16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Shells for Reloading
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:06 am  Reply with quote

Slide, they were once fired 2 3/4" Federals and Estates, cut down approx 1 inch. measured with a set of Browne & Sharpe dial calipers, over the ribbing. (if you are wondering the calipers aren't bent or sprung and I was using the undercut tips so arcs don't affect the reading)

I will check again when I get home, though because I am not above screwing up now and again.

rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:53 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Slide,

I checked the zero on my caliper an then checked it with a .100 size block, everything checks good.

I rechecked the Federals at .030 - ,032 on top of the ribs,

I tried a Remington it measured .034 - .035 on top of the ribs.

Tube mics are great, but that long anvil deflects and if you use the friction thimble on plastic you will get an inaccurate reading. You need a very light touch when measuring plastics. Especially this stuff, it is very soft and pliable, you can displace it very easy.

Hootch
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:38 pm  Reply with quote

Ajax, what did you think of the ammo from Sporting Ammo?
I have been thinking about trying a box of their 10ga and maybe some 16ga. (12ga) too if they are worth it.

What did it cost??
ajaxfjr
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:03 pm  Reply with quote

Hootch, I liked dealing with them, they were fast and friendly. I bought both 2 3/4" 12 gauge, and 16 gauge shells. I have fired a few of the 16 gauge, but not at waterfowl to date. They went bang as expected.

The 12 gauge shells were very effective and I would purchase them again.

If memory serves me right the cost was $16 bucks and change. Priced right if you ask me.

Ajax.
robt. harris
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:16 am  Reply with quote

rerundogchaser37 wrote:
Hi Slide,

I checked the zero on my caliper an then checked it with a .100 size block, everything checks good.

I rechecked the Federals at .030 - ,032 on top of the ribs,

I tried a Remington it measured .034 - .035 on top of the ribs.

Tube mics are great, but that long anvil deflects and if you use the friction thimble on plastic you will get an inaccurate reading. You need a very light touch when measuring plastics. Especially this stuff, it is very soft and pliable, you can displace it very easy.

Perhaps more of us 'experts' should 'mike' our Federal hulls (not that it actually matters) as three new ones here cut down by the said one inch come out between .022 and .025" in thickness.

As for methodology, I used a high quality, steel 'Helios' brand dial caliper which I thoroughly degreased and then washed with a good anti-bacterial soap to insure hat not one microbe of ?? could affect the reading Wink

All I can figure is that Federal Cartridge figures us wimps out West don't need as robust a hull as you eastern fellas.....LOL

May all your Federal hulls be as thick as RGLs'...... Rolling Eyes

Rob
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:02 am  Reply with quote

rerundogchaser37 wrote:
Tube mics are great, but that long anvil deflects and if you use the friction thimble on plastic you will get an inaccurate reading. You need a very light touch when measuring plastics. Especially this stuff, it is very soft and pliable, you can displace it very easy

I could be insulted DC.... but I won't be. I have used and instructed the using of precision measuring instruments for many decades in fact. There is no error on my part.

The spindle-type anvil on the tubing mic is only distorted by a pure amateur of the most "heavyhanded" nature! You have to be careful on soft materials as is our case of discusion as measuring surfaces are very localized which vastly increases the need for correct "feel".

Your vernier type dial caliper is somewhat on the "crude" side of precision measurement tools as to accuracy... That said, for our hull wall it is more that adequate if correct "feel" is applied.

"Feel" can be "light-handed" as well as "heavyhanded".... Paranoia of the soft and easy distortion of our material can make us light-handed into a bigger reading possibility?

How can we check ourself then? Cutting and rolling the tube wall flat; then measuring the same spot with a 0-1" micrometer and compare readings. I did this between a standard mic and the tube mic and had within a tenth or two difference. (.0001"- .0002")

For ultra precision measurement of "soft stuff" we have cut and fit a piece of the material between two pieces of known thickness material. In a test case I remember, we used actual hardened and ground 3/8" high speed lathe tool bits. They miked extremely close (within a tenth) of 3/8" (.375")
The flattened soft material was placed between the two square pieces for their full length and VERY LIGHTLY C-clamped together at each end. This "sandwich" is then miked. Let's say we get a reading in our case of .773". Subtracting .750" for the thickness of our two precision squares gives us a material thickness of .023" This dimension can then be used to test the "feel" needed to correctly mic or caliper our same material with the correct "touch".

I bother explaining this as I am very interested in your large reading for Federal wall thickness. That, and your Remington wall thickness seems close to mine?

Could Federal have changed it quite recently? Sure, but I doubt it! Federal doesn't change anything that is working for them! Look at the paper basewad! It has been the same identical shape and design fo 75 years that I know of!

I measured Federal 16 ga hulls that probably spanned 25 years and saw only a couple thousandths difference in wall thickness. Only older PAPER hulls approached your readings.

Are your hulls still warm from manufacture? I would guess my newest measured were probably 2-3 years old.....

What wall thickness do you get on Cheddite hulls?

Slidehammer
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:39 am  Reply with quote

Slide and whoever else cares,

I worked as a machinist (I.D./O.D. Grinders mostly, lathes - manual and CNC, and CNC machining centers) for 13 or so years.

Most of my experience is on the I.D./O.D. grinders, all of the work was either aero-space, medical or plastic mold related. I have spent months at a time seeing tolerances of +/- .00025 or less. I have used most every type of gaging from dial calipers to air gaging to the automatic electronic gaging. I know my stuff.

If you don't believe my measurements, I don't know what to tell you.

mike campbell
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:23 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:58 am  Reply with quote

Perhaps a couple pictures will help... Laughing Laughing

The first has an enlargement of the carefully trimmed back mouths of a Reminton black and a late vintage Fed purple.

The Remington miked .0315" - .0335" wall (.002" eccentric)

The Federal miked .022" - .0245" wall (.0025" eccentric)

The O.D. of both hulls at the trimmed mouth was .720"

Our county librarian with her thick lensed glasses could tell me which was thicker without even tools! Laughing

The second split photo is the same two trimmed hulls photograped with
the SAME trimmed shorter R16 wad inserted backwards to further display differences seen without measurement!

Oh Mike.... This could be one reason hull wall thickness has some merit to discuss.

To all.... Wonder why a Federal (or Cheddite) hull migrates powder when loaded with a Remington wad? Take a look at the "gap" in the second photo!

Slidehammer

Last edited by Slidehammer on Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:00 pm  Reply with quote

I don't really know how old these hulls are, I bought 1,500 of them from a guy in MN. I bought them as a mixture of Estates and Federals, and threw about 500 of my own Federals in the bin.

UPDATE.

We are in a debate over nothin'. I reached into the bottom of my bin and pulled out some hulls and started checking. I found wall thickness readings from .020 on some Estates to the .032 thickness I originally gave you. Those thicker numbers are from 10+ year old Federals, which were the once fired hulls that were originally bought as new ammo by me. When I started checking even the Estates are all over the place as far as wall thickness goes.

Then I measured 2 Cheddites .028 - .024 on both hulls. These extruded plastic tubes don't seem to run very consistent. This is basically a waste of time.

BTW I did the same as you fellas did just to keep apples vs apples and there wasn't a difference between flattend out with a Micrometer and still as a tube with the dial calipers. I don't think anyone should be surprised at that.

Last edited by rerundogchaser37 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Slidehammer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:20 pm  Reply with quote

rerundogchaser37 wrote:
If someone knows when Federal started making Estates that would help. They aren't brand new for sure.

I Don't know for sure DC, but 8 to 10 years ago. Any Hull prior to this will have "Federal" over "16 GA" as a headstamp.. Hull writing wil be a silverish color. Fine corrugation in this type are later than more course corrugation earlier on some 12 years back and earlier.

At the time of Estate being added the headstamp changed. It became 16 GA on top and Made in U.S.A. on the bottom. Hull ink changed from silver to black. Corrugations stayed fine for a couple more years and them went course again as the very early vintage style was!!!

About how the time went... close anyway.

Slidehammer
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:23 pm  Reply with quote

Yup, That is how mine are stamped.

Slide, glad that you weren't insulted, but if I had a dollar for every guy that told me he knew how to use a mic, you come back 5 minutes later and he is about using it as a 'C' clamp. So I just learned to always find out for sure.

rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:10 pm  Reply with quote

Mike Campbell,

Mike the reason I used the calipers in the first place is, it is easier to get a good feel with the calipers with plastic, as there is no mechaniccal advantage with a set of dial calipers. Micrometers are another animal altogether as they have a very fine screw thread (40 threads per inch) and it isnt very difficult to squish the plastic around with a mic.

mike campbell
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:53 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:20 pm  Reply with quote

mike campbell wrote:
BTW,

Do any of you really, really old

I qualify to answer because of your first seven words above!

NO! Dang it! We have BS'ed around the fire many the time wishing Federal made (or would make) a 16SO wad of the spiral crush first called "Pushin Cushion"...

The two-piece animal you are seeing in Federal's now is their "Triple-Plus" wad column as they have named it. It does OK. I guess Federal's shotcup is the best of all manufacturers, but it takes a built up wad column to use it and is no longer available as a component either.
An interesting fact is Federal had a cork-like fiber column under this same shotcup when it was first introduced in the 60's. To this day I will give them credit as the best patterning factory loads I ever shot! The "Triple-Plus" has been around 40 years or so but has never patterned as well as the first plastic loads did.

The Triple-Plus is in all the 16ga Federal loads I have seen lately.

Slidehammer