16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Which 16 gauge guns ARE built on 16ga frames???
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:00 pm  Reply with quote

bustingclays: We had a decent hunt. I'm going to tell the whole story in another "An Indiana Story" chapter tomorrow, but I'm so excited about this 16 ga. Citori I wanted to reply to your post tonight.

I think I have found an excellent 16 gauge field gun in the 26" Lightning I bought Friday. I only fired two shots today--and each of them brought down a rooster; dropped both birds stone dead. These were the first two shots I have fired with the gun. It fits like a glove. My son has a 12 ga. Citori he uses; it has a 26" barrel also but this gun is much lighter and easier to carry. It points very well ! I had originally thought I would want a 28" barrel, but these 16 ga. Citoris are so hard to find that when I saw this one, I just went ahead. Now I'm looking for skeet chokes for it. And yes, I certainly did offer it to my son for use---but he stuck with his 2o ga. and, sadly, missed several shots.....

KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:14 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:

KyB, Most definately. The 16 ga. Citori balances marginally better than any other Citori I've ever handled, and handles a bit more crisply too. Although I can't say the small frame guns are bad either. I really love my little Superlight .410. Its my all time favorite recreational low gun skeet gun. However, for upland hunting, the 16 outshines the 20 by a bit, especially the new overbored 20 guns on all counts.

Remington replied that even though they had no immediate plans to make an LT-16, it was requests like mine that inform them of the desires of the gun buying community. They did not say it was impossible or that they never would.

I intend to periodically keep raising the issue with them. If anyone of you out there would want one too, then drop them a line, and do it every so often. If they hear it enough, who knows what might come of it. We do stand a better chance domestically than with an off-shore maker as far as influence would count in getting a light frame 16 auto.

Thanks for the info 16gauge guy. I am definitely going to handle a Citori 16ga when I get the chance (if I can ever find one). I agree with you about the 686 handling in the 12ga vs the Citori, although to be fair, my gun shop only had a Citori with a longer LOP and 30" barrells and I specifically wanted the 28 or 26" barrells that the 686 had... plus it just fit, if you know what I mean.

Not a bad reply from Remington. I will have to drop them a line myself. Although I don't know if I completely agree with you that we would have a better chance with the American companies vs the International companies as to who might introduce the next new 16 gauge.

For example, Franchi has long aimed their very light, fast handling guns at the upland game market, so I could very easily see them making an AL-48 or a "716" or something similar. Also, for what it is worth (probably not much here) but Stoeger (owned by Beretta) DID just come out with a new 16 gauge.

KyBrad.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:10 am  Reply with quote

The problem with imports are the importers and not the manufacturers. Miroku made the 16 ga. O/U for their European market before Browning offered it here. Browning is after all, an importer and not a manufacturer. It makes none of its guns. However, It does offer better service and stands behind its guns better than any other gun importer in this country including Beretta. I understand that Beretta also makes a 16 ga gun for the European market, at least a n SxS. Beretta of America will not offer it here. They are an Importer and not the Manufacturer. They just licence the name and have no other ties to the Italian firm. (Its not the same set up as their supposedly American made military 9mm semi auto handgun production. Its a different division set up to meet political and military demands.)

You have to convince these importers to get it done. Remington, on the other hand, is a dominant factor in the American market. They could afford to produce a small framed 16 easier and cheaper than an import house, especially since they already make a suitable vehicle for the gun. However, even they have entered the importer market. I would not be surprized to see them go entirely offshore within the next decade. So will Winchester.
Paul Dwight
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:26 am  Reply with quote

Of all the Remington autoloaders and pumps I have always favored the Special Fields. These guns with their English gripped stocks, shortened forearms, cut checkering, and short barrels handle well for me and look classy! I own an 1100 12 gauge Special Field and a 20 gauge Special Field. I would love to see Remington build a new 11-87 or 1100 16 gauge Special Field.

Paul Dwight
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:36 am  Reply with quote

I agree, as long as it is on the LT frame and not the 12 frame as are the others. however, you have to let them know, and do so every so often. Persistance does pay off.
Foursquare
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:03 am  Reply with quote

Getting back to the original point of this thread, I just picked up an early production (1956) Rem 870, 16 of course.

It's all original and in pretty good shape, with 28" full barrel.
On the digital scale it comes in at 6.63 lbs, which puts it a couple ounces lighter than a Sweet 16 with the same length.
Barrel alone is 1.70 lbs.
Needless to say, it has a very muzzle-light feel.

Rem lists the current crop of 16s with 28" at 7 1/4 lbs. The 12 ga express I have weighs 7.90.

Looking at the '50s 16 along side the '90s 12, the receivers look pretty much identical. So maybe the light contour barrel along with the thinner stock and corn cob forearm make the difference.

Although it may be built on a 12 frame, these early 870s may deserve consideration as a "true" 16 based on weight.

Pete
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:03 pm  Reply with quote

Back in the '50s and '60s, Remington frequently used a light weight grade of mahogany called banak as a stock wood on their 16 and 20 ga. 1100/870, 58 sportsman guns. Sometimes the wood is a very decidedly reddish color. Other times the banak was stained to look more like open grained black walnut and was hard to distinguish. Plus, some walnut is also light and open grained. A lot of pecan wood was deeply stained or finished with tinted varnish to resemble walnut too. They also hollowed out .the butts on these sub gauge guns more.

Remington stopped the practice of using substitute stock woods, because Marlin and Winchester, the two biggest competators had a field day of pointing out that they only used American black walnut on their guns. The very conservative gun press of the day picked up on the point and dragged Remington's reputation through the mud for daring to not stock with walnut.

As an interesting aside, in the early '60s Winchester bought up a lot of that same cheaply priced pecan from the Georgia area and shipped it to Japan so Kodensa could make stocks of it on the first couple of runs of the standard grade 101 O/U guns. I learned this when the finish on one of my early 20 ga. models peeled and revealed an almost white, very stark wood with no grain or figure. I sent the gun back, demanded an explanation, and the stock was quickly and quietly replaced with an upgraded walnut stock and forend. Their catalog listed the wood as fine American walnut. Knowledge is power, and I clubbed them pretty good with it over the matter They became very accomodating. How nice! Very Happy

Today, most subgauge guns are shot more at targets than birds or game. The extra weight is a bit of an aid in shooting well on the target ranges. So nobody is making a big issue over added weight. Plus, the gun press of today would not dare belittle Remington or any other manufacturer. They tend to roll over and present their tummies like friendly and nicely trained puppies. Either that or the advertizing revenue dries up. Woof!! Wink Laughing
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:01 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
Back in the '50s and '60s, Remington frequently used a light weight grade of mahogany called banak as a stock wood on their 16 and 20 ga. 1100/870, 58 sportsman guns. Sometimes the wood is a very decidedly reddish color. Other times the banak was stained to look more like open grained black walnut and was hard to distinguish. Plus, some walnut is also light and open grained. A lot of pecan wood was deeply stained or finished with tinted varnish to resemble walnut too. They also hollowed out .the butts on these sub gauge guns more.

Today, most subgauge guns are shot more at targets than birds or game. The extra weight is a bit of an aid in shooting well on the target ranges. So nobody is making a big issue over added weight. Plus, the gun press of today would not dare belittle Remington or any other manufacturer. They tend to roll over and present their tummies like friendly and nicely trained puppies. Either that or the advertizing revenue dries up. Woof!! Wink Laughing

Interesting background history there 16GG. I have handled a few of those 1950's Remington guns (my family always bought Remington, so these are my granddad's and my uncles guns down in Mississippi. I distinctly remember on of my uncles having a 16ga 58 Sportsman that was exactly like you describe, with a reddish stock and light to handle. I would love to run across one of those these days.

Good point about the subgauge guns, however, there are still a few companies that seem to be directly going for the upland field market and making lighter guns for that market. However, most of these tend to be expensive (for the average hunter) o/u's and sxs, with the exception of a few and I would put the Franchi AL-48's in this category, which is why I suggested that Franchi might be a good company to contact regarding a 16ga automatic on a light frame. Certainly their 28ga auto has been a big hit for them. I even emailed them about this the other day.

Brad
Paul Dwight
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:04 am  Reply with quote

Brad,
If you are interested in a Model 58 Sportsman I refer you to my Dec 7 posting. I found one for $125 that was in very nice condition. This 16 ga gun had a plain 26in barrel choked imp cyl. If you are interested ,I'll tell you where it is and give you a POC.
Paul
Foursquare
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:50 am  Reply with quote

Here's the thread about 16 sized frames.
Pete
Bill Layman
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:59 am  Reply with quote

Model 31 and Model 48 Remington 16 gauges are built on scaled frames.

Bill Layman
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:53 am  Reply with quote

So is the model 37 Ithaca which started out as the Remington Model 17. Its a great handling gun too.