16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Question for the A5 Sweet Sixteen knowledgeable guys........
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:33 pm  Reply with quote

I passed on a standard A5 awhile back to wait for a better condition Sweet Sixteen. Now that I'm looking around, realized I have no idea what a good price would be. What is a fair price for say a 98% or so Sweet Sixteen? I would prefer chokes, but will go for an older Belgium gun if the condition is right. I'm not in a rush and will wait for the right gun. I know some of you guys own or collect these. Thanks.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:25 am  Reply with quote

Birdswatter: A friend of mine and I attended a small gun show about a year ago, and he saw a Belgium-made Sweet 16 in 26" configuration with vent rib and fixed IC choke. In deference to privacy, I stepped away as he did the dealing, but he told me later he paid $1,000. The gun was all original and at least 98%. He figures it was made in the very early 1970's.

TJC
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:01 am  Reply with quote

Bs,
I know where there is a real nice Sweet Sixteen with 26 or 28" barrel, Belgian made, Mod choked but they want too much in my opinion. The store has it for sale for $1495. I had it offered for $1300. Still too much as far as I'm concerned and apparently everyone else since it is there after 4 months. LOL
I think the $1000 range is about right for what you are looking for.

Foursquare
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:45 pm  Reply with quote

There are a LOT of variables that can effect pricing of Sweet 16s.
Starting with a base model of say, Belgium, flat knob, plain barrel, all origianl at 90 -95% you're looking at $900- 1000 these days. The FK belgians were made '67-"76, then production moved to Japan.

For round knob, add 10%
For vent rib, add 15-25%
For after mkt pad, deduct 25%

There is also a premium for guns that date from about '54-'63 or so. Whether true or not, the workmanship on guns from this period is considered superior to other post war production.
Then you get into the minutiae of chokes, barrel length, wood color etc, ad nauseum. You know how anal serious collectors of anything can be! Rolling Eyes

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Pete