16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  LC Smith
old16
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:06 am  Reply with quote

Just purchased an LC today. Haven't recieved it yet. I've been looking for a pet phesant gun. From what I've been reading on this sight it seems to owners really like the guns.
Planning to go to Kansas this fall to do a little bird hunting. My son-in-law is from the North east part of Kansas so he is going to put me in touch with some of his friends and kinfolk. Any good places in that area of Kansas.

PS 16ga that is.

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:10 am  Reply with quote

It's a good thing you've got family connections. Very little walk-in property in NE KS and NO chance of permission by just driving around and asking. There are 3 (last I heard) hunting clubs in KC that contract with property owners so everything from the Mo. river (Atchison and Brown Co.s) to Highway 81 N. of Salina (Republic and Cloud Co.s) is leased or posted and gets hit pretty hard.
Hunting CAN be very good with both pheasants and quail on the same property BUT also very spotty.
Now I'm going to get in trouble Confused but it's terrible to lose a pheasant hit in the behind with 7 1/2s and equally bad to blow up a quail with a 1 and 1/4 oz. of 4s or 5s. For the sake of the birds, please load for one or the other and have the discipline to pass up shots on the other birds. This is discussed at length in the 'Pheasant Hunting' thread and also 'Shot size for Kansas roosters' thread in General Discussion.
Good hunting and let us know how it goes.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

Don't let the Reverands assesment of availability of hunting areas in NE Kansas disturb you too much. There is plenty of public hunting around Council Grove, Milford and Tuttle Creek lakes.These areas get hit pretty hard the first two weekends of the season and over Thanksgiving weekend but other than that you should find plenty of land to hunt. These areas are mananged for wildlife with plenty of food plots intelaced with roosting and escape cover.

If you are hunting without a dog recommend you stuff a #6 in your right barrel and a #5 in the left. The #6s aren't too bad for quail. After you get a covey scattered you can switch to 7 1/2s for the singles. Nice feature of the old classics.... two triggers and instant choke selection.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

Hey TwiceB,

Where ya been? Haven't seen much from you lately (or maybe I've just been reading the wrong threads!); hope you are keeping those Foxes well oiled, and well used!

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook