16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  New 16ga load from Federal
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:18 pm  Reply with quote

Happened by a Sportsman's Warehouse the other day, and decided to check their (usually meager) 16ga offerings. Found something I've never seen before: Federal High Velocity Game Loads, 7/8 oz at 1400 fps. They had them in 7 1/2 only, $4/box. In the standard Federal purple hull, 8 point crimp. Have not tried any of them yet. Extrapolating from a ballistics book I have (saves doing the math), recoil should be about 20% greater than from the standard 1165 fps 1 oz load.

I'm guessing those loads are designed for people who want to shoot Sporting Clays with a 16, to compete with the HV stuff available for the 12 and 20. Now if they'd make that load at about 1200 fps, they'd sell bunches of them to non-reloaders looking for something lighter. Bunches by 16ga standards, that is.
RWG
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

Larry Brown wrote:
Happened by a Sportsman's Warehouse the other day, and decided to check their (usually meager) 16ga offerings. Found something I've never seen before: Federal High Velocity Game Loads, 7/8 oz at 1400 fps. They had them in 7 1/2 only, $4/box. In the standard Federal purple hull, 8 point crimp. Have not tried any of them yet. Extrapolating from a ballistics book I have (saves doing the math), recoil should be about 20% greater than from the standard 1165 fps 1 oz load.

I'm guessing those loads are designed for people who want to shoot Sporting Clays with a 16, to compete with the HV stuff available for the 12 and 20. Now if they'd make that load at about 1200 fps, they'd sell bunches of them to non-reloaders looking for something lighter. Bunches by 16ga standards, that is.

Larry:

Want to donate a few of those loads for testing? I have not seen this new Federal load.

Speaking of Federal, have you noticed that the 1165fps 1 oz load is now marketed under the estate label. Same recipe and components as the old federal load. But like all federal promos, they are now marketed as Estates. Russ
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:38 pm  Reply with quote

Larry Brown wrote:

Interesting

I'm not interested in shooting 7/8 oz loads @ 1400fps, but just the idea of a 7/8 oz 16 gauge load from one of the "Big Three" is noteworthy.
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:46 am  Reply with quote

Interesting. I don't undestand this quest for high velocity. If you can't break the target with a load going 1200 to 1250 fps you need more practice not a faster load. I tried the 12 gage Winchester Supersports soon after they came out and found the recoil more than I like for shooting clays!
hoashooter
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:25 pm  Reply with quote

High velocity and extra long barrels happens to be the current rage-I don't agree with either mabey I am a dinosaur but I know wht works for ME!
RWG
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:45 pm  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:
High velocity and extra long barrels happens to be the current rage-I don't agree with either mabey I am a dinosaur but I know wht works for ME!

I have to admit I do favor long barrels in most of my guns. 29.5" and longer. My target gun has lightweight 32" barrels with extended thin walled tubes. Feels wonderful in my hands. Most of my 16s have 30" barrels as well. I do have a few 28" barreled guns, but that's as short as I like them. Even then, I would have prefered 30" barrels on those guns. Just wasn't available.

I do agree on velocity. 1200 fps is plenty for most applications. Even small game hunting. 1250 fps is my max for duck and goose loads. Dead is dead. I prefer to have less recoil than more. Russ
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:01 am  Reply with quote

I agree that a 7/8 oz load at something like 1150-1200 fps would be of much greater interest to your average 16ga shooter. Would probably be a great target load. I shot a box in a lightweight Fox 16 and the recoil was bearable, but not the most pleasant thing in the world.

Russ, I only bought a couple boxes, shot those up or gave them away to the 16ga guys at the Flatwater Shoot to try out. Next time I'm down that way, I'll pick up some more and send some off to Tom for testing. I'm also interested to see how those hulls will work for reloading. I have not used Fed hulls in some time. These are 8 point crimp, by the way--look like the old Fed Game Loads, other than being marked High Velocity.
brdhnt
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:39 pm  Reply with quote

Having been one of Larry's 'guinea pigs' for these loads at the Flatwater Shoot, I can say that there was some felt recoil with these. I would say that they were comparable to the standard Federal 1 1/8th ounce loads. This of course is a dilema, why shoot a 7/8th ounce load that has as much felt recoil as a 1 1/8th? I will say that these loads did a number on the rabbit targets at the Larry Brown Memorial rabbit station (go to Shooting Sportsman bulletin board and look at Flatwater pictures).

Fiocchi is still seriously looking at a 1165 -1200 FPS 7/8th ounce load. It is being considered by their top corporate people and I have been told it is a
"real possiblity" within the next year. I will keep y'all posted.

I wonder if Federal would make those 7/8th ounce wads available to reloaders?

Terry
________
ZX14 VS HAYABUSA