16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Ithaca Classic Doubles (ICD)
kb
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:45 pm  Reply with quote

I have posted a message similar to this one in a couple of spots on the GunTalk message board, but I would like the feedback of readers on the ITHACA CLASSIC DOUBLES of Victor, NY that Stephen Lamboy headed up. They ceased operations in May 2003 but their shotguns appeared to be quite nice.

Comments by readers of this forum on ICD guns would be interesting.

Also ....I like reading catalogs and advertising materials of certain shotgun manufacturers. If any one has material like this from Ithaca Classic Doubles PLEASE let me know.

Thanks!

KB
kbukovich@emich.edu
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:20 am  Reply with quote

I had a nice 4-E with grade 7-E wood made for me by the vactory. A sweet little gun=but was too light for my taste. Peices have almost doubled since the shop closed. I have some 3 page catalogs. Can forward one if you wish.

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:26 am  Reply with quote

I think the usual evaluation on these guns is that the later ones were better than the earlier ones. Initially, they had problems with the barrels and actions they got from Italy, had to do a lot of filing and hand-fitting. And they always used really nice wood, but I thought the fit wasn't as good as it should have been on the early guns--wood very proud to the metal. Later on, they improved--at least from what I saw. Unfortunately, ICD went out of business. Don't know how many guns, total, they turned out.

Also, if you're in the market to buy, beware the ICD "rejects" out there on the market. These are usually sold as Mario Beschis, for about half the price (or less) of an equivalent ICD. There were reasons why they were not sold as ICD's.
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:27 pm  Reply with quote

kb wrote:

Comments by readers of this forum on ICD guns would be interesting.

Funny that you are asking, I just hunted down in Mississippi at the end of the quail season with an old boy that had an ICD 5E 28ga. It was a fine little gun. I shot it a couple of times and really liked it.

Needless to say I was a bit stickershocked when I looked up the prices for them. Like Larry and Hal said, the prices have about doubled or even tripled from the price that my friend paid for his.

It was case colored, looked really nice with gorgeous figured wood in the stock. He had it IC/Mod set up and was really deadly on the quail. A very impressive little gun. Like I said, I liked it enough that I came home and did some research into possibly buying one. It's on my list if I see a good price on one.

Good luck.

KyBrad

P.S. its nice to be back in town after being away for a couple of weeks... whew.