16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  wads
springerable
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:40 pm  Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what is the best all around wad for 1 ounce and 11/8 ounce loads , and for tapered and staraight walled cases.
I have been loading with hodgon 6 and I think i am getting powder migration with my winchester wads as I have many misfires, and I think the migration problem may be the answer.
Does anyone think that it may be that I need a hotter primer as I am using cc209s. Could this be my problem? Thanks
Confused
huntNnut
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:54 pm  Reply with quote

Would be best if you gave us the exact components and powder and shot weights. Then someone can help you out.

springerable
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:38 pm  Reply with quote

thanks I will get the exact specs that i was loading . i thought that i would remember them but cant remember the exact grains and which cases i tried them on.
springerable
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:12 pm  Reply with quote

sorry it took me awhile to get back, its a cold nasty winter here in northern montana and my cows need looking after with a lot of snow to plow.

I am loading green fiochi polyformed cases with 27.5 grains of hogdon hs6 and 1 1/8 ounces of #5 lead and cci 209m primer with sp16 wad.
putz463
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:28 am  Reply with quote

Hello, don't know about the best all around wad, but, just measured the gas seal OD of one of the Rem wads and the ID of a new unfired Fiocchi hull and there is ~0.050" difference in the wrong direction, in a past post someone referred to this situation as the wad "rattling around in there like a BB in a boxcar" the SG16 wad fits in there nice and snug but wouldn't fully protect/contain a shot charge of 1-1 1/8oz.

Since messing w/cows and plowing should be a pretty close approximation of the movements a shell sees during a hunt, it seems to me that maybe a simple check for migration would be to put couple of your shells in your Carhartt's in the morning and cut them open at the end of the day.

A few folks around here use little pieces of clingy plastic food wrap under the gas seal to halt migration but I've never tried it. There has to be a wad that will fit your needs without all that fiddling around. I know the BP catalog lists the gas seal dimensions of most if not all their wads.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/16-gauge-wads/products/88/

I'm certain someone will chime in here with a wad that will do the job, good luck, Mike