16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Anybody shoot a Beretta?
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:25 am  Reply with quote

Its almost comical how life throws some irony at you every once in a while. I was at the Marlboro gun show this last Saturday. I found and bought a 16 ga. Beretta "Silver Hawk" w/ 26" barrels, one non-selective trigger, and IC and Mod chokes for a giveaway price. I latched onto that puppy and never put it down until the agreed price had been struck and paid. I even had the gaul to ask for the guy's best cash price. He shaved it a bit. I almost crapped right there.

I shot a pair of 24'S on the club's skeet field on Sunday morning with it. The gun fits me just as well as the AyA Matty and my Citori's. I really love this little gun already. It was another "closet orphan." all varnished over with old oil, but no rust or dust, so it must have been at least cased. The breech face showed absolutely no sign of shell imprint or wear. There were virtually no signs of use, just the usual accumulation of gun safe damage an older, unused gun accumulates in the back of the storage rack.

Also, someone cut the stock and put a Packmeyer Premium trap pad on it that just has to go. I can install a nicely appointed English style pad and a bit of leather trim to hide the spacers I'm going to have to resort to. However, I should be able to rebate the sides of the pad so the leather fits nicely flush with the stock wood and the pad.

I really don't think the dealer understood what He had, because he is not usually noted as a guy to allow a bargain on his table. However, he is mostly a Browning and Winchester guy. Life never ceases to amaze me.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:16 am  Reply with quote

Now 16GG-you no doubt have done SOMETHING in your entire life to deserve a break from the Diety?!? Laughing Not going up in the choir loft with that preacher's daughter? Wink
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:48 am  Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for the scales to fall from my eyes, only to realize what I actually bought was a pair of old, rusted up Ivy Johnson single shots taped together to look like a double and silver painted to dupe the suckers. This is usually more my speed. Laughing

PS: To Hunshatt, now I'm ready to take up the challange these Whirlingstirth guys keep throwing down to us. I've finally got a regular SxS pheasant killing, grouse whacking, quail stomping, ripsnorting, lazer cannon SxS too--and its a real pretty Italian beauty too, kinda like Gina Lulapalooza, or a Sophia Lorawowwowwowwow. So lets go humble these Whirlingstirth yahoos for sure now. Laughing
hunshatt
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:03 am  Reply with quote

Sounds like a plan to me.
I'm tied up weekends till May, but if you watn to shoot after work 1 night let me know.
Thuddddddddddd
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:13 am  Reply with quote

May is good. I usually don't have enough time to get to a range after work before it gets too dark to shoot in April. Best wait until the days get a bit longer. I got to see them to break them. Wink

PPS: Its a good thing I found this nice Beretta SxS. I don't shoot it with quite the same degree of deadliness as my Citori pheasant smacking, grouse slaying, quail crushing atomic howiter, but I don't think we'll really need our "A" game. I don't want to shame them too badly the first time up. Ya gotta leave them a little hope. Wink
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:04 am  Reply with quote

Really hate to bring this up Thudddd BUT you could bring 16GG to Montezuma and we can ALL see what he can do with that Eye-tal-yun SxS. Shocked Then again, I suspect you'd kill him somewhere about Western Penn. and toss his carcass to the coyotes-but then you'd get to keep his guns Laughing Convince him to bring the Per-zinni-elis and it'd really be worth it!
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:33 am  Reply with quote

Geez, Rev, how about "Thou shalt not kill." Boy, I can sense the BG warming up his throwing arm right now. I think maybe you've just backslid your way into a zap in the butt for sure. Ouch!!. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Prehaps the only way out of this one is to take your most beloved SW, build an alter in the backyard, and make a burnt offering of atonement. I'd hate to think what might happen to you if you don't Sad
hunshatt
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:41 am  Reply with quote

Burnt offerings??? Idol worship?? not sure where this 16ga thread made the wrong turn. It would be better placed at the one Tjc post about all thaose weird sex things he's involved with
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:34 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:

I really don't think the dealer understood what He had, because he is not usually noted as a guy to allow a bargain on his table. However, he is mostly a Browning and Winchester guy. Life never ceases to amaze me.

16gg, you never cease to amaze me with the guns that you "stumble" across. Next time I am really looking for a particular gun I am going to arrange a trip to MA and shadow you for a weekend, and I should find it that way.

Impressed in Ky...

Brad
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:14 pm  Reply with quote

Brad, the awful truth is that "stumble" is exactly the right word on this one. It was pure luck. Once I fully realized just what I was holding in my hot little hands, and just what the guy was asking for it, I damned near fell over myself trying not to drop my teeth, not drop the gun, not drop the pen, not drop the check book, not drop one in my bloomers...etc.,etc. Laughing
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:52 pm  Reply with quote

Well, what ever it is, 16gg the gun gods like you... alot. I would have likely about choked on my gum trying to right that check fast. Too funny.

Anyway, I stumbled across one of the 16ga Beretta Silverhawks here in Lexington not to long ago at one of the gunshops that I shop in occasionally. Really nice gun, excellent condition, but the prices for the 16ga was about in line with what I have seen on GunsAmerica, $3200 (when you can find them), which is just a bit too rich for me for that gun right now. That's probably quite a bit more than you paid for it up in MA.

I wonder if it's just that the conditions are just right for a buyers market on used guns in the NorthEast as compared with the rest of the country? Interesting notion...

Brad
TJC
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:42 pm  Reply with quote

hunshatt wrote:
Burnt offerings??? Idol worship?? not sure where this 16ga thread made the wrong turn. It would be better placed at the one Tjc post about all thaose weird sex things he's involved with

Nothing wrong with those toys. Adds spice. Very Happy

wildweasel
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:19 pm  Reply with quote

I also have a Beretta 16 - 1955 model 410 sxs - double triggers, english stock, splinter forend.

I've used it at trap and sporting clays. My dad is the original owner. he bought it in Naples, Italy in the late 50s new for pheasant hunting over here. It's still in great shape. It keeps a nice tight pattern that makes clays disintigrate when you hit them right.

I would never part with it, not just for sentimental reasons but because it's quite a masterpiece of workmanship. It's really beautifully engraved and the wood is just perfect. It has no pad and the only thing I've ever needed to fix was an ejector. A real special gun. Kicks like a mule, though. After about 3 rounds of trap, I have a nice bruise on my cheek.
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:29 pm  Reply with quote

Wildweasel,
It sounds like you could name yours "Jenny". Wink
Best,
Ron
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:36 am  Reply with quote

I named mine "Nella", 'cause She'll please a fella. Laughing Anyway, mine also kicks like the wrath of god with hunting loads on a target range. I know I won't feel it when hunting though. I could shoot a howizter from the shoulder at a game bird and all I'd notice is the funny red spots and the ringing in my head. Pain would not be a factor. too much adreniline.

However, I did "roto-lap" the bore with #OOOO steel wool wrapped around a 20 ga bore brush on a cleaning rod chucked up in an electric drill and some polishing compound. It seemed to help lessen the recoil. I also noticed the hits got harder on the clays too. I did not work the choke area much though, just the forcing cone and the bore up to within an inch of the muzzle.

Try it. I think the chrome lined bores of my gun weren't really smooth. I will probably repeat the treatment every so often. The chrome will probably withstand this polishing as it is very tough stuff, much tougher than the steel wool. The polish is Semi-chrome.

Just don't over do it. a 1/2 minute in each barrel first time up should be about ok. After that, one pass up and down is fine. Don't wrap too much wool on the brush. It should easily squeeze past the forcing cones into the bore and slide up and down easily. don't get the barrels too warm either. If you can feel the barrel gettin warm in your hand, back off. That is enough.