16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Model 37 Ithaca bad day gun.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:39 am  Reply with quote

Of all the 16 ga repeaters made, the Model 37 has always felt the handiest to me. Well, I finally found one with a ribbed barrel at a sane price. Its fine mechanically, the wood is dinged a bit but solid. The gun will clean up right smartly.

I plan to trim the barrel to about 24" to make it feel and manuver like a 28" hinge gun. I'll have Mike Orlen install the tubes, and have the metal redone in a flat black milspec finish so it sheds water like a duck. I can clean up the dings and scratches of the stock and fore end and apply a clear, flat finish suitable for wet weather use.

This one will go with me on the days too wet for hinge guns but not too wet to hunt. These old pumps were designed to break down, dry out, and clean up far easier than a hinge gun. They do just that. They shoot good too. 16GG.
TJC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:59 am  Reply with quote

Nice find. Have fun with your "project gun".

woodcock
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:28 pm  Reply with quote

With a 24" bbl. make sure your ear defenders fit well. Eh!
Haiwee
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:50 pm  Reply with quote

I've owned several M37's through the years, in all three gauges, and I've always felt they were the best made, most fun-to-shoot pumps on the market. I only own one now -- a 16 made in the fifties -- and it's my favorite gun to shoot. Action smooth as butter and I usually hit what I aim at.

16gaugeguy wrote:

This one will go with me on the days too wet for hinge guns but not too wet to hunt.

I didn't realize there ever were days when it was too wet to hunt Laughing
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:47 am  Reply with quote

Now that you have a real American gun, perhaps the Citori can ride along in the canoe, just in case the motor breaks, the oars were left at home, and you need a paddle to row back to shore with? Or, BETTER, an "implement" to fish the decoys out of the muck?
Best,
Ted
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:22 am  Reply with quote

16gg: If possible, please try and post some pics of the gun before the restoration and after the restoration.

thanks!

Matt
john l
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:55 pm  Reply with quote

I have the gun that you are talking about. I sent it back to Ithaca for a reblue and had tham fit a 24" bbl with chokes to it. It is a very nice all around hunting gun. I think you will like it very much. Have fun.
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:05 am  Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
I have one for sale on the for sale page. For some reason, I couldn't get logged on and my post showed up as "guest."
Check it out. $250 and I will pay shipping.
XVI

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:54 pm  Reply with quote

Ted Schefelbein wrote:
Now that you have a real American gun, perhaps the Citori can ride along in the canoe, just in case the motor breaks, the oars were left at home, and you need a paddle to row back to shore with? Or, BETTER, an "implement" to fish the decoys out of the muck?
Best,
Ted

Geez Ted, tell us how you really feel about the Citori. Laughing Thanks for the encouragement too...I think!!!??? Wink Laughing And thanks to everyone else who gave me an attaboy. I've been wanting one of these for a long while. Ithaca kept popping in an out of business so fast, I got dizzy just trying to catch them making a few. Anyway, I got one now.YIPPEE!! CF, Posting pictures? you sure you want to risk your screen? Laughing Actually, I do not have the equipment nor the knowhow to do this. I also usually never have the money to upgrade my stuff or get the new camera. I keep finding al these neato guns to buy. So many guns. So little time. Wink

PS: Guest. I saw your gun. Too bad it did not have a ribbed barrel. I need one. I started out shooting a shotgun with a rib and have done so now for over 30 years. Any O/U or single barreled gun without a rib shoots over everything for me. I usually touch the bead or the top of the rib to the target or just cut its bottom off with the bead as I swing through it. This is the sight picture, image, or barrel bird relationship(whatever you wish to call it) that automatically or reflexively triggers my shot. I usually bring a plain barrelled gun up too high and shoot over the target. 30 years of practice have ingrained the reflex response to the visual image or stimulus. Its all very unconsious on my part. anyway, good luck selling it.
Grousen
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:54 pm  Reply with quote

Ted,

My 16 gauge sissytori lightning feather is quite hurt by your remarks. However, my 16 gauge Ithaca 37R can't stop smiling!! Now I have to go wipe down my sissytori again to make it feel better. It is still upset that I brought the Ithaca home.
TJC
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:50 pm  Reply with quote

You could always make them both mad and go get a nice old Sterly. Very Happy

pappy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:47 am  Reply with quote

I had a 12ga M37 barrell at 24 in. It did not balance well. Think about a 26inch 16 ga. I had one of those that was very handy on doves. Mike Orlen does do great work.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:08 pm  Reply with quote

One nice thing about having a tubular magazine right under the barrel on a pump is that you can stuff a weighted magazine plug in there and balance that puppy to whatever feel you want or you can take some wood out of the stock bolt hole.

I tried a cut down ribbed 37 16ga with a hollowed out butt. It was like magic--quick, responsive and right smack between the hands so it turned on its central axis like a top. It felt like a double. That's where I got this hair brained idea. you didn't think I was smart enough to come up with it myself did you? Well bless your charitable heart if you did. Laughing
Brian Meckler
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:30 pm  Reply with quote

16gg,

step away from the barrel, put away that saw and leave the gun alone.

Don't cut the barrels. buy a new set from Ithaca gun
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:27 am  Reply with quote

Brian, believe me, this one is not in anywhere near collectable status. It has all kinds of cosmetic issues, but is mechanically very sound. I would not monkey with or redo a clean one. Besides, I have already contacted the new company several times with no response. Rumor has it they never really got off the ground and the attempt has been aborted. I don't know for certain. I do know they haven't responded at all to repeated price and availability inquiries. That is not the sign of a going concern. Something isn't right. If anyone out there has the latest skinny on Ithaca, please let us know.

PS: Brian, are you under the impression this is a double gun? you mentioned barrel set. This is the 37 pump gun. Its not a Flues or NID.