16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  1 1/8 Oz loads?
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:44 pm  Reply with quote

BCLAYS -lets kick the basterd out
MGF-if you are in this area let me know--I run a very relaxed club and if you can't make it on a regular night/day no problem.I'll open it up and we can shoot a few birds.
16crazy
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:59 pm  Reply with quote

Hey MGF
The load is the old Remington Premier Field. Remington discontinued the load about 10 years ago. I had very good luck with it on tough Wisconsin and South Dakota Pheasants. So when Gander closed them out at $5.99 a box I picked up several cases. I only use these on pheasants so the lasted this long. Currently I am about out and am not sure if I will reload some or try the Golden Pheasant load.

16crazy
IFL16's
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:21 pm  Reply with quote

Larry, Federal does (or at least did) make a 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 oz. load. I've been seeing them at gun shows here in Oregon and buying them up. They say Classic Field Load on them. They have the same two piece wad as the 3 1/4 dram Federal but their pellet count is only 250 compared to the 270 in the 3 1/4 dram load. They only shoot about an inch tighter in my open barrels at 20 yards and put about 20 less pellets in the 30 inch circle at 40 yards and are still a pretty stiff load in a light gun. I can't really tell the difference between them when patterning.

Larry
MGF
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:44 pm  Reply with quote

Well, thanks much hoa ... I ever get near Paris, I'll give you a yell.

Re this fall, I think I'll be pretty well set with shells I can find around here. But, as I'm sure all of you guys do, I go anywhere that sells shells, I check out what they've got in every gauge. Always good to have a well-stocked shell pantry. Was at a Wally World in Morris, Ill., the other day and picked up a 10-box case of the 12 ga. Winchester Super Speeds in 1 oz for $35 and 2 4-packs of the Remington Sport Loads in 20 ga for $15 each.

Didn't have a terrible need for 'em, but I don't reload, so when I see cheap shells in either #7.5 or #8, I grab some. Figure I'll burn 'em up sooner or later ... probably sooner.

Re the 16, I just need next weekend to get here. It is just plain wrong to have a new gun, a whole bunch of shells and have to wait to shoot. I've salved my angst somewhat by ordering one of the SKB Dry Bag breakdown cases in 28" and some 16 Ga. snap caps from Cabela's so, baby will be nicely dressed when she gets out ... but, darn it, I need to get out there!

Mr. Brown, good to see your posts. I've enjoyed your columns and articles, sir.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:18 am  Reply with quote

Those Federal 2 3/4 dram loads don't show up in the most recent catalog I have, although I did not check their website. But my guess is it's something they no longer make. The Remington Premiers were great--copper plated, even. Wish I'd bought some more of them before they stopped making them.

That, by the way, is a wise piece of advice when it comes to anything 16ga related: If you find something a bit odd that you like, buy lots of it, because the manufacturer will soon stop making it.

MGF, thanks--although I catch flak from some guys because I write too much about 16's! I haven't let the secret out anywhere but here, but I get a cut from all the gun dealers and gunmakers every time they sell a 16.Smile
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:37 pm  Reply with quote

revdocdrew wrote:

Dr 16g.-You mean dogs actually point birds within 30 yds of the shooter?!-I'm thrilled when my setters happen to be on point in the same county I'm in. That's the nice thing about hunting the KS prairie-you can see a dog from WAY off. Confused

Uh Rev... ever hear the quote, "Its the Indian not the arrow?". I think it is very appropro for those ditzy brain dead setters if they can't get on point in the same county. I keep telling you, Brittanys are the way to go. LOL

Seriously, as dry as it has been in KS, I was surprised that the dogs picked up any scent at all when we were out there in January. Not just Rev's dogs, but any dogs at all, no matter how good they are were struggling.

Cheers,

Brad
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:52 pm  Reply with quote

Interesting-I posted a couple weeks ago that had I had been unable to find any 16g. 1 and 1/8 loads here in Phoenix or at 2 Cabelas last fall. Just went by Sportsman's Warehouse and suddenly appeared Winchester Super X 1 and 1/8 4s, 6s, and 71/2s and Federal Wing-Shok both 1 and 1/8 and 1 and 1/4 4s and 6s. No Fiocchi's and nothing in 5s. BUT Confused not a single box of 1 oz. 16g. loads. Any and every 20g. load of course including 5s. Confused Confused A rather small gun shop not too far away has 3 cases of 7 and 1/2 Federal Game-Shoks for $57/case Confused Confused Confused A Cabelas is going up right now by the new Cardinal's stadium and should be open in August-might help.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:15 pm  Reply with quote

See the 'K-Mart comes through for 16ers' thread over on the Ammo forum. Very Happy