16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  R-16 NEW WAD ORDER.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:46 am  Reply with quote

I get terrible plastic & lead fouling from the sg 16 wad from bp. I don't seem to get it from the remington wads. And I don't want any extra steps loading like adding cards. Plus I have about a 1000 cf hulls. In any event if I wanted to shoot cheap I would switch to 12 gauge. I try to load premium high preformance loads with the best components and hard shot to really get the most out of the best gauge the 16 of course. Having a supply of R-16 wads gives me more options and more flexibilty.
BigCreekMI
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:32 am  Reply with quote

My primary purpose in reloading any guage is usually to produce a light reliable target load. I have plenty of the old 16ga Win components, but have found them to be at their best (and cleanest) when loaded to max. The SG16 works beautifully for 7/8oz in most cases with a variety of powders for nice light, crisp target load. My old Win stuff will last for a couple lifetimes of Super X level hunting loads. I'd buy & shoot new premium factory shells before giving Recoil Rob (Robber?) or whoever it is $140 a case for wads, but that is just MO.

bigric
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:37 pm  Reply with quote

Has anybody heard from Chris about the new order? I was going to give him a friendly call to see how things were going, but if anybody else has then I won't bother him.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:23 am  Reply with quote

Big Creek, Its easy to disparage something if you are well set and never were part of the effort we exerted to have Remington bring the R16 back. As you say, you have plenty of WW wads and cases. A lot of the folks here don't have that advantage. I have seen both WW wads and R16 wads go for $12 a bag on EBay. Consider yourself very fortunate.

The BP wad works okay in the straight walled cases, but can't be used in the Remington case easily. It's too fat. The R16 wad can and works in the straight walled cases as well. Its been used in them for well over 40 years now. I've used it in Federal and Fiocchi cases without any problems. It just does not work that well with fine ball powder. Flake powders work fine and are also easier to ignite too. Plus, the BP wad does a very poor job of protecting the shot due to its very shallow shot cup. It just is not nearly as versitile as the R16 or the SP16 for that matter. Plus, the price from BP is no bargain either. Most of their stuff is far more expensive than Recob's prices right across the board.

When looking at the big picture, we are fortunate to have the R16 available to us. Recob's went to bat for us to get the price where it is. Remington wanted more. I know because I was part of the process as well as others on this site. You might ask yourself how many other companies have put themselves out for us 16 ga. folks and actually tried to keep the price of 16 ga. componants down before you bad mouth the firm. Most of us here are grateful to Recob's for their effort and part on our behalf. 16GG.
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:33 am  Reply with quote

I called Chris at Recobs last week or the week before. The order has been placed with Remington and he felt it would be coming shortly. Don't know what else to add except that I, for one, am appreciative of the efforts of those who set this up.

Matt
bigric
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:08 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, Matt. I'll leave Chris alone then Smile
Square Load
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:37 pm  Reply with quote

I was in Wis. last August. Went to Recobs store and visited with Chris and the gang. Real nice bunch of people and the cleanest, most well stocked reloading store I have ever been to. Also had the best prices I had seen in a while. I stocked up with all I had room for on the flight home. Wish they weren't 1600 miles away.

Dennis

Last edited by Square Load on Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
canam
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:39 pm  Reply with quote

If I dont get them in a few weeks I will have to go to the gun store again. What a shame!
16crazy
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:28 am  Reply with quote

Just a point of reference on the price.

Midway had the sp16 wads at $112.99 per 5000

Looking at that the I don't feel bad at all about getting a case of wads that had been out of production for years at $140.

16crazy
bigric
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:04 am  Reply with quote

Just as a heads-up for yall, I got this email today:

They are on order but Remington hasn't given us a delivery date.

Kris
Recobs Target Shop