16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Rem Express 1 1/8 oz. lead #4's for turkeys??
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:20 pm  Reply with quote

I have a really nice original full choke 16 ga. Model 12 that I have used on pheasants (and ducks with Bismuth loads). I want to hunt for a turkey this year---we have a good number of them around here. I'd be hunting from a blind or tree stand, and would limit my shots to 30-35 yards. I intend to pattern the 4's to see how/where they pattern. I see no reason why this load would not kill a gobbler with a well-placed head/neck shot, under the limitations mentioned above. I DO NOT plan to take 40-50 yard shots with this combination. Has anyone killed a turkey with a 16 ga. gun and the load mentioned? Thanks in advance for sharing any experience you have on this....

mdoerner
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:27 pm  Reply with quote

I've heard it's been done before with a 16 Ga SxS, but beond that I don't have any specifics. You should be fine.

Mike Doerner
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:52 pm  Reply with quote

Wolfchief-the only sure way to kill a turkey is to bead blast that 12,camo the wood,install a hi-viz system ,.port the barrel,install a Gracoil pad and shoot nothing smaller than #2 Hvi shot----HA Wink Wink Wink Wink I could feel you cringe from across the river Shocked Shocked Shocked Your'e set will work just fine--don't forget to tell the 12 ga boys what you used Wink Twisted Evil Very Happy
Tyler
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

Wolfchief;

Don't listen to all the hype that's currently out there on turkey hunting. You don't have to have a 3 1/2'' 12 ga. with a super full choke to kill one. My gun of choice in the fall is my '97 win. 16ga., mod. choke with 1 1/8 of 6's. It does the job just fine and has kept us in Thanksgiving turkeys for the last 28 years, and often supplied a few of my relatives, too. The largest turkey I've taken to date was a 22+lb'er that I shot with an L.C. Smith 16ga. using 1 1/8 of 6's in an old paper Remington shell. That was about 6 years ago in the spring season.
Knowing how your gun patterns and sticking to your range limitations, as well as having the skills to get close, is going to get you more birds than reading all the tripe thats being published in the magazines. Plus you'll get more of a sense of accomplishment from your outing.
Pattern your gun with 5's and 6's also, if you can. They will do the job within 30 yards, but 25 is better, providing your pattern is dense enough.
The largest wild turkey that I ever saw was shot by one of our old-time local experts with a 3'' magnum load of 7 1/2s, with a .410. He calls them to within 15 yards, never shoots if they're 20 yards or more. It's all range and pattern.
Tyler
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:58 am  Reply with quote

A 16ga will do the job, but per the above, I'd suggest 6's or 5's rather than 4's. Even with a tight choke, 1 1/8 oz 4's can be a bit thin when you're trying to put several pellets into a turkey's head/neck. You might check out the Federal 16ga "mags", 1 1/4 oz copper 6's. I've patterned that load in a couple guns, and not only do you have more pellets, but it shoots pretty tight too.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:18 am  Reply with quote

I've shot quite a few PA gobblers with the old super X 1 1/4 of 4's. The last few I have used the #5 load 1 1/8 nickel plated. The federal 1 1/4 of 4's is a good load also. The above loads all pattern really good and dense at 28 yards out of a 28" full choke Rem 1100. I prefer the #5's, best shot size for turkeys they hit harder than #6"s but there are more of them than #4's.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:17 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks everyone---I've got Lead 4's, Bismuth 4's and lead 5's and 6's. I'll go to the range this weekend and see which load the M-12 likes best.

Rem16
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:28 pm  Reply with quote

Wolf, I agree with Larry Brown, try the 5s or 6s. The load weight is fine, as long as u are using full choke inside 30yds or so like you said. Velocity shouldnt matter.

fowler
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:11 pm  Reply with quote

I have used the 16 with hi-brass 71/2 and Federal Copperplated mag 16 ga. 11/4 oz. of 6 is my favorite load for turkey. There about $17 a box of 25. Keep it at 35yds or less.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:12 pm  Reply with quote

I patterned the 1 1/8 oz. load of Remington Black Hull #4's last Saturday on a head-and-neck lifesize turkey target, at 30 yards. I fired 2 shots at 2 different targets and the average number of "fatal" hits were 7 hits. When I tried 6's, the average was 5 "fatal" hits.....it convinced me that I can use either load, but I shouldn't be shooting at over 30 yards. I have the discipline to do that. Seven hits in the head/neck should drop any turkey that walks, at 30 yards.