16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  replacement forearm for 16 ga. citori feather
marshhawk
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:31 pm  Reply with quote

Does anyone know of anyone who has any replacement wood for 16 ga. citoris. A couple of years ago I bought a complete stock and forend for my long tang 16 at MGW,I've called them,no 16ga. wood . I now also have a 16 citori feather and would like to fit a tulip forend like the superlights have. I've done this on the long tang and like the feel.Thanks in advance , Marshhawk
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:30 am  Reply with quote

MH, you might be able to get a 20 ga. superlight forend for your feather. both are 131 series guns. The barrel channel will need to be carved, rasped, scraped, and sanded to fit the 16 ga barrel. A razor sharp wide and shallow radiused gouge, flat and rat tail wood rasps, and several sizes of wooden dowels to wrap sand paper around up to 7/8 inch diameter will help. you can also cut and grind a round headed flat steel barrel channel scraper to the proper size for final shaping of the channel. Any piece of 16th inch thick steel will work well. An old putty knife is ideal. Just leave the edges of the scraper square and sharp.

The good news is the small difference in outside dimensions between the new 20 Ivector plus barrels and the 16 ga guns. The 131 series 16 ga. forend iron will fit. You could use your existing 16 ga forend to cut plastic cross section template gauges for the critical dimensions of the channell. Any polyethylene sheet like coffee can or margerine tub lids will serve here. Then just go slow and careful. These gauges will also aid you in shaping and sizing the channel scraper so You can do a precise and professional job.
marshhawk
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:51 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
MH, you might be able to get a 20 ga. superlight forend for your feather. both are 131 series guns. The barrel channel will need to be carved, rasped, scraped, and sanded to fit the 16 ga barrel. A razor sharp wide and shallow radiused gouge, flat and rat tail wood rasps, and several sizes of wooden dowels to wrap sand paper around up to 7/8 inch diameter will help. you can also cut and grind a round headed flat steel barrel channel scraper to the proper size for final shaping of the channel. Any piece of 16th inch thick steel will work well. An old putty knife is ideal. Just leave the edges of the scraper square and sharp.

The good news is the small difference in outside dimensions between the new 20 Ivector plus barrels and the 16 ga guns. The 131 series 16 ga. forend iron will fit. You could use your existing 16 ga forend to cut plastic cross section template gauges for the critical dimensions of the channell. Any polyethylene sheet like coffee can or margerine tub lids will serve here. Then just go slow and careful. These gauges will also aid you in shaping and sizing the channel scraper so You can do a precise and professional job.
Scolari
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:23 am  Reply with quote

I just saw an advertisement for the Browning factory repair place in Arnold MO. There is another advertisent for another Browning repair place in Festus, MO. Both these advertisements are listed in the "Gun List"
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:55 am  Reply with quote

The problem here Sco is there is usually no 16 ga. forend wood ever available. Browning almost never keeps gauge specific parts for special order guns on hand.

To have a smith fit a 20 ga. forend to a 16 gun would be very expensive, even if you found one to do it. That is usually the venue of a stock maker. they don't work cheap either. Count on the project costing at least $350 and probably much more just for labor. Its a 7 to 10 hour job min because 90% will needs be by hand. The forend is going to cost probably $250 or so as it is from Browning, maybe more. I'll bet you could not have it done by a professional for less than a thousand total.

However, if someone has a bit of wood working skill and some common sense, he can usually do the job. Its not any more difficult than glass bedding a rifled action or fitting a barrel to a stock blank. It just takes time, patience, a minimum of hand tools, and a smart approach.