16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Perplexed
SBFD
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:42 pm  Reply with quote

Been looking for a while for a 16 GA O/U.
Looked at DeHaan, Verona and Stoeger.
Only been able to see pictures of them.
I have kind of narrowed it down to DeHaan and Verona.

DeHaan has 26" which I'd like.
Verona has ejectors, chokes & is cheaper at cnn, but is 28" barrels.
Both weigh about 7lbs.
(Verona lists 16ga & 12ga as same weight. sure it is on it's own frame?)

Another minor thing(maybe) is that DeHaan have waterfowl engraving, and I am going to use this strickly as a upland gun. Not a huge deal, bbut I'd like to have upland engraving.

Anyone have any input on either that will help me decide?

thanks
IFL16's
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:34 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, if you want an upland gun forget those two all together and get a 16 gauge Fox Sterlingworth.

Larry
TJC
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:37 pm  Reply with quote

IFL16's wrote:
Yes, if you want an upland gun forget those two all together and get a 16 gauge Fox Sterlingworth.

Larry

Now there is some good advise. Very Happy

fred lauer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:26 pm  Reply with quote

I think that Huglu makes the DeHann guns. You might try some local shops that handle Huglu. They make some nice upland type guns , I don't know what models are available in 16 bore.I guess we're all waiting to see if Connecticut Shotgun is going to give us an RBL model in 16.Now that would be a dandy pheasant gun.Happy Shopping.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:50 am  Reply with quote

If you can stretch to budget a bit, I think you will find a Browning Citori will outshine the other O/U guns mentioned by a considerable margin. A clean used one would not be out of reach. I've shot thousands of rounds through mine for years now and it still looks and feels like new. Most of the used ones on the market are very, very clean. its hard to go wrong here. 16GG.

PS: This is sure to start a war, but what the heck.Tthe 16 Citori is every bit as good a gun as a whirlingstirth. I will allow that two triggers offers instant choke selection. However, more often than not, quite a few of these guys just pull both at the same time. It cuts down on the unecessary decision making. Laughing
IFL16's
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:10 am  Reply with quote

16gg, you're right about the decision making process here. This is just my second year hunting with a two trigger gun and I still have trouble selecting the right trigger. Maybe that's my problem, I'm still looking for the right trigger but how can I find that when I haven't even found the left trigger yet! Confused
Larry
fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:36 am  Reply with quote

16GG,

Never having shot a Citori I cannot comment with certainty, so I will have to defer to you when you say that it is every bit as good a gun as a Sterlingworth (no need for derogatory spellings; thank you). The fact that someone put the barrels on sideways is a discussion for another time. However, one point of fact is irrefutable: the Fox shotguns, and that includes the the Sterlingworth, are American classics. The Citori is...well, not . Apples and oranges, my friend; apples and oranges Very Happy !

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:41 am  Reply with quote

Well Fin, if you would look at the original post, I think the guy said he was looking for an O/U. Now I admire a Whirlingst...oops, sorry, Stirlingworth as much as the next guy. however trying to shoot one with the barrels oriented vertically would be tough. Talk about apples and oranges, this would drive one bananas. Rolling Eyes Laughing
portsider44
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:51 am  Reply with quote

SBFD wrote:

I have kind of narrowed it down to DeHaan and Verona.

Anyone have any input on either that will help me decide?

thanks

The only place that I know with Verona's is CDNN & according to SouthernPA on this site who talked to them yesterday they only have 4 left. So unless you have another source you may be left with just the Dehaan out of your remaining 2.

I went through the same struggle as you are going through & I ended up buying 2 Veronas. I am very please with the fit & finish of the gun. Lots of value & features for such a modest price.

If I had just been upgrading guns I might have waited around & looked for a used browning or ordered one of the 2006. However, my purchase was driven by a break-in & I not only did I need a new shotgun for myself, but also my 14 y.o. son. Even on the used side it hard to find Browning 16 o/u under $1100 & I bought 2 new ones for $1300.

Only time will tell if I made the right decision, but in my sons eyes I am top shelf.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:20 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
Well Fin, if you would look at the original post, I think the guy said he was looking for an O/U. Now I admire a Whirlingst...oops, sorry, Stirlingworth as much as the next guy. however trying to shoot one with the barrels oriented vertically would be tough. Talk about apples and oranges, this would drive one bananas. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Right you are, Sir!

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:13 am  Reply with quote

Sir? Who came in?
Scolari
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:38 am  Reply with quote

I can't offer any information on either the Verona or the DeHaan since i've never owned one. I did see a Verona 20 ga and it was nice for the money. I do have a Browning Citori in 16 ga with a 28 inch bbl. I think the 28" does a little better job on swing through. I shot a 78% on sporting clays last weekend with that gun. A 26" might do a little better on skeet though.
I was also wondering about the Traditions "Real 16" It comes with choke tubes. I have never seen one of those either. There is another O/U out there made by Tristar. I think it's an Italian gun that is advertised with 28 or 26" bbl. It doesn't have screw in chokes though. I never hear anything about these guns but they might be worth looking at especially if yu don't want to spend a lot for a Browning.
SBFD
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:53 am  Reply with quote

I wouldn't be against a Citori, but I'm not sure where to buy one.
I am a bit nervous about buying one on an auctions site.
Flytier
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:17 am  Reply with quote

SBFD,

I have the Verona in both 16 and 20 gauge and have been very pleased. My 16 is on a true 16 gauge frame and weighs exactly 6 lbs 12 ounces. I personally would not want anything lighter than that. I also purchased mine because it had 28" barrels and the oiled stock.

flytier
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:40 pm  Reply with quote

SBFD wrote:
I wouldn't be against a Citori, but I'm not sure where to buy one.
I am a bit nervous about buying one on an auctions site.

The internet is a good place to do business if you know what you need to know about what gun you want. Its not a good place to get "educated." It's not really risky if the posted pictures of the gun are clear, the seller is well established like a solid gun shop, and you can get a reasonable inpection period.

Use the email to ask the right questions. If the seller cannot or will not offer the info requested, or if he tries to play dumb, then pass on the gun. Most sellers know exactly what they have and how much the average going rate is.

If the seller is not an FFL licenced individual, then have him find a gun dealer in his area with an established shop who can act as broker. IE., the dealer receives the funds from you and the gun from the seller. He ships the gun once the money is secured and pays the seller only after you ok the gun. Most times you will have to pay shipping both ways if you refuse the gun. However, the dealer should be willing to look the gun over before shipping it to certify it is accurately described.

I've bought several guns this way and have been well treated. If the seller wants to change anything about an agreement, wants exsessive shipping and handling fees, has only a PO box and/or a cell phone with no certified address, then pass on the deal even if you happen to be the high bidder of an auction. Most of these sites will warn you not to do business this way up front. Even if the dealer gets nasty with the feedback, most folks have enough sense to recognize a tirade of BS when they see it. They will appreciate the tip off too.

This seems to be the way shops are doing business now. Nearly every gun dealer I know now offers guns on the web. The prices can be very fair and most are readily negotiable except auction bids of course. The shipping, transfer, and brokerage fees might seem a bit high. However, if you figure how much time, gas/travel expenses, gun show admission fees, etc you spend in finding the right gun, plus the huge size of the market you can draw on, it definately has advantages.