

Winchester lists 1 oz of #6's in the 28 at 1205 and 1 oz of #6's in the 16 at 1165 FPS.
Pretty close all around. The advantages I guess would be that the 28 would be a lighter gun for carrying. Downside is that for about the same payload, the 28's cost about 2.5X more than the 16 and are probably harder to find without accomplishing anything more.

What to do Question Question Confused

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:48 pm  Reply with quote

Excellent question and the only 'why?' answer is because it's fun and you want to. None of us NEED anything but a well balanced less than 6 and 1/2 pound 16g shooting from 7/8 to 1 and 1/8 oz loads for any kind of upland hunting. Sounds to me like you're very happy, and shooting very well, with your 16g Merkel-might try out somebody else's light .410 or 28g SxS before making a decision. Then again, listen to your heart brother, just listen to your heart (Suspect the Diety is going to have a little chat with me some day about getting people in trouble with that piece of worthless advice Rolling Eyes)

Last edited by revdocdrew on Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total
hunshatt
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:11 am  Reply with quote

I'm still thinking 28 tube set from briely 10oz total add, or what I'm going to do with the smith funeral gun. Thin wall chokes, in full full(as well as the others ) then a 16 loader to reload all teh 2 1/2 cases I have. And load them lite 5/8 and 3/4. Should make a wicked cool quail gun.
I'm pretty sure the RBL is going to be up for sale, sooner than later.

Tj, just build something, skip the 28. I'll carry the 6lbs clunker for you. When the girls lock up, I'll wait till you get there, then hand you the gun, and staedy the forearm for you.
TJC
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:17 am  Reply with quote

hunshatt wrote:

Tj, just build something, skip the 28. I'll carry the 6lbs clunker for you. When the girls lock up, I'll wait till you get there, then hand you the gun, and staedy the forearm for you.

Wow, so early in the AM to be picking on this Senior Citizen that can't carry 6+ lbs, can't walk, etc.
I think I'm going to use my newly activated AARP membership to file a complaint. This is definately age discrimination. Wink
What am I going to have to put up with when I hit 60 in 10 more years? Or am I going to be pushing up flowers?

hunshatt
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:32 am  Reply with quote

hope not(pushing up flowers), who will I have to pick on?? REV?? he's to far away?? !6gg, he'd keep me in my place.
TJC
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:35 am  Reply with quote

I have to stay around long enough now to shoot this new 1620 that will be coming. Very Happy

Yea, another 16 ga.

hunshatt
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:15 am  Reply with quote

now tht you are getting one, you, Mike and I can be the trey amigo's.