16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Ugartechea 16
Haiwee
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:06 am  Reply with quote

I'm looking to add a double 16 to my gun lineup. Can anybody offer an opinion on the Ugartechea imported by Lion Country? It seems to be built on a 16 frame (at 6.25 to 6.5 lbs. it's over half a pound lighter than the 12) and at $1300 for a grade one seems like a pretty good deal for a basic boxlock.
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:46 pm  Reply with quote

Haiwee!

I don't have any personal experience with the Uggy's but most everything I've seen and read on the web about them has been positive, not only about the guns but also about Lion Country Supply.

The only negatives I have seen have been about soft firing pins and the lower grades don't have a hinged front trigger.

I've used up my fun money for a while but I'd like to pick up a 28ga. grade 1 to chase quail around the desert with! Let us know if you decide to get one.

Matt
L Kenney
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:17 am  Reply with quote

I bought a 16 ga Ugartechea 30E in the late 1980s, bent the stock to LH cast and shot it for 5-6 years on everything but ducks. I think that model is pretty close to what you're looking at. A solid, basic gun that never gave me any problems. 27" barrels and I recall that it weighed just over 6.5 lbs with a pad.
terc
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:04 pm  Reply with quote

Haiwee, The Ugartecheas imported by Lion Country are great guns.I've used a few of them and never had a problem.The grade 1's are about 1300.00 but if you shop around and can wait a little there are,"as new", used guns out there for alot less.In my opinion the 5 to 15 year old guns were made a little nicer than the new ones.
Good luck Dave
fred lauer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:50 pm  Reply with quote

Our local gun shop has had one on the new rack for about a year. It is a 16 with 28" tubes choked s1 and s2,box lock with extracters,straight grip and double triggers. The wood to metal fit is very nice,oil finished stock and I believe it has hand cut checkering.The comb is nicely shaped but a bit sharp for my boney cheek.The action is stiff as a rusty gate but I would think that would loosen up in short order with use. The last time I checked they were asking $950 for it. It depends on your local market but around here I'd try to get the price down about 15% below list if I could. They are a nicely balanced gun, I hope you get one and let us know how it works out.

fowler
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:11 pm  Reply with quote

I have had two over the last 10 years on 12ga. and one 16ga. M-30 models and they are very well made and a good value. I sold the 12bore and kept the 16 bore. If you look you can find them used in the $800 range.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:15 am  Reply with quote

They are indeed out there used, for much better prices, but the 16's can be a little hard to find and you need to be patient. They were imported as Parker Hales or marked Precision Sports. Basically the same gun. Bill Hanus also imported them as his "Bird Gun" (not to be confused with later editions of the Hanus Bird Gun). Those came with a hard case and some of them had single triggers.
Haiwee
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:31 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies, guys. Looks like I may be ponying up for a new Uggie Grade I in 16 next month or so, unless I can find a 95%+ used one for a good price in the meantime.
Rick Grimes
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 am  Reply with quote

Give LCS a call. They might have a used 16 ga. on the rack. I started my sxs adventure with an Uggie Grade I. Your making a good choice.

Rick

Going into coverts becomes less a chase with the sole purpose of killing; it remains important to find game but the gratification-and I keep coming back to that word-is in the beauty of finding it. George Bird Evans A Dog, A Gun, And Time Enough.
bruce1651
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:07 am  Reply with quote

Sid:

Sent you a couple of emails, and I haven't heard from you. You still out there? Do you still want that Uggie? I don't care either way, but would like to heard from you.

Thanks

Bruce1651