16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Recoil Pad on Citori Feather Lightning?
matrobw
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:18 am  Reply with quote

I just ordered a new Citori Feather Lightning with 28" bbl's. It will be my first Citori. I have several Cynergy's. It will also be my first 16 gauge. I will use it primarily for pheasants and quail. I was wondering if I really need to put a recoil pad on the gun? I am 6'4" and in decent shape and of course the 20 gauge doesn't bother me at all but after a long day shooting the 12 it gets to me a little bit. I am hoping I don't need one with the Citori. I am not sure if it even has on it.

If I do need one I am guessing there is no aftermarket ez fit pad that I can put on it so some grinding will probably be involved. I don't have a problem doing it. Of course I will have to shoot it first and see if I even need one. Hopefully the answer is no.

Can't wait to get it.

Cheers
jschultz
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:35 am  Reply with quote

I shoot a 6 lb. 2 oz. 16 gauge AyA that does not have a recoil pad. The gun is used for prairie grouse and pheasant. I also use the gun for trap and skeet. I don't notice the recoil when hunting, but after two rounds of trap or skeet my shoulder is sore. I bought a "Limbsaver" shooting shirt that has a recoil pad insert that can be used either right or left handed. The shirt reduced felt recoil and kept my shoulder from getting sore.
Hootch
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:21 pm  Reply with quote

I am long ways from 6' let alone 6'4". Only guns I have that have recoil pads are my two 10ga doubles and they came with them.

I shoot A-5's 12 and 16's without pad, shoot o/u's in 12 and 16 without pads.

My Citori lightweight came with a pad, I had it removed and put a butt plate on.

I think unless you are planning on shooting a ton of clay games in a t-shirt, I wouldn't worry about the pad.
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:30 pm  Reply with quote

Pad? schmad? you don't need no stinking pad Very Happy Shocked

The recoil of a well fitting gun should be well within your tolerance area.
Most important is that the gun will fit for it's intended purpose.

My skeet guns are a bit longer than my upland guns, which are longer than my waterfowl guns.

You being tall might need to add to the length of pull or not.

How does the gun shoot for you? I would suggest that you shoot if for four months before you make ANY changes

Mike
castnblast
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:49 am  Reply with quote

Matrobw,

I feel your pain. I'm 6'6 and my Citori 16 superlight in no way fits with out a pad. I use a Galco slip on pad and it helps a lot. The hard leather doesn't snag and I didn't alter the gun. A Citori as you may know has a radius cut butt, so fitting pad requires cutting unless you grind and bend an after market pad. I'm not a fan of the slip ons but they do offer some protection in the field, add some much needed lengh and help with recoil. Good luck.
ckirk
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:27 am  Reply with quote

I have a Cynergy in 12 gauge and a Citori in 16 gauge. You may discover, like I did, that the Cynergy (with goofy looking recoil pad) has less felt recoil than the Citori. The only time I really perceive the recoil as problematic is after a day of shooting clays (skeet or sporting). I realize the recoil has a lot to do with gun weight and types of loads. So, I am not comparing apples to apples here.

I use the Citori mainly for hunting so the recoil was never a big concern. I did end up adding a Limbsaver grind to fit recoil pad to the Citori to get a little extra LOP. It turned out pretty good, but my only complaint is the Limbsaver is sticky. I fear the pad may "grab" rather slide on my vest when I mount the gun. This has not happened, but I am a little more deliberate when I mount the gun. Side by side comparison between the Cynergy recoil pad and the Limbsaver revealed to me that the Limbsaver was a little stickier.

If I had to do it over, I would probably stick with the a slide on pad. Something like Castnblast suggested (a leather Galco). I used a cheap black rubber one to help determine the increase in LOP.

No real revelations here, just some first hand experience with guns similar to yours.

Best of luck and enjoy your new Citori!

TJC
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:39 am  Reply with quote

When I had my Citori Feather I had Griffin and Howe install a Pachmeyer Decelerator on it. Kept the orig overall LOP as it fit me fine.

I shot the gun for trap extensively so the pad was a nice addition.

WHen I first bought the gun and used it only for hunting, it needed no pad.

rdja
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:25 am  Reply with quote

Had a Pachmeyer Sporting clays pad put on my 16 ga Citori. I needed more LOP and do enjoy the decrease in recoil. I can get on the second bird of a pair faster. I will shoot a flat of shells in a 5 stand session. The recoil will get to you. If not now but in 5-10 years when your shoulder or neck is causing trouble.
What I like about the Sporting Clay pad is the very top edge of the pad is covered by a small piece of hard slick plastic, so the gun does not stick when mounting. Until I was sure I wanted more LOP I was using a Limbsaver slip on, very sticky and did not like it al all.