16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Reloading Polywads 16 ga. Vintager hull
Bryan Lee
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:27 pm  Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I'm not new to reloading. I use a MEC jr. to reload for my 28 gauge.

But, I do have some questions about reloading the Vintager hull.

FWIW, I just bought a 16 gauge L. C. Smith and it of course has short chambers. Hence the interest in reloading for it.

#1. The hull has 4 stars on the base. I'm told this means that it is a Cheddite hull that was sometimes used by Fiocchi. From the little bit of load data I've seen, it does use a Fiocchi primer.

#2. I'd like to purchase another Mec Jr. in 16 gauge. I understand that there is a conversion kit that will allow me to load the 2.5 inch hull. I assume that the best place to get this kit is directly from MEC?

#3. I'm very interested in low pressure 7/8 or 1 ounce loads for this hull.
How can I join the low pressure group? I'd happily pay for some tried and true data.

Thanks for your help,

Bryan
Bronco
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:08 am  Reply with quote

Bryan,
I purchased the adapter directly from MEC. It works like a charm. Either buy new 2.5in Cheddite hulls or cut down 2.75in hulls, learn about skiiving and, with the adapter, start reloading for your new baby. I joined the Low Pressure reloading group and it was money well spent. You may have read that reloading the 2.5in is difficult. Don't believe it. It's just like loading any other hull. Bob
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:56 am  Reply with quote

All other things being equal, the only real difference between reloading a 2-1/2" hull and a 2-3/4" is the extra 1/4" of filler needed to take up the space between the powder and the shot in order to get a good crimp in the longer hull. Some existing plastic one piece wads are already suitable for use in the shorter shell. Others can be modified by cutting away the center compression section and substituting fiber or felt wads of the correct thickness.

The 2-1/2 inch hull will generate a tad less pressure in a 2-3/4 inch chamber, because the shot colunm gets an extra 1/4" run at the forcing cone. The pressure difference will be so minor with most moderate loads as to be not worth mentioning.

Any increase in pressure would matter only in those loads that approach the top of the pressure range for the gun being used. Since most 2-1/2 inch chambered guns are designed to operate at a lower pressure range that 2-3/4 inch chambered guns, the reloaded ammo should be designed with very moderate pressures in the first place. Just stay at or below the mid point of your gun's pressure range and you can't get into trouble.