16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Choke Tube Finish
nossman
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:49 pm  Reply with quote

Anyone have any problems with Black Oxide finish vs. Stainless Steel?

I just ordered a Briley flush mount black oxide skeet tube, for my Wingmaster. Figuring the black oxide finish would be easily identifiable, compared to the stainless steel Remington chokes (IC, M, & F), that came with the gun.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:14 pm  Reply with quote

The finish is kinda personal thing-that's why they offer different choices.It has no bearing on the performance of the choke.I prefer a contrast in color Wink
nossman
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:51 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah, the color was a personal choice. A lot easier to ensure that your grabbing the skeet choke Wink
I was thinking about the durability of the finish. Started thinking about the possibility of the finish wearing off and promoting rust in the barrel. I take good care of my guns, breaking them down, inspecting, and cleaning them, after every outing (old habit). It's how I was taught as a kid and it was further ingrained, while in the Army. Even with a well maintained gun, rust is the enemy. Just curious if anyone has had any problems with the black oxide finsh wearing off.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:04 am  Reply with quote

noss, isn't the black oxide finish applied to stainless tubes? I don't think Briley makes carbon steel tubes but I might be wrong

However, I use a full coating of salt water resistant hi temp bearing grease on all my tubes. the stuff I use is a dark green. It is nice and thick which also helps keep the tube snug in the threads. It doesn't thicken up from the cold either.

I can't remember who makes it, because I got it from a buddy and filled up several plastic, snap cap film canisters with the stuff. It works great and stops rusting cold.

I also use it on the bearing surfaces of my hinge guns. it stays on regardless of how hot the gun or the weather gets. My trap doubles gun gets very hot during a registered summer trap shoot too.

I think its made by Pennzoil. Its terrific and its cheap. Mine was free. I like free. Laughing