16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Loose Reciever on Browning Citori
ckirk
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:39 pm  Reply with quote

Nantan2,

I hope your Browning Citori problem gets resolved quickly and to your satisfaction.

I sent my brand new Citori in to the Arnold facility the first week of May for warranty work. I am still waiting to hear from Browning about a return date. I received the post card with the service tracking info. on it and the status hasn't changed in 6+ weeks. Your experience has me feeling more and more nervous about my choice to send it off to Arnold; however, warranty work in the UP of Michigan is not an option.

I completely agree with PGG that "If a Browning gun malfunctions, it SHOULD be the beginning of their finest hour." My grandfather sold Browning guns during the 50', 60's and 70's. He was a big Browning fan because he said they always took care of the customer especially when something went wrong. As a result, I own a bunch of Browning long guns. My hope is that their dedication to customer service is not just a bygone tradition and the current Browning Company isn't resting on the performance of their predecessors.

Best of luck,

Chris

roll crimp
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:19 pm  Reply with quote

In all fairness to Browning and the Arnold facility, I had to have some warrenty work done on a Citori earlier this year. The problem was that the barrels did not close on face and there was a gap between barrels and breech. Not an overly simple problem to fix.

I drove the gun to Arnold since I don't live all that far from them.

3 weeks later the gun arrived on my door step. Problem resolved and gun is better than new.

I would guess that the fast turn around has something to do with whatever back log they do or don't have at the time you send them your gun.

Having said that, I now have a sweet sixteen at the MGW facility for what I would call a simple fix. A pin in the bolt keeps working loose and backing out. It has been with them for 4 weeks now and they said to expect a 6 week turn around, when I dropped it off. Since I will pay when the job is done I doubt that they are holding my gun any longer than absolutely necessary, but it still seems like a long time to fix that pin.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:58 pm  Reply with quote

I'm betting that Nantan will be overwhealmingly pleased with how his gun turns out. I have mentioned persistance more than once. Sometimes that is what it takes. As with any operation, the work being done is only as good as the man doing it. Every company has good workmen and some not so good. It is a crap shoot pure and simple. I have had to turn to the higher ups of several companies to get the right results including Browning--several times. It happens.

However, I have also stated that once the Browning home office boys get on the case, things get done right--real right. They have never let me down ever. I wish that were true for all major gun companies. It isn't.

Nantan, you are most fortunate to live within driving distance of the Utah office. I wish I had years ago during the bad barrel episodes I've written about. It would have made things a whole bunch simpler and easier. I also would have been close by enough to go shake some well deserving hands once the matters were made right. I think you will have not only gained back a good gun, but also made some valuable contacts and friends in the end. At least I hope so. I know I did. Good luck and here's hoping it goes as well for you as it has for me.
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
I'm betting that Nantan will be overwhealmingly pleased with how his gun turns out. I have mentioned persistance more than once. Sometimes that is what it takes. As with any operation, the work being done is only as good as the man doing it. Every company has good workmen and some not so good. It is a crap shoot pure and simple. I have had to turn to the higher ups of several companies to get the right results including Browning--several times. It happens.

However, I have also stated that once the Browning home office boys get on the case, things get done right--real right. They have never let me down ever. I wish that were true for all major gun companies. It isn't.

Nantan, you are most fortunate to live within driving distance of the Utah office. I wish I had years ago during the bad barrel episodes I've written about. It would have made things a whole bunch simpler and easier. I also would have been close by enough to go shake some well deserving hands once the matters were made right. I think you will have not only gained back a good gun, but also made some valuable contacts and friends in the end. At least I hope so. I know I did. Good luck and here's hoping it goes as well for you as it has for me.

16 GG,

I don't know how you can keep singing the praises of a customer service dep't that requires your "persistence". That was the word you used, wasn't it? There shouldn't be a "crap shoot" either.Tthat was another word you used, wasn't it.

I'm sorry. 20 years ago words like "persistence" and "crap shoot" were part of most customer service operations. Today, there is just too much demand for your hard earned dollar. Plenty of firms are offering equal, or better quality as Browning for the same money. And a company with the legacy of Browning has had ample time to fine tune their operation.

If this was the odd problem, I would cut you and Browning a little more slack. BUT, there have been numerous complaints about Browning's customer service on this forum. ( And I've only been a member for less than 7 months).

You said that "the work being done is only as good as the man doing it". Well, that man should be replaced if he's not doing it. We are talking about a firearm here. Suppose that same tech left a rag in the barrel? Would you still be defending Browning if someone lost an eye? Or a finger? Answer me one more question... do you posess that same cavalier attitude toward the company that does brakes on your wife's car? Or the plane your family uses to go on vacation. How about your gas burner mechanic?

There are just too many firms out there that offer outstanding customer service. I for one will never buy a Browning firearm!!!

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:55 pm  Reply with quote

Damn 16gaugeguy, we thought you were dead! Been a couple of months since your last visit hasn't it?

Be interesting to see how this Browning service thing turns out. Hopefully for the better!

Matt
roll crimp
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:21 am  Reply with quote

Sometimes I have to smile.....I just metioned that I had my sweet sixteen at MGW and it seemd to be taking a long time and here they called yestrerday and it was ready.

It has happened more than once that I get a lttle impatient and say something in a forum about something taking a long time and low and behold, like magic the gun shows up the next day or two.

So far my experience with MGW has been good but the real proof wil be in seeing how the gun cycles. I'll be going out to the range later today to run a couple boxes of shells through it and check it out.

I know this is a bit off topic of the original thread but I was so excited at getting my 16 back that I just had to post something! Very Happy
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

Prussian Gun Guy wrote:
16gaugeguy wrote:

16 GG,

I don't know how you can keep singing the praises of a customer service dep't that requires your "persistence". That was the word you used, wasn't it? There shouldn't be a "crap shoot" either.Tthat was another word you used, wasn't it.

I'm sorry. 20 years ago words like "persistence" and "crap shoot" were part of most customer service operations. Today, there is just too much demand for your hard earned dollar. Plenty of firms are offering equal, or better quality as Browning for the same money. And a company with the legacy of Browning has had ample time to fine tune their operation.

If this was the odd problem, I would cut you and Browning a little more slack. BUT, there have been numerous complaints about Browning's customer service on this forum. ( And I've only been a member for less than 7 months).

You said that "the work being done is only as good as the man doing it". Well, that man should be replaced if he's not doing it. We are talking about a firearm here. Suppose that same tech left a rag in the barrel? Would you still be defending Browning if someone lost an eye? Or a finger? Answer me one more question... do you posess that same cavalier attitude toward the company that does brakes on your wife's car? Or the plane your family uses to go on vacation. How about your gas burner mechanic?

There are just too many firms out there that offer outstanding customer service. I for one will never buy a Browning firearm!!!

PPG, I don't believe I am defending anyone with my post. I'm simply relating my experiences in dealing with not only Browning, but other companies as well. I just did not bother to list them all.

I do not know of any gun company that has a perfect customer service track record. I have had both good and bad service from quite a few gun companies over the years. I've also been around the competition gun circuits long enough to know that even high ticket gun companies occasionally screw up. I've seen and heard about some real poor service on some of the high ticket custom field guns too. Some of the worst cases of customer abuse has been at the hands of some of the supposedly "best gun" companies. No one is immune. Even German makers can screw up. Some of them are also damned hard to convince they have done so on occasion. You had better get used to the idea that it can be a crap shoot. That is the way of things. It does not matter how much you pay either.

So you are entirely welcome to pass on Browning guns. You can pick them apart issue by issue if you want to. This is easy to do to any gun. None are perfect. Each one is a compromise of weight, balance, reliability, features, price, quality, etc. Plus, we all have our preferences. Add in that there are problem guns in every lot made. Some lots are better than others too. Guns are made by humans, and humans screw up--sometimes repeatedly.

But I would bet my entire estate, that the 16 ga Citori outsells all other 16 ga O/U guns combined by a fairly wide margin. It would probably be one of the safest bets I'll ever make too. I really doubt you will find a better deal on a brand new O/U 16 ga field gun than the 16 ga Citori. Dollar for dollar, they are just too damned hard to beat. The competition knows it too.

So you go right on shooting your favorite German guns. There are some fine ones out there no doubt. I own a couple myself. I've got no quarrel with you about that. In fact, I've really got no quarrel with you at all. I'll save up any fighting energy for dealing with any gun company service department that tries to screw me over. Sometimes it just takes some persistance, even tenacity. But I did say that already didn't I. Wink
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:50 pm  Reply with quote

CitoriFeather16 wrote:
Damn 16gaugeguy, we thought you were dead! Been a couple of months since your last visit hasn't it?

Be interesting to see how this Browning service thing turns out. Hopefully for the better!

Matt

To quote John Wayne's lead character in Chisolm,... "Not hardly!" Wink I've been popping in and out now and again. Seems I gotta keep an eye on you all after all. Very Happy

Last edited by 16gaugeguy on Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:54 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
Prussian Gun Guy wrote:
16gaugeguy wrote:

16 GG,

PPG, I don't believe I am defending anyone with my post. I'm simply relating my experiences in dealing with not only Browning, but other companies as well. I just did not bother to list them all.

I do not know of any gun company that has a perfect customer service track record. I have had both good and bad service from quite a few gun companies over the years. I've also been around the competition gun circuits long enough to know that even high ticket gun companies occasionally screw up. I've seen and heard about some real poor service on some of the high ticket custom field guns too. Some of the worst cases of customer abuse has been at the hands of some of the supposedly "best gun" companies. No one is immune. Even German makers can screw up. Some of them are also damned hard to convince they have done so on occasion. you had better get used to the idea that it can be a crap shoot. That is the way of things. It does not matter how much you pay either.

So you are entirely welcome to pass on Browning guns, but I really doubt you will find a better deal on a brand new O/U 16 ga field gun than the 16 ga Citori. Dollar for dollar, they are just too damned hard to beat. You can pick them apart issue by issue if you want to. This is easy to do to any gun. None are perfect. Each one is a compromise of weight, balance, reliability, price, quality, etc. Plus. we all have our preferences. But I would bet my entire estate, that the 16 ga Citori outsells all other 16 ga O/U guns combined by a fairly wide margin. It would probably be one of the safest bets I'll ever make too.

So you go right on shooting your favorite German guns. There are some fine ones out there no doubt. I own a couple myself. I've got no quarrel with you about that. In fact, I've really got no quarrel with you at all. I'll save up any fighting energy for dealing with any gun company service department that tries to screw me over. sometimes it just takes some persistance. But I did say that already didn't I. Wink

And, I have no quarrel with Browning, or yourself. However, they have a customer service problem. And this is not the first instance with them. My gripe is with ANY company that offers piss-poor customer service. I spent the past 25 years owning and running my own industrial equipment (forklifts) sales, rental, and service business. Great customer service, attention to details, prompt warrantee resolutions are the three greatest reasons that I, not only survived, but prospered in the most difficult of market places... New York City.

I don't care what business it is, customer service should take the highest priority.

By the way... how many people out there suffered because they don't posess that "persistent" personality?

Browning should be ashamed. And that spaghetti Italian gun... if they also suffer inferior customer service, they also should be ashamed. Not only that... their sales should suffer!!!

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:02 pm  Reply with quote

If you have been in any business for 25 years, then either you, or one of your employees has probably screwed up during that time. That is, unless you are either perfect, or a robot my friend. I've never met a perfect human or robot either for that matter. So I already know it's happened. It is all about how you handled that screw up.

In Nantan's case, the Browning home office boys have stepped up to the problem. I would suggest we wait and see how goes it before we line them up and shoot them. What say you?
MGF
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:28 pm  Reply with quote

Frankly, even if the Sissies are the best mass-produced O/U and outsell the competition 100:1, they're not worth a rat's posterior if they don't fit and feel right for the individual. Keep the estate, 16gg, I'm sticking with my lowly Weenies and Guerinis.

And although I've heard they can be turds to deal with, I've only needed Beretta customer service twice in the past dozen years. Both times handled through my dealer, and both guns back before Beretta's time estimate. One free, including all shipping (as it should have been) and one at my expense (to be honest, also as it should have been).
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:55 am  Reply with quote

Just a thought but it might do for Browning a lot of good to include with the purchase of a new gun 16 GG's instructions on how to deal with thier service department Exclamation Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:40 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:

In Nantan's case, the Browning home office boys have stepped up to the problem. I would suggest we wait and see how goes it before we line them up and shoot them. What say you?

But only cause he lives so close to the 'home office' and walked in the door shaking it in their faces. It better get their attention!

NANTAN2
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:04 pm  Reply with quote

Well, it seems as though my customer service problem with Browning has stirred up a bit of emotion on the 16 Ga. site. Let me just say this, I've owned and shot Browning guns for well over 35 years. Auto 5's, BPS's, Citori's, A bolts, Buckmarks, etc. This is the first time I've had any problem with a Browning product. I like Brownings and will continue to shoot them. But having said that, I am a bit dis-illusioned with this whole customer service problem.
Some of the posts have been right on. I am very lucky to live so close, that I can walk in their front door and show them my concerns "face to face". If I lived anywhere else, I'd been burning up the phone lines with customer service, and then shipping my 525 off to Arnold...AGAIN. The folks in Arnold need to really step up their quality control process. When you send a gun back with vise marks in the stock and rust on the barrels....There's a big problem!! And I have a feeling the boys here in Utah are going to shake things up in Arnold...at least I hope so. I am anxiously awaiting the phone call from Browning Corporate next week, telling me they've finished working on my 525....and my guess is that it will have one sweet stock on it...with no vise marks!! I'll keep you posted.

MGF
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:47 am  Reply with quote

NANTAN2 wrote:
When you send a gun back with vise marks in the stock and rust on the barrels....There's a big problem!!

Have to agree with that. That's just bush league. Hope they make right for you.